Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The reason why developers frustrate players

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class

The reason why developers frustrate players

So much controversy on season 3, we are a the peak of a recurrent phenomenon: people saying the developers are dumb, crazy, newbies and words you wouldn't mention in front of your momma.

Bashing developers is never good. The only thing it achieves is making them stop reading the topic and ignoring whatever valid point you had. That's because those guys aren't celebrities, who grow a thick skin from the daily shitstorm. They're just nerds like you and me.

But they are nerds in different position, which makes them see things differently. They aren't regular players and can't have the same mindset as them.

First thing, they don't really play. Smite is their job. If you were a developer playing for pleasure, you probably wouldn't be playing a game you've been seeing the whole day. Besides, one must look outward for inspiration. When they're playing, they're playtesting. So they live in a different reality, a sanitized laboratory version of the game. They have numbers which tell them things like Kukulkan is doing fine or few players ever buy actives.

That's how they come up with ideas that can be seem as absurd to veteran players and sometimes indeed are. Then they test those ideas in the "lab" and everything seems fine. They sometimes read the forums, but it's too much stress - too many topics, too many repeated topics, and, of course, people calling them names. There's a lot of noise too: see here how we can't reach a consensus on the forums about Season 3 among experienced players.

So there you have it, it's not that they're dumb, callous or horrible players. They just have a different relationship with the game.

I'm not defending their mistakes, I'm just saying why no one should ever expect a developer to act and have the same ideas as a player on the forums.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 01-29-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    I literally said something along the lines you suggested a few minutes ago where they'll understand the changes they're doing, and it'll seem fine to them whereas the community wouldn't understand it.

Bit that's the problem. They have to at least play the god to see where they fall flat, like how Kuku's tornado is incredibly telegraphed and can be evaded easily.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points Veteran
    This is very, very correct. And that's what I think the issue is; the developers don't know. There should be testers on the team, experienced players who take what the devs are developing (even before it goes into the PTS) and give their personal opinions, straight to the developers instead of through an email or forum feedback, so that the devs can fix things up nicely before anything hits PTS. That way, the amount of influx and negative opinions that players are giving during the PTS can not only be lessened, but the number of issues can be decreased, so that the patch is polished up as much as possible before it hits the live client.
    Last edited by mrgreekzies; 01-29-2016 at 09:13 PM.
    List of God Concepts (most recent concept: Tarpeia, the Betrayer (Roman/Assassin). I also review concepts; shoot me a PM if you want an honest review of your concept.

Idiot's Guide to the Smite Gods: A New Series For Beginners

You're pretty cool.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    The dev team in smite legitimately knows nothing about the game.

They've shown to be completely incapable of making a game balanced and fair to players.

Smite simply needs another balance team - this game has had the worst balance of every moba ever since its release.

Senior Member Chosen EconomicSuicide's Avatar
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I don't care for the reason of the fuck ups, I care about the fuck ups. They are getting paid to make the community happy and from what I have seen, no one other than the sheep damage controllers are happy.

Before someone comes in with the 'all mobas have problems' crap that really doesn't mean anything, smite seems to have more problems that the others. In other games, people usually have complaints about a select few things like new god is op nerf and other basic crap.

In smite, problems like

Balancing gods
    Inaccurate hit boxes
    Item system sucks
    Servers
    Game modes being broken or stupid
    Servers
    Failure to fix gods
    Failure even give a crap about any mode other than conquest
    Chest system
    Servers
    Match making
    Skins
    Pretty game, poor performance
    Servers
    No punishment promotes trolls
    The absurd amount of time it takes before anything is fixed
    Forcing metas
    Servers

Senior Member Honoured AlexEvilSnowman's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 815
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by EconomicSuicide View Post
    In smite, problems like

Balancing gods
    K I can agree with that
    Inaccurate hit boxes
    Sorry but I have never seen anyone complain about that
    Item system sucks
    Didn't see much people complaining aboutt that untill now
    Servers
    Game modes being broken or stupid
    Like?
    Servers
    Failure to fix gods
    Like? Kuku I can agree with though.
    Failure even give a crap about any mode other than conquest
    They literally said themselves this game was balanced around conq. And what about the arena map? The joust map? Yeah.
    Chest system
    When did anyone complain about the chest system? It's just a hirez way of earning money.
    Servers
    Match making
    The thing everyone has been yelling for a year.
    Skins
    When besides Thor Ragnarok X?
    Pretty game, poor performance
    How so? If it looks good, obviously you are going to get worse prefrmance
    Servers
    No punishment promotes trolls
    Lol. People get deserter, y'know
    The absurd amount of time it takes before anything is fixed
    I agree
    Forcing metas
    Servers
    C'mon people, flame at me.
    That Serqet diamond grind <3

