Thread: Matchmaking Question

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386

Unhappy Matchmaking Question

I recently played a game of versus conquest in which i queued solo. My team consisted of 3 people who were a 2100 elo and 2 of which including me had lots of conquest experience, the third had very little compared to us. We also had two people with a lot lower elos. One of them was a 1200 with very little conquest experience and the other was a 1500 with very little conquest experience. The other team consisted of a 1700, 1800, 2000, 2500, and 2300. Why does this stuff happen?I I should at the very least be queued with people around my elo not 900 to 600 lower.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Somehow I feel the same. Matchmaking is nonexistent in console. 600+ hours gamers embeded into a team of 1st timers. I don't mind beginners but all 4 of them landing on my side? Sadly enough, I still think arena is a nice game mode to pay shorter and less involved games but it has the worst player pool of all queues.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points
    Matchmaking is based off a cumulative ELO system where teams have a similar average ELO; i.e. all of the ELO on one team divided by 5 would be similar to that of the other team. The issue that this system has is that the search system itself has boundaries which are removed after x minutes so that people can find a game sooner rathern than later. At times, the system does fail to take into account that the skill level of someone does not necessarily mean that they will have a high ELO since smurfs and bad teammates usually results in a smaller ELO. Hopefully this helps with understanding the ELO system, and in thr future, I would suggest playing with friends since it is a team based game, and as such, it will improve your experience.
    Hi, I play on the Xbox version of Smite. I prefer to Jungle but I can fill pretty well.
    Gamertag: TsuToNami
    Current Diamonds: Ne Zha, Bellona, Osiris, Ravana, Xing Tian, Chaac, Ares, Tyr, Chronos, Hel, Hou Yi, Nemesis.
    "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail..." 'Maslow's Hammer' - Abraham Maslow, 1966

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    tsunami I thought it was trying to match individual elo not the average ?

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    So I assume this was a ranked match.

The match making in ranked is drastically different than casual.

This may not be 100% accurate, so bare with me.

As far as I know, when you queue into ranked (regardless of mode) it tries...and emphasis on tries here, to place you into matches with similar elo score.

However there is one difference that ranked has over casual. The timer.

"But the timer exists in both!" I hear you crying out, yes it does...but there is an inner mechanism that is different.

You see the longer you are queued in a ranked match, the wider the search for players get.

I don't know exact times, so for this post I will use randomly selected time frames.

Between 0-30 seconds, the queue will mainly focus on elo scores and connections similar to yours.

Between 30-1 min the queue now expands the search since it can't find enough people playing ranked, thus allowing for higher and lower elo scores.

After 1 min the search will expand every 30 seconds you remain in the queue without finding a match. Thus allowing for vast differences in elo scores.

Once enough players are found it prompts the accept screen. Either all players will accept, or the queue will restart and repeat the process...possibly keeping some of the players that were found in the previous match up to help on time.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack