Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Banned Honoured Splifflord LaFleur's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    If you're looking for something for self-defence then Judo or Kempo are what you should look into

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KFire View Post
    That is rough. I have never been in a street fight and i hope to continue like this lol.

I guess you could carry something like a knive, but carrying a katana is a bit too much :P
    heh i dont carry a katana around me all the time, lol
    curiously every time i tell people i learned katana fight, they ask me if i go around like this

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaycrol View Post
    heh i dont carry a katana around me all the time, lol
    curiously every time i tell people i learned katana fight, they ask me if i go around like this
    Are you going to dissapoint us all by saying that you dont :P?

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    Research krav maga and you'll learn that it has been quite over hyped, its not bad but definitely over hyped.

Muay Thai and jujitsu actually does give you a good foundation for strikes, grapples and ground combat. I had planned to learn martial arts when I first started college, but I never got to due to funds.

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifflord LaFleur View Post
    If you're looking for something for self-defence then Judo or Kempo are what you should look into
    I think those grabbing martial arts bring great techniques to self defense, but just by themselves they are quite ineffective in a real fight scenario.

They are great in a 1v1, but if you ever get to the ground in a fight that you may thing is 1v1, the opponent may have friends hidden in the crowds. People are usually accompanied.

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person Veteran
    I think those grabbing martial arts bring great techniques to self defense, but just by themselves they are quite ineffective in a real fight scenario.

They are great in a 1v1, but if you ever get to the ground in a fight that you may thing is 1v1, the opponent may have friends hidden in the crowds. People are usually accompanied.
    Unless you are just looking for trouble, normally you would never go into a fight against many (but I guess I don't live anywhere dangerous).
    Movies aside, if you are versus multiple opponents you will likely get hurt regardless of how well you know a fighting style. The people you will likely fight with in that situation have done street fighting before, and even if you are an expert in a martial art, they would know how to fight dirty. In such a situation a concealed weapon (like a non-lethal spring baton) may most often be the best choice.
    Last edited by Aurasai; 04-22-2016 at 01:26 AM.

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurasai View Post
    Unless you are just looking for trouble, normally you would never go into a fight against many (but I guess I don't live anywhere dangerous).
    Movies aside, if you are versus multiple opponents you will likely get hurt regardless of how well you know a fighting style. The people you will likely fight with in that situation have done street fighting before, and even if you are an expert in a martial art, they would know how to fight dirty. In such a situation a concealed weapon (like a non-lethal spring baton) may most often be the best choice.
    I wouldnt try to get in a fight even with 1 if i can avoid it by giving my wallet. Idk who may have a concealed firearm or a knive.

However, the main difference between a street fight and a ring fight is that ring fights should be fair 1v1 and around the same advantages for both. On the other hand, in street fights you are more likely to be in disadvantage if you are the one that is being fighted upon. As i said, people are rarely alone. Even if you get into a 1v1, the opponent may have friends near by.

It really does not make sense to learn a martial art for self defense and expect that you will be in even condition with your opponents. You prepare for the worst and if the best comes (1v1, no weapons), then you are just overqualified to it. However, you still have to fight him like if you are boxing 1v1 without wards haha. Be on the lookout for an enemy gank.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Are you going to dissapoint us all by saying that you dont :P?
    i still need some armor like this, would be damn cool (and kinda creepy) to walk around as a samurai.......even tho i might get kicked out of several supermarkets for that XD

Banned Honoured Splifflord LaFleur's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Kempo is a striking art based around zoning, fluid movement and striking and counterattacks

Judo is a grappling art, yes going to the ground in a street fight situation is pretty much never a good idea, though unlike it's derivative BJJ it offers a lot of options that will keep you on both feet while taking your opponent off of theirs.

Senior Member Honoured TyrIsOPBruh's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 31 days registered 1000 Experience Points
    If you are gunna learn martial arts, just remember to weight lift too, that way you can strike with power and cut weight so that you are lighter.
    It is my solemn duty to represent all Hurdlers on the Smite Forums!