Junior Member Cupidhead Grimfyre's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Not to defend their decisions in the changes, but you do all know they do have a QA team right? Just because there is a PTS does not mean they do not have in house testers.... The PTS just lets them get ALOT of players in at once besides the testers for player feedback.

I work in Video Game QA for a living so i can guarantee that they at least have a small test team if nothing else.

Just figured I'd clarify that in any case.

But on the other hand you cannot please everyone and no matter what changes they decided on, players would have been pissed one way or another.

Senior Member Chosen EconomicSuicide's Avatar
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexEvilSnowman View Post
    I see people complain about hit boxes all the time. It is just that after awhile, people stop hence it never gets fixed.

Before the new items, myself and other we're stating how bland the item system was and it needed new ones hence everyone was building the same shit due to no variety of choices.

Arena and 1v1 joust were basically cheeZe offs and clash has no real purpose. Why is it even here?

A god will go a long period of time without being needed or buffed when in need. Mid way in season 2 I believe, mercury was a god and killing everything. Took months to nerf him. Chromosome before his need was ruining game modes for months as well. Nox is just broken,

If they are only gong to balance around conquest, they need to delete every other mode. In league of legends, they banned select choirmaster from that mode smite stole which is called motd now. Motd is unbalanced. Gyan you has a heal with 0 cool down. Loki can be invisible the game literally, sobek and kumba are cc gods. Select gods should be banned inherently in those modes. The least they could do is give each team a few bans. Assault even though it is random is broken. How hard is it to make sure both teams have a decent comp? 1hunter, 1guardian, 1 assassin, 1 Mage and 1 warrior. If one team gets a healer the other does as we'll. what we now see are teams vs other teams that make it entirely one sided.

It is a known fact people complain about cheat often. Before season 3 patch notes, they were every where.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexEvilSnowman View Post
    I agree with just about everything you added in that quote.

and to the person you quoted....what moba has ever balanced for other game modes? lol all Mobas balance for their 5v5 3 lane game mode... and as for forcing metas.... That's another thing that every moba seems to do one way or another. And as for performance, i've never had performance issues in SMITE so I guess i cant say much bout it.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by EconomicSuicide View Post
    I see people complain about hit boxes all the time. It is just that after awhile, people stop hence it never gets fixed.

Before the new items, myself and other we're stating how bland the item system was and it needed new ones hence everyone was building the same shit due to no variety of choices.

Arena and 1v1 joust were basically cheeZe offs and clash has no real purpose. Why is it even here?

A god will go a long period of time without being needed or buffed when in need. Mid way in season 2 I believe, mercury was a god and killing everything. Took months to nerf him. Chromosome before his need was ruining game modes for months as well. Nox is just broken,

If they are only gong to balance around conquest, they need to delete every other mode. In league of legends, they banned select choirmaster from that mode smite stole which is called motd now. Motd is unbalanced. Gyan you has a heal with 0 cool down. Loki can be invisible the game literally, sobek and kumba are cc gods. Select gods should be banned inherently in those modes. The least they could do is give each team a few bans. Assault even though it is random is broken. How hard is it to make sure both teams have a decent comp? 1hunter, 1guardian, 1 assassin, 1 Mage and 1 warrior. If one team gets a healer the other does as we'll. what we now see are teams vs other teams that make it entirely one sided.

It is a known fact people complain about cheat often. Before season 3 patch notes, they were every where.
    People complain about alot of things. However i've played SMITE since beta and i have never had problems with hit boxes, I have never had any problems with people ever cheating. And again ALL MOBAS balance against their individual CONQUEST modes...

You seem to complain just for the sake of complaining, you are also complaining about the MOTD which is just supposed to be a fun playable mode? And then assault...which is FULL RANDOM and is exactly the same as any other ARAM in the other games... I can't really take your posts seriously..

The other modes are their for those of us that dont want to play Conquest, they dont have to be completely balanced to like playing them...