Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Nox

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!

Lightbulb Ideas for Nox

Back again with another Ideas thread, this time for my bb Nox.

While I think I can claim the glory of making the millionth thread about altering Nox's kit, there are several reasons. So, as I'm all sure you are aware of, Nox is having a field day in S3. The nerf to beads has made her combo guarantee a kill with relative ease, and I think she's become even more of a monster in Arena; hell, any other mode than she was back in S2.

So, why am I making an Ideas thread for Nox other than my absurd K/D rates with her in Arena? Well, it's because:

-Her kit is a blatant ripoff of Scylla's. Nox simply trades the armor shred for better CC and confirmable damage, and an ultimate that is better to use for sniping than Janus's.
    -She's the goddess of night, yet has nothing intrinsic to her kit about what she is the goddess of.
    -Her passive is laughably easy to nullify if you focus her in a fight. It's also unoriginal, being just a power buff.
    -Her combo is simple as hell and can easily secure a kill or keep someone long enough to get gangbanged. It works too effectively for its simple setup.

So, onto the good stuff. These aren't meant to rework Nox's kit entirely, just love taps that will balance her further and turn her into the anti-mage that she was meant to be.

Make Flame of the Night into a passive that rewards Nox upon silencing an enemy, as well as allowing Nox to utilize Night Terror's original effect again. What Night Terror originally did was punish an enemy for using an ability for a duration, dealing damage to them and continuing to do so. This was what made Nox a viable anti-mage, though too strong for the part as it gave her an accessible stun and could affect 3 gods at a time. So, here's that bonus effect again in a simpler version:

Passive — Ushering in the Night

Whenever Nox silences an enemy, she can now Usher an enemy in darkness upon silencing them for 3s, dealing 20 + 2 per level and + 5 per candle of magical damage to them every .5s for 2s whenever they use an ability during this period. Whenever an enemy uses an ability while Ushered, one of Nox's candles are lit.
    Revise Shadow Lock so it isn't needed to confirm Siphon Darkness's damage, give its hard CC right off the bat, and can function as a second wave-clear. Right now, it only serves the purpose of keeping an enemy down to either confirm Siphon Darkness's damage or keep them in place for allies to catch up. Very support-y, considering it doesn't even clear waves. So here's my idea to make it into its standalone ability.

Ability 1 — Shadow Lock

Passive — Raven-ous: If an enemy affected by Shadow Lock uses an ability during the channel, then that ability will have its mana cost increased by 20 + 5 per candle and CD by 1s per candle. The raven will then give Nox 50% of the mana cost accrued.

Nox's raven now damages for 80/140/160/200/240 (+40% power) and channels the shadow of the first enemy god hit to her. It will now slow that god by 20/25/30/35/40% for 2s. Nox can also corrupt their shadow while channeling it to her, draining their magical power by 4/5/6/7/8 (physical power by 2/3/4/5/6) for every .5s while they are locked for 2s, and will keep the stolen power indefinitely until she uses her next ability. Damage-over-time removed. Movement speed unchanged.
    Siphon Darkness shouldn't be so reliant on Shadow Lock just to confirm its absurd damage. Instead, it should properly silence enemies upon exploding so there is some chance to escape it. It should also function as an actual way to function as a proper way to clear waves and contest camps as you max it out, while losing the ability to keep an enemy in place as long as you originally could at rank 1.

Ability 2 — Siphon Darkness

Charge-up is changed to 1.5/1.25/1/.75/.5s. Will no longer silence enemies within its radius, but will increase their mana costs by 10 + 5 per candle instead, and slow everything within it by 15%. Damage reduced to 90/130/170/215/260 (+60% power). Enemies are now silenced for .5/.75/1/1.25/1.5s afterwards. An enemy god affected by Shadow Lock will now be rooted and crippled instead of slowed if they were in the vortex's radius.
    Revise Shadow Step so it's Nox's go-to ability to provide utility and escape, while still being able to hinder an enemy long enough to mete out her combo, without suffering from the absence of her hard CC. I think I pretty much explained the critical bits, as Shadow Step is nothing more than a way to escape when things get hairy. It should stay that way, with some variety thrown in, like so:

Ability 3 — Shadow Step

Ability to go into an ally's shadow removed. Whenever Nox hits an enemy, they can't see her (Nox Cena!) for 1.5s and their next ability deals 20% reduced damage if cast within 2s. When Nox hits an ally, they become engulfed in darkness, and their next successful attack will silence an enemy for .5/.75/1/1.25/1.5s. The silence will not stack with Siphon Darkness's silence.
    And lastly, Night Terror should be an ultimate with proper damage, and an ultimate that benefits from Nox's passive and is the embodiment of her kit. It should be protean in its usage other than damage; basically, it should be a way to apply Nox's passive, secure a kill, help allies out from afar, or keep an enemy that can easily kill Nox away from her.

Ultimate — Night Terror

Damage reduction and damage-over-time removed. Base damage and scaling boosted to 200/250/300/350/400 (+100% power). Will now silence all enemies in a radius of 20 for 1.5s and apply 1/2/3/4/5s of cooldown to their next ability used while being Ushered in Darkness. If the ball hits an enemy within 55 range, they are now knocked back 50 units (or the half of whatever the knockback on Geb's roll is). Additionally, Night Terror will now consume the light of Nox's candles, causing assailed enemies to lose 5% per candle of scaling on their next ability while they are Ushered in Darkness.
    Soooo, thoughts?
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Senior Member Prestigious SweetSolanaceae's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Achievements:
    Party Person Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Conversation Starter
    How open are you to major criticism before I reply?
    "...suck the juicy bits..."

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSolanaceae View Post
    How open are you to major criticism before I reply?
    You can tear me to pieces if you want. I'm just giving my two cents here.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Senior Member Prestigious SweetSolanaceae's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Achievements:
    Party Person Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatisty View Post
    You can tear me to pieces if you want. I'm just giving my two cents here.
    Here're my two cents, long btw.

First, Nox is barely a ripoff of Scylla, the only similarity they have is that they are both burst mages and rely on one tool for waveclear which is weak early on and sets them back, so I don't understand this statement at all, maybe explain a bit more so I can try and get the point you're trying to make?

Nox is the goddess of night and honestly, the theme of night is extremely difficult to put into a character's kit as everyone has their own view of what night means, some might think night is associated with darkness, nightmares, and other scary things, people might think it's associated with something else, from what I see they did a pretty nice job of associating night with the theme of it being a consuming and crippling darkness, considering 1 can be associated with being crippled by fear of what lies in the dark of the night or surrounds you, 2 can be associated with the silence people can have when being in darkness where they are as quiet as can be, 3, well it's a mobility spell, maybe about how fast things can happen so fast and mysteriously in the dark, I don't know, then 4 to me sorta resembles how people can feel weakened when it's night and dark because of their own fears and discomfort.

Her passive is pretty much what every god has and I think it's just what Hi-Rez ties into god designs, could it be more unique, useful, and better thematic wise? Yeah, definitely.

Her combo is simple in concept, but it's extremely hard to land consistently, is on a huge cooldown early on, still long with full CDR, the reward for it should be great considering she really doesn't have any damage tool that she can use whenever like other mages can.

And I don't know if clinging onto this anti-mage design is a good idea for Nox considering she's already in a pretty decent spot right now the way she's designed.

So... onto the ideas for abilities.

Passive: I really like this idea, I think it works great with the idea of the night and darkness, but I feel it needs some tweaking on the damage for how strong it can be against mages and gods who are squishy and cast abilities often.

1: The passive is pretty unique, I don't know what to say as to how it works though, it's so strange I can't tell if it would be too strong or too weak. The actual ability is pretty fancy and I like the idea.

2: Seems counteractive to me, if the point is to increase their abilities mana cost so they'll get punished for casting spells, then why exactly would a silence come so quick afterward where they can just take the damage and have a regular mana cost on a spell? Also the reduced damage doesn't make much sense to me, in this kit she'll have such little damage to throw out compared to other mages, why reduce it? Otherwise it's fine I suppose.

3: I still want the going into ally effect, but this is pretty neat.

4: As long as the ultimate is still hard to hit then it's fine and very unique in a good way, otherwise if it's not as hard to hit then it could win teamfights alone and that would be a problem.

Overall: I like a lot of it, one of my biggest issues though is the amount of CC in this kit, with diminishing returns it seems like her effect of being anti-ability would not be as effective as if she had other means of being anti-ability that wasn't just involved in lots of CC like a silence.

Also to me I'd rather have this sorta kit changed a bit for a new god or goddess, this pretty much would be a full on rework and it would make better for being something completely new with a new face behind it rather than one we've already seen that has been reworked already.
    "...suck the juicy bits..."

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSolanaceae View Post
    -snippity snip snip-
    What I meant is that their comboes are very similar. Scylla grabs someone with her 1, bursts them down with her 2, then uses her 4 to finish the job or 3 to run away. Nox works in the same vein, though she has better lockdown potential with her 1. I agree about the night part though, I mostly went with my gut feeling on how night makes me feel.

The passive's supposed to be theoretically hard to stack or even use early game because you still have to rely on the 2+1 combo to silence anyone. I left Siphon Darkness's CD the same so you can't really use it as much as you want early game. Basically, just think of the current DoT damage on Night Terror and that should fit the bill.

1. Let's say Nox hits a Bastet with Shadow Lock. She has all 4 candles lit, so Bastet's next ability has an additional 40 tacked onto its mana cost for 2s. Bastet then uses Pounce at max rank while locked. Pounce's cost at max rank is 90, so she ends up spending 130 mana in total and ends up sending it on a 16s CD if no CDR was built. Nox would then be refunded 65 mana. I mostly had the passive in mind to help Nox manage her mana consumption better in early game.

2. Because it's the only way Nox can stack her passive up other than Night Terror. I added the mana cost boost to give some kind of consequence to casting the ability in the radius. Also, I spread the damage out to Shadow Lock so that her combo would still give her 100% scaling without 100-0ing an enemy.

4. Yeah, that's why I removed the damage-over-time. It literally isn't anything other than damage if you take care not to use an ability right after the silence and all it's supposed to do is affect a teamfight, not decide it right away.

Achievements:
    Bump. I want senpai to notice this pl0x

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Nox is such a failure of design that if I ever get to it (sweet dreams) I'll write a concept for a rework from scratch.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SeventhArchon View Post
    Nox is such a failure of design that if I ever get to it (sweet dreams) I'll write a concept for a rework from scratch.
    She's pathetic because she's a watered-down version of Scylla. Nox at least needs to have ample wave clear, an original passive, and able to not rely on CC to carry her combo out.

Senior Member Prestigious AcidTheWarlock's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 890
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeventhArchon View Post
    I can do it quick, probably be ale to post it early tomorrow.
    BANANANANANANANANANANANAAAAAAA

ACIDTHEWARLOOOOOOCK

Banned Honoured Splifflord LaFleur's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Leave my boo alone plz