Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Repped! First Class

Martial Arts

I am thinking about starting a martial art.

-I am planning on train on my own cuz i dont have time to go to training.
    -My main focus is on self defense also self confidence and some work out.

I dont think I have ever have a fight in my life lol, but i would rather feel like i can defend myself or somebody else.

So far I am deciding for Muay Thai. I prefer a striking martial art.

I may learn something like brazilian jiu jitsu after already being comfortable on a striking martial art of course if I am still interest on it at that moment.

Some tips.
    Does anyone has any experience on any martial art?
    Other suggestions? again easy to learn on my own and powerful in a self defense situation.

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,748
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Krav Maga is what I plan on going into. It's not so much a martial art as much as it's just very effective military close quarters combat. You can be a master at Krav Maga in a matter of months, compared to the years it takes for traditional martial arts. It's taught to US Special Forces, Iraqi and Belgium Military, and multiple other (para)military units.

I seriously suggest actually attending classes when you begin a martial art btw. Having an experienced instructor watching you and correcting your posture will prevent injuries and stop bad habits.

Take a simple punch for example. There's several ways to use your body to punch, depending on your stance, martial art, and intent. Take Karate for example. To through a straight, basic punch, you rotate the entire body from your toes to your finger tips while tightening/loosening different muscles. You need to learn what muscles to actually use when you punch/kick, or you could end up having a useless punch or even worse hurting yourself from straining/pulling your arm/shoulder/back/hips/legs.

Tl/DR - Plan to go to an instructor at least once in a while, or you could end up hurting yourself very easily.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 04-21-2016 at 12:57 AM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 876
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KingScuba View Post
    Krav Maga... very effective military close quarters combat. You can be a master at Krav Maga in a matter of months, compared to the years it takes for traditional martial arts. It's taught to US Special Forces, Iraqi and Belgium Military, and multiple other (para)military units.
    This ! That's it

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person Veteran
    As, I doubt knife throwing and a few moves that I've learned (most likely incorrectly) over the internet, can be considered martial arts, I have no experience there. In the past I wanted to learn Capoeira, but it wasn't available in my region. Due to my affinity to sharp, pointy, metal objects I am also trying to find a HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts) club, but have the same problem there.

Now, with work and everything, I don't think I will have the time.

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Well friend the pupper here trained in Tai -Kwan-Do, Tung-So-Do, and Hap-Ki-Do for 6 years and is a registered second degree black belt. :3

Because things I cam recommend is stretching and repetition.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I for myself, learned Capoeira a while ago, and still training it here and then. It's pretty fun, and good with nice and chill music. If you need something you can actually take really relaxed, i can only recommend to get a look into it^^
    I also learned basic Katana and Greatsword fight, and some Katar fighting, Kusarigama aswell......tho the last can be pretty dangerous without the rule "safety first", Kusarigama is nothing you should toy around with X3

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Repped! First Class
    Krav Maga is what I plan on going into. It's not so much a martial art as much as it's just very effective military close quarters combat. You can be a master at Krav Maga in a matter of months, compared to the years it takes for traditional martial arts. It's taught to US Special Forces, Iraqi and Belgium Military, and multiple other (para)military units.
    Yeah i was considering Krav Maga too. I am going to investigate some more.

There is also Systema that is used by Russian troops.

And Muay Thai that is from Thai duh.

I seriously suggest actually attending classes when you begin a martial art btw. Having an experienced instructor watching you and correcting your posture will prevent injuries and stop bad habits.

Take a simple punch for example. There's several ways to use your body to punch, depending on your stance, martial art, and intent. Take Karate for example. To through a straight, basic punch, you rotate the entire body from your toes to your finger tips while tightening/loosening different muscles. You need to learn what muscles to actually use when you punch/kick, or you could end up having a useless punch or even worse hurting yourself from straining/pulling your arm/shoulder/back/hips/legs.

Tl/DR - Plan to go to an instructor at least once in a while, or you could end up hurting yourself very easily.
    The issue is that i work full time and attend to university classes full time too. My time is not that flexible and I dont have much. I am gonna check some gyms and see what time do they have classes. However, next semester I will have a schedule totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicFighter View Post
    Well friend the pupper here trained in Tai -Kwan-Do, Tung-So-Do, and Hap-Ki-Do for 6 years and is a registered second degree black belt. :3

Because things I cam recommend is stretching and repetition.
    Dang. I am impressed. I am white belt in Karate back when i was 11 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aurasai View Post
    As, I doubt knife throwing and a few moves that I've learned (most likely incorrectly) over the internet, can be considered martial arts, I have no experience there. In the past I wanted to learn Capoeira, but it wasn't available in my region. Due to my affinity to sharp, pointy, metal objects I am also trying to find a HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts) club, but have the same problem there.

Now, with work and everything, I don't think I will have the time.
    I am the same with the time.

The only pointy things I trow regularly are darts. I have a boar in my room full of holes :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaycrol View Post
    I for myself, learned Capoeira a while ago, and still training it here and then. It's pretty fun, and good with nice and chill music. If you need something you can actually take really relaxed, i can only recommend to get a look into it^^
    I also learned basic Katana and Greatsword fight, and some Katar fighting, Kusarigama aswell......tho the last can be pretty dangerous without the rule "safety first", Kusarigama is nothing you should toy around with X3
    I may be wrong, but I dont think Capoeria is that great for self defense. I also believe it requires tons of training lol.

I have no clue of the rest. I have mixed feeling for the weapons. I may not have them when i need them for self defense. For sure if you have your katana, you will chop me to pieces regarding my fight style. And that kuragisama looks dangerous for sure lol.

Yet again self defense is my goal.

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KFire View Post
    I may be wrong, but I dont think Capoeria is that great for self defense. I also believe it requires tons of training lol.

I have no clue of the rest. I have mixed feeling for the weapons. I may not have them when i need them for self defense. For sure if you have your katana, you will chop me to pieces regarding my fight style. And that kuragisama looks dangerous for sure lol.

Yet again self defense is my goal.
    I am likely the wrong person to talk about this, but every fighting style has its pros and cons. Capoeira is basically hiding your strikes in constant movement. A roundhouse kick from Capoeira is utterly devastating as you are using your entire body mass for one giant unexpected sweeping kick, that you can easily follow up with a second one if you miss, and blocking such an attack is extremely painful.

As for "weapons" I pretty much always have a knife in me and a machete/small axe in the car, but their intended purpose are not as a weapon, but as a tool (I like woodcarving and cutlery in many restaurants are insultingly dull)

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Senior Member Chosen ViralMarketer's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    All I can say, don't try Karate Kyokushin, as it is useless. I've trained for 6 years and had 1st Kyu (the one before black belt a.k.a Dan). I've had multiple street fights and Karate helped me only in 1v1s when I'd call out the leader of the group. The rules on the street are completely different than on setup tournament scenes, I would win 1v1s with a simple kick in the head, but then getting hunted down over the months for revenge and having to deal with 3-4 people. I wasn't prepared for that shit. A couple of times I've managed to escape, but one time I couldn't, barely managed to stand on my feet and get home. I'd probably get killed if a passing car wouldn't stop by with a bunch of people shouting out of it to leave me alone.

Since that day I'm carrying a knife, AND THE ONLY DAY I FORGOT IT AT HOME I GOT ATTACKED, there was a group of 5 fkn people and it was dark af and with my -5 vision I couldn't see or do shit, thankfully they weren't the cannibal kind and let me go after not finding anything in my pockets. You know it's like taking an umbrella expecting a rain, but it never does rain, until you forget it.

Achievements:
    That is rough. I have never been in a street fight and i hope to continue like this lol.

I guess you could carry something like a knive, but carrying a katana is a bit too much :P