Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idiot's Guide to the Smite Gods: Episode 1: Ah Puch

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points Veteran

Idiot's Guide to the Smite Gods: Episode 1: Ah Puch

QUICK DISCLAIMER: I know that all you skilled half-pros out there are gonna look over this and be like "What? This is nothing but the simple basics. There's nothing new that this guy's offering here, I know all this stuff already." Well, yeah. But not everybody does. I'm willing to bet there are tons of beginner players lurking on the forums who never comment on anything because every thread discussing a god deals with complicated shit like how items affect scaling and early-game/late-game god performance and shit like that. Hell, I've been playing for over a year and I still don't fully get it all. So this is for all my homies out there who have no fucking clue what's going on but wanna get involved and learn new gods. This series is for you. Enjoy.

OTHER INSTALLMENTS: Bellona | Loki | Medusa | Khepri | Zhong Kui | Nemesis | Kumbhakarna | Sun Wukong | Ah Muzen Cab | Bakasura

So, you wanna learn to play Ah Puch, huh? You think you got what it takes? Good. Because you probably do. I chose to start this series with Ah Puch because he's not a difficult god to master. He's a very combo-intensive god and tbh Ah Puch really relies on those combos to perform well. Fortunately for you, said combos are not hard to land. But we'll get to that later. Let's get the ball rolling with some simple stuff.

Who really is Ah Puch? What's he like? What's he stand for? What are his goals and aspirations?

I'm glad you asked, friend. This is Ah Puch:

Ugly son a bitch, ain't he? But looks aren't everything. Sure, he's got hooves, and a skull for a face, and a weird floppy thing on the back of his head that wiggles when he moves and freaks the hell out of me, but just because you wouldn't Netflix and Chill with him (presumably) doesn't mean you can't, like, mid-lane and chill with him or something. The reason he looks like that, though, is because he hails from the Mayan pantheon! And the Mayans are known for making their gods look weird as all hell. Like, honestly. What the fuck is up with that?

But I'm getting off-topic. Ah Puch is the Mayan god of death and decay. He hails from the ninth level of hell, where all the bad little boys and girls go after getting coal in their stockings for Mayan Christmas. He's a pretty evil guy, and his hobbies are taking long, moonlit walks through the forest and abducting people who are unfortunate enough to cross his path. So yeah, he's not the friendliest dude. And his ultimate goal is to one day consume the world in hellfire and evil spirits and claim the earth as his very own kingdom of the dead. Fun, right? And you thought your goal of getting a good career was important. If Ah Puch achieves his goal, it won't be anymore!

Anyways, let's get down to business, the juicy shit, the nitty-gritty of Feather SkullFace. His kit.

*fanfare*

Yeah, yeah, okay. Let's get on with it. I wanna learn to play him already.

Geez, dude. Testy much?

Passive: Hollow Ground: This is a cool passive, bro. Basically it allows Ah Puch to interact with two of his abilities to restore health and mana! Cool! And what makes it cooler is that he usually gains more mana from using his passive than it took to cast the abilities themselves. So you get an actual profit margin with this passive. Neato! And, what's more, whenever he uses this passive, the cooldowns of his first two abilities get reduced. Dandy! Ah Puch already seems great. Let's move on to the actual abilities.

Ability 1: Undead Surge: Ooh! Spooky name for a spooky ability of a spooky god! Honestly, this guy is spooky incarnate. Anyway, what happens is, Ah Puch casts out a rotting corpse (or two, depending on how much you've leveled the ability), and they run forward because that's what corpses do and tackle the first enemy they come across, dealing damage and slowing. And what makes this ability cooler is that you don't even have to adjust the range yourself half the time; the range will automatically adjust itself based on how close you are to the enemy, or to a wall. It's common practice to, when Ah Puch is low on health, hide under the tower and just spam this ability along with his third ability to create corpses and use his passive to heal. I recommend you adopt this skill, as well. It's a lifesaver!

Ability 2: Corpse Explosion: Disgusting name, am I right? Well the ability itself isn't that disgusting (except maybe the noise it makes) because on its own it does jack shit. At max rank it deals 100 damage, plus 10% of your magical power. That's basically nothing. But what makes this ability potent is that it deals a shitton more damage if there are corpses within the ability's radius! Woah! Now the name makes sense! This is what I mean by Ah Puch is a combo intensive god. Throw out your Undead Surge, then your third ability, then your Corpse Explosion, and bada-bing bada-boom you've probably killed the enemy.

Ability 3: Fleeting Breath: Basically what happens here is Ah Puch fucks you over in terms of healing. He throws out a lil charm that leaves a corpse behind and gives you miasma, which in real life is an unpleasant or unhealthy smell. But in SMITE it's actually a disease that deals damage over time, and makes it so that if you're healed while you have it, you get stunned once the miasma goes away. Plus you take additional damage along with the stun. A HIGHLY unpleasant odor, if you ask me. But you see the potency here, right? Step One: use Undead Surge. Step Two: use Fleeting Breath and apply Miasma. Step Three: use Corpse Explosion. Step Four: ??? Step Five: profit.

Ability 4: Empty the Crypts: Woah! Another cool name! If Hi-Rez is good for anything, it's giving cool names to their gods' abilities. Basically what this ability does is, it's literally an army of wraiths shooting out at you and damaging you for every wraith that hits you. Fortunately, they move in straight lines, but they're so tightly packed and there are so many of them that it's impossible to avoid all of them unless you're not in the ability at all. The damage stacks up fast. It's also a great tool for separating teammates from each other, because you'll find that people are usually extremely reluctant to walk across it.

Okay this is cool and all, but what about how he works in combat? All you've done is explain his abilities.

Chill, dude. I was getting to that.

But--

I said chill.

...fine. Continue.

Thank you. Moving on!

Now, how does Ah Puch perform in battle? Very well, in fact. You're probably thinking that he can probably just flick his enemy in the nose and they'll die what with all the raw damage this guy is capable of dealing. And honestly, you're kind of right. Ah Puch has an insanely high damage output, one that makes even the most level-headed people rage from time to time. But keep in mind: Ah Puch is still a mage. Mages in this game are designed to have high damage outputs that are balanced simply by how squishy they are. Squishy, of course, meaning that they don't have a whole lotta health. They're easy to kill. All you have to do is get close. But mages make it hard to get close. Damn, do they make it hard. So how do you do that with Ah Puch? Simple. Just use his combo. If you're desperate, put your ultimate up around you to deter people from chasing you. One of Ah Puch's best escape methods is to ult, then pull a 360-Fleeting-Breath on them. That'll really get them away from you. Trust me, I'm an Ah Puch expert. Why would I be making this if I wasn't? So I can get attention? Pfft.

But what if you get really stuck? Because honestly it doesn't seem like the escape you proposed will be that effective at deterring them if you're low enough to die.

Okay, okay. No need to be such a Debbie Downer about it. This is where your items come in!

This is Chronos Pendant. This is a mage's best friend. It decreases your cooldowns drastically, and also gives you a nice healthy mana increase. Overall, this item gives you the ability to cast more abilities over a shorter amount of time. It's very useful for Ah Puch, and mages in general, because it makes Fleeting Breath/Corpse Explosion easier to cast quickly. Plus, just use your passive, and that reduces your cooldowns even more.

And this little fucker is Gem of Isolation. Any Ah Puch player worth their salt will have this item. You know what this does? Magical-damage dealers use it so that all of their damaging abilities slow whoever gets hit by them. Your combo has three damaging abilities in it, one of them already infused with a slow. So the slow resets itself twice over thanks to this little gem (hehe) and makes it damn near impossible for your enemy to get away unless they have a slow immunity ability or are willing to burn up their Beads.

And this is Rod of Tahuti. This drastically increases your magical damage output. Put these three items together and the escape I proposed works like a goddamn charm. In fact, you'll probably even kill the guy, too.

I'm all for killing the guy. Thanks!

Aren't we all?

So all in all Ah Puch isn't a very difficult god to use. His combo is one of the easiest and most rewarding in the game. But he does require some practice to get the combo down completely, so I highly recommend doing some practice before going PVP, just to make sure you don't fuck everything up and get your team to descend on you in a whirlwind of shit and passive-aggressive VGS. Lord knows we've all been there.

So there you have it. You now have the raw basics of Ah Puch under your belt. So go forth, little noob, and conquer! Win countless souls for the demon king of the ninth hell! He might spare you for it.
    Last edited by mrgreekzies; 07-07-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    List of God Concepts (most recent concept: Tarpeia, the Betrayer (Roman/Assassin). I also review concepts; shoot me a PM if you want an honest review of your concept.

Idiot's Guide to the Smite Gods: A New Series For Beginners

You're pretty cool.

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    I really like the format.

That aside, fun to read, probably perfectly fit for the group of people you want to reach. That being said, I this may be better suited for the strategy section.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRodin View Post
    I really like the format.

That aside, fun to read, probably perfectly fit for the group of people you want to reach. That being said, I this may be better suited for the strategy section.
    Well, first of all, thanks! And second, yeah, you're probably right. If a mod could move this I'd be glad to keep the series going over in that section of the forums. Thanks for pointing that out.
    List of God Concepts (most recent concept: Tarpeia, the Betrayer (Roman/Assassin). I also review concepts; shoot me a PM if you want an honest review of your concept.

Idiot's Guide to the Smite Gods: A New Series For Beginners

You're pretty cool.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 31 days registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Nice !

/10 Ah Puch's
    Fun in Smite is:

Nemesis - Relentlessly slaying Guardians without mercy and with great prejudice.

GEB - Transformers are COOL.

Xbalanque - Just Pink Ward it.

SOL - This girl is on FIRE !

My IGN is Executioner and that link is my Smite Guru God page !

Senior Member Chosen ShoNuff Kay's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Veteran
    We need more peeps like this in the Forums. Speaking of mods where is Spud at?
    Mastery X Ravana

Thanatos is bae

Yeah I know What the tier lists and pros say.

Too bad I don't care.

You can run but you can't outrun Death!!!
    I'm coming for you Rama

Quote Originally Posted by KFire
    Not having mobility is better anyways because it means you have 4 skills designed to kick the ass of your opponents.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff Kay View Post
    We need more peeps like this in the Forums. Speaking of mods where is Spud at?
    Thanks man! Glad you appreciate it. And yeah lol, when you really need him he's never around.

Senior Member Chosen Discon3ct3d's Avatar
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Love it, keep it up. Great to get guides out there to those that need/want them.
    Always Discon3ct3d

Member Follower
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I know it all but I just read it cuz it was awesome!
    I liked the writing style and the side comments
    Keep on doing this!

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    well done man, really nice guide with sarcastic, but magus spear more important for me then rod of tahuti, thoth's book cheaper and giving ~same or more power, tahuti better as one of the last items. Magus, thoth, cdr (breast or pendant depends on aginst whom you are)

p.s. goi people using for making combo more accuracy, if you already have ncie reaction and accuracy betetr take goi 4-6 item, not as one of the first (again this item is expensive)
    Last edited by Gromun; 12-21-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromun View Post
    well done man, really nice guide with sarcastic, but magus spear more important for me then rod of tahuti, thoth's book cheaper and giving ~same or more power, tahuti better as one of the last items. Magus, thoth, cdr (breast or pendant depends on aginst whom you are)

p.s. goi people using for making combo more accuracy, if you already have ncie reaction and accuracy betetr take goi 4-6 item, not as one of the first (again this item is expensive)
    You're right about the item choices, but I'm trying to keep it simple since this is a guide to just the basics. Stacking items, penetration and whatnot, I'm gonna try and stay out of those unless they're necessary like for Loki or somebody.