Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Any chance we could receive some sort of Territory control gametype?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Prestigious EpicWinnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lighting it up with Ra.
    Posts
    3,263
    15
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor
    Rep Power
    11

    Any chance we could receive some sort of Territory control gametype?

    I wasn't around for the original Domination map (I believe I started RIGHT after it was discontinued, someone check me on that), but every time I played it for the MOTD, I ALWAYS had a blast.

    Has Hi Rez given any indication whether or not we'll get any sort of similar game type/map to it in the future?
    "I lost to it, so it must be broken" - Every complaint thread ever.

    Concept for The Hydra, Greek Serpentine Monster:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ror-of-Lernaea

    Concept for Yum Kaax, Mayan God of the Wild:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...od-of-the-Wild

    Concept for Krishna, Dashvatara:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...atar-of-Vishnu

  2. #2
    Member Worshipper Huntchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Arena
    Posts
    411
    7
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicWinnar View Post
    I wasn't around for the original Domination map (I believe I started RIGHT after it was discontinued, someone check me on that), but every time I played it for the MOTD, I ALWAYS had a blast.

    Has Hi Rez given any indication whether or not we'll get any sort of similar game type/map to it in the future?
    Nope. Aside from Arena, they prefer the same ol' lane game.

    Arena
    Lane 1v1
    Lane 3v3
    Lane 4v4
    Lane 5v5
    Lane 5v5 Randoms

    Shame too, I'd probably have more fun in the game if Dom did ever return.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Prestigious EpicWinnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lighting it up with Ra.
    Posts
    3,263
    15
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntchez View Post
    Nope. Aside from Arena, they prefer the same ol' lane game.

    Arena
    Lane 1v1
    Lane 3v3
    Lane 4v4
    Lane 5v5
    Lane 5v5 Randoms

    Shame too, I'd probably have more fun in the game if Dom did ever return.
    Why you gotta break balls?
    "I lost to it, so it must be broken" - Every complaint thread ever.

    Concept for The Hydra, Greek Serpentine Monster:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ror-of-Lernaea

    Concept for Yum Kaax, Mayan God of the Wild:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...od-of-the-Wild

    Concept for Krishna, Dashvatara:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...atar-of-Vishnu

  4. #4
    Senior Member Chosen Dadnaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympus
    Posts
    1,512
    14
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Achievements:
    Party Person 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    8
    You will never know, maybe it'll come some day

  5. #5
    Senior Member Honoured TyrIsOPBruh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Probably hurdling or in a match lobby.
    Posts
    721
    4
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 31 days registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    5
    I hope it comes back, I would totally play it if it ever did
    It is my solemn duty to represent all Hurdlers on the Smite Forums!

  6. #6
    Junior Member Senior Cupidhead cmm5350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    1
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    6
    No one ever said more game modes we bad! Except for the critics who complain about spreading ques to thin with added game modes. Maybe more game modes are what it takes to draw in a bigger audience.
    GT: Its Irish x

  7. #7
    Senior Member Chosen KFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Killing Fire Giant
    Posts
    2,052
    12
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Repped! First Class
    Rep Power
    11
    Barely anyone played domination. That is why they took it out. No one queueing. Horrible matchmaking.

    I honestly not see it coming back. Sorry

  8. #8
    HiRez Staff Honoured HiRezPonPon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    550
    13
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm5350 View Post
    No one ever said more game modes we bad! Except for the critics who complain about spreading ques to thin with added game modes. Maybe more game modes are what it takes to draw in a bigger audience.
    This is a real concern. Splitting a playbase can have some rough effects; although what is more likely to happen is a temporary split before one more becomes irrelevant. Ranked Arena had this where initially it had some popularity, and Arena as a queue was strong enough to take the hit, but over time less and less people queued for ranked and went back to arena. Before long it wasn't sustainable. This left a sour taste in the mouths of the few people who enjoyed the Ranked Arena, but overall the match quality of that queue was really rough.

    Whenever we add a new game mode we need to be sure that it it won't be a detriment to the community as a whole.

    Domination simply wasn't popular to the point that is was an incredibly small portion of the playbase. If I recall it suffered the same fate as the Ranked Arena queue. If we were to do a Territory Control type mode we would likely need to start from square one and completely overhaul it. It would look nothing like Domination.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Infamous Azilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Morrigan! Trolling incoming
    Posts
    5,888
    23
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by HiRezPonPon View Post
    This is a real concern. Splitting a playbase can have some rough effects; although what is more likely to happen is a temporary split before one more becomes irrelevant. Ranked Arena had this where initially it had some popularity, and Arena as a queue was strong enough to take the hit, but over time less and less people queued for ranked and went back to arena. Before long it wasn't sustainable. This left a sour taste in the mouths of the few people who enjoyed the Ranked Arena, but overall the match quality of that queue was really rough.

    Whenever we add a new game mode we need to be sure that it it won't be a detriment to the community as a whole.

    Domination simply wasn't popular to the point that is was an incredibly small portion of the playbase. If I recall it suffered the same fate as the Ranked Arena queue. If we were to do a Territory Control type mode we would likely need to start from square one and completely overhaul it. It would look nothing like Domination.
    No offense to Hirez, but I would prefer a from scratch, Domination-esque game mode over Clash, since Clash doesn't bring new game art or anything new itself, really. It's just another team fight oriented, kill all the towers game mode.
    NOODLE FREEDOM FIGHTER!
    Also the potato queen

    And Dragon princess
    Miyo is love. Miyo is MiyoBatman. Test.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,352
    27
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by HiRezPonPon View Post
    This is a real concern. Splitting a playbase can have some rough effects; although what is more likely to happen is a temporary split before one more becomes irrelevant. Ranked Arena had this where initially it had some popularity, and Arena as a queue was strong enough to take the hit, but over time less and less people queued for ranked and went back to arena. Before long it wasn't sustainable. This left a sour taste in the mouths of the few people who enjoyed the Ranked Arena, but overall the match quality of that queue was really rough.

    Whenever we add a new game mode we need to be sure that it it won't be a detriment to the community as a whole.

    Domination simply wasn't popular to the point that is was an incredibly small portion of the playbase. If I recall it suffered the same fate as the Ranked Arena queue. If we were to do a Territory Control type mode we would likely need to start from square one and completely overhaul it. It would look nothing like Domination.
    Well you could still give it the egyptian theme. Or a Hindu theme. Not another greek map, I still have a strong distaste for Conquest 2.0.

    That aside, for a game mode to be functional, it has to be novel/interesting and fun to play but also in some way distinguish itself from existing gamemodes outside of factors like player numbers.

    Siege for example had a solid start. It is a mini conquest, but it made up for it by being much faster and having the siege mechanic, causing an overall much faster and chaotic game experience than what people knew from conquest while still being about tower defense and people enjoyed it for that. Subsequent changes took that concept and nerfed it in the wrong places, reducing the player number to 4 took alot of appeal out of the game and as players grew better (and with some item/god/gamechanges), the whole siege mechanic lost some of its meaning, especially as the game went on.

    There have been ideas on how to fix siege mode (I liked the idea of someone, posted recently to increase the teamcount to 5 again and redesign the map to an asymetric design with two juggernauts in the middle of the map, but HP numbers on Juggernauts need adjustments as well) sounded interesting and is a nice way to start to look at.


    In regards of dominion, it did try to do the right thing, and there were not too many flaws with it imo. The biggest issue that it had from my experience is that most players playing it had no idea how the game and the gamemode works. We have advanced training videos for all game modes that are helpful in this regard and something like that would be needed for a special gamemode like domination as well.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

    Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •