Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can You make EVERY God Competitiv?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Issirak's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class

Can You make EVERY God Competitiv?

Ok, i know, that this is a huuuuge request.

The thing is following:
    We have 75 Gods (for now) each with his own kid and abilitys, styles and lores and skins.
    But some Gods are better than others.
    Of course, you will always have Gods that are better in certain combos or against certain gods... Vamana or Bellona has it waaay easier against a physical god than for example guan yu, because Bellona cancels Autoattacks and Vamana gets Power through phys protection. Awilix will be better with a Sobek or Bacchus, who can knock up enemys, than with an ymir, who can't.
    And Neith is certainly safer for new Players than artemis.

But If you think about it: We have like ... 20 or 30 Gods, that are picked or banned in Legue. Why?
    If you compare Anubis with Agni: Agni has an easy to hit AoE stun, Anubis has a hard to hit single taget stun. Agni does lots of damge instantly, Anubis does it per dot. Agni has an escape and mobility ability, anbuis has not.
    Why should i pick Anubis over Agni? I do like anubis and am propably stronger with him, than with agni. But if i take him, i get flamed, because he is "useless". I am demanded to pick Agni, for example.

So maybe we can check the Gods and why they arn't taken and change that fact, so everyone can be valuable, even tho the hardones may of course be harder to play.

For example Anubis:
    He has good and high damage. He is barly getting all the damage through. His stun is... hard to hit. He has no ability to escape and is one of the most squishiest mages. The Lifesteal is only of little help there.

How about we modify his Stun: We could keep it hard to hit and single stun, but could give it, a little like Osiris 2 and give the stuned target a area of effect, were the Gods have reduced movment and attackspeed. Using that in closecombat increases Anubis escape abilities. You could add, that they can't bodyblock at least anubis and he got an get away skill. Still easy to gank, still squishy and no mobility, but... at least something. You could also offer hots after each ability was used, but then again his passiv does already a lot. Maybe you could change Protection to "damagereduction per tic... like 10 Ticks gives you 40% damage reduction or so, and then he isn't as squishy again.
    My point of view is: Anubis is too easily ganged and than done for. These changes would make gangik him harder and so he would become a more valuable god.

What do you think? do you have Gods you think are out of the Meta and do you have ideas how to change them to get back into?

Easy question: why isn't he picked? How could you work against it?

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor

To put it bluntly, it's impossible to make every god competitively viable. It still doesn't mean you can't play them or do good with them.
    Rip & Tear

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    It would be impossible. There will always be those top 3 characters that are better than anyone else in any competitive setting in any game series. No matter what happens it will be a viscous cycle.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    It would take too much effort and time to make very single one of the gods competitively viable.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Junior Member Cupidhead Cezzyak's Avatar
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Is he joking ? Are you debating if you should pick Agni over Anubis ? Go Anubis all the way ,just practice your stun .

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Issirak View Post
    Ok, i know, that this is a huuuuge request.

The thing is following:
    We have 75 Gods (for now) each with his own kid and abilitys, styles and lores and skins.
    But some Gods are better than others.
    Of course, you will always have Gods that are better in certain combos or against certain gods... Vamana or Bellona has it waaay easier against a physical god than for example guan yu, because Bellona cancels Autoattacks and Vamana gets Power through phys protection. Awilix will be better with a Sobek or Bacchus, who can knock up enemys, than with an ymir, who can't.
    And Neith is certainly safer for new Players than artemis.

But If you think about it: We have like ... 20 or 30 Gods, that are picked or banned in Legue. Why?
    If you compare Anubis with Agni: Agni has an easy to hit AoE stun, Anubis has a hard to hit single taget stun. Agni does lots of damge instantly, Anubis does it per dot. Agni has an escape and mobility ability, anbuis has not.
    Why should i pick Anubis over Agni? I do like anubis and am propably stronger with him, than with agni. But if i take him, i get flamed, because he is "useless". I am demanded to pick Agni, for example.

So maybe we can check the Gods and why they arn't taken and change that fact, so everyone can be valuable, even tho the hardones may of course be harder to play.

For example Anubis:
    He has good and high damage. He is barly getting all the damage through. His stun is... hard to hit. He has no ability to escape and is one of the most squishiest mages. The Lifesteal is only of little help there.

How about we modify his Stun: We could keep it hard to hit and single stun, but could give it, a little like Osiris 2 and give the stuned target a area of effect, were the Gods have reduced movment and attackspeed. Using that in closecombat increases Anubis escape abilities. You could add, that they can't bodyblock at least anubis and he got an get away skill. Still easy to gank, still squishy and no mobility, but... at least something. You could also offer hots after each ability was used, but then again his passiv does already a lot. Maybe you could change Protection to "damagereduction per tic... like 10 Ticks gives you 40% damage reduction or so, and then he isn't as squishy again.
    My point of view is: Anubis is too easily ganged and than done for. These changes would make gangik him harder and so he would become a more valuable god.

What do you think? do you have Gods you think are out of the Meta and do you have ideas how to change them to get back into?

Easy question: why isn't he picked? How could you work against it?
    He is just really hard to use, no escapes, 2 roots, squishy, has to be in reletively close range to do anything and so on. But Anubis pros do exist, just it's way harder to use him well than some newer gods. But no. Perfect balance is a thing of fairy tales - it doesn't exist.
    "In love with tides and snowflakes..."

Welcome Season 4 with all of its freshness!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErkMcGurk View Post
    You can do well with any god and any build.
    Embrace the cold...

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Verfügikus's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    U know, in WoW the community was complaining 24/7, that the game was unbalanced, and yes, it had always been unbalanced, starting with Vanilla, ALWAYS. They tried, and tried, and tried, but different mechanics will always lead to an unbalanced product. You can't expect that - it is just too hard to balance it 100%. But HiRez are not doing a bad job. A much better job than Blizzard ever did.

Also funny you mention Guan Yu as a "non-competible" God ..
    Doctor Adams.
    He uses the machine. The star machine.
    He uses it, to erase minds. Planetarium.
    About to go out of business.
    Adams had to create slaves to survive.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Verfügikus View Post
    U know, in WoW the community was complaining 24/7, that the game was unbalanced, and yes, it had always been unbalanced, starting with Vanilla, ALWAYS. They tried, and tried, and tried, but different mechanics will always lead to an unbalanced product. You can't expect that - it is just too hard to balance it 100%. But HiRez are not doing a bad job. A much better job than Blizzard ever did.

Also funny you mention Guan Yu as a "non-competible" God ..
    Yeah, hard to believe, but we Hirez is better at balancing than Blizzard
    Yes, Guan Yu is in fact super amazing, he is a pinacle of balance imo.
    "In love with tides and snowflakes..."

Welcome Season 4 with all of its freshness!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErkMcGurk View Post
    You can do well with any god and any build.
    Embrace the cold...

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezzyak View Post
    Is he joking ? Are you debating if you should pick Agni over Anubis ? Go Anubis all the way ,just practice your stun .
    Or go with the actually viable route and pick Agni. Mass stuns and escape>single target stun no escape.
    Rip & Tear

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Issirak View Post
    We have like ... 20 or 30 Gods, that are picked or banned in Legue. Why?

ANY god can be viable, depending on your skill level. Maybe you should try league play with people that are not random solo picks.

You are fighting against opinion. And you can't change the opinion of others.

Look.. If Ratataskr (the so called "worst god in smite") can CARRY the team in the SPLs, as a solo lane pick... Then the entire "this god isn't viable," / should never be used mentality has been broken right there. It just takes a high amount of skill.

If you like Goobis, pick goobis. Who cares?! No one has a right to tell you how to have fun, and enjoy the game
    I Am an Eternal Nublet.
    The noobiest noob in all of nooberton!

To answer everyone.. I had never even heard of Ravana, from the Hindu pantheon, when I chose this name.... over a decade ago.