Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Rez's Conquest Craze

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class

Question Hi-Rez's Conquest Craze

Is it just me, or does Smite's focus tend to be entirely Conquest-oriented? Understanding that this is the main format of a typical MOBA, this isn't exactly surprising, but what is up with the lack of love with the other types of gameplay?

Conquest mode typically gets a lot of love from the community...a LOT of love. You have your competitive tournaments centered around it, you have the bulk of Twitch accounts playing Conquest mode, and theTop 10 Plays always feature those from Conquest mode specifically.

So that begs the question: what's up with the other modes? Why is it that the bulk of the community tends to toss them aside?

I've witnessed quite a bulk of pretty awesome pentas and quadras stem off from really well-timed Arena throwdowns--yet Hi-Rez took away Arena mode for Leagues. Assault is perhaps one of the trickiest gamemodes to even play, due to its randomness--yet people constantly ignore the talent of people who know how to play more than one type of god, or one god specifically. Siege is still in Beta, but it feels like a watered-down version of Conquest, the way it's ignored in most conversations; it still requires a lot of attention, careful planning, and teamwork to make it work well. Joust seems to get no attention at all.

What's your favorite game mode, and why? I'm curious to see input from other people.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead playertd's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Conquest takes the most skill, strategy and teamwork to play, which is fun for most people. The other game modes are just for funzies when you don't have time or patience for conquest IMO.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Nowadays Assault is my favourite game mode,because people are nice here.I don't know why,but this game mode is not taken seriously as conquest.I get friendly people here,but it's rare who will complain about losing/making mistake/etc.

Conquest is a BM fest,I don't find it enjoyable at all.I think to myself,alright I'll play just ONE conquest,surely I was unlucky that I got assholes in my team the other day.Hmm nope,same deal.Next day,alright,maybe this time.Nah,not enjoyable,I give firstblood,team is like VVGG VVGG,VER VER VER,F6.People blame me for their death.*Teammate fenrir towerdives against 2 people,dies* Response:" Fkin useless aphro if you did enough damage I would have been fine"There are lots of other stories which happened to me about why I dislike conquest.

Joust 3v3 can be frustrating sometimes,because 40% of the time I face against a 3 premade (they all from the same clan) and we as solo queuers are forced to F6 at 10 because we are 3-20 score and it's pointless to continue.

Arena is an "alright" game mode,I like when close game happens where that 1 ticket can win or lose the match.

I have promised to myself,untill they take a serious step against these toxic players,I'm not joining any conquest.It takes one player,and the whole team morale is down to drain.Yes,I can mute them,but.Once BMing starts,it doesn't stop and everyone starts to blame eachother.
    Last edited by Gilaro; 05-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead GrimToadstool's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    yeah, well the gamemodes... Personally I find Conquest rather annoying, the toxicity is a *huge* problem in so many ways there, generally, if someone falls behind, which is to be expected, the team doesn't react to the situation by changing lanes, they rather tend to camp a tower an chat how that person sucks.
    Furthermore Conquest is to me like 10 minutes 1on1 with the occasional jungler jumping in, then 5 minutes of decent teamfights, which are the highlight and finally 15 minutes confusion, until someone wins.
    The middle 5 minutes are the highlight, but the rest is pure boredom and toxicity.
    About complexety of the gamemode... well the community wasn't able to understand Domination (feeding the most defended lane), it is not able to understand Assault (overpushing and overdefending) and not even Arena (teamsplits and buffaddiction). Joust is often decided within the first 5 minutes, the rest is just prolonging the inevitable.
    Conquest comes down not to good teamplay, but to secure soloplay to flame on the other players. Still, this mode, though it's the most "common moba mode" is what most people consider the defining mode of the game.
    Another problem is the party size, a party of four can't play conquest for whatever reason.
    Now siege is an experiement, I can't say much about at this time having it played only once. But it does exactly what Assault would have needed to do, having a central position to hold which will spawn siege engines to attack.

I find it ironicall that instead of adressing the toxic community problem, gamemodes are comming and going. I find that there's so little reason to play conquest.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    hirex is focussed on making conquest into an esport. they really need to pour everything (publicity/resources/thinking etc) into conquest to get it perfect before working on other game modes.

despite many players seeing a lot of toxicity in Conquest, i suspect the esports league table is still full o highly sophisticated and fun games played by really top notch players. im sure the other game modes also have top players but they need to get one esport mode right first.

seeking to promote another game mode just because of the presence of toxicity isn't really solving the problem of toxicity.
    Last edited by blinkpony; 05-16-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Senior Member Honoured LokiWildfire's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Achievements:
    Currently, I have quite enjoyed Siege myself. It feels, in a way, like a hybrid between Arena and Conquest, with the start at level 3 and less lane (aka less god spread), it has the little Conquest feeling, but packed with team fights from the start. Arena is also pretty good on me, though mostly because it tends to end faster. My actual second favourite mode doesn't exist anymore except sometimes as a MOTD: Domination.... sigh, that is all I have to say about it being taken out due to whiners....

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    Taking nothing away from conquest but bcz arena leagues has been removed, I would like to point out a few short comings in conquest.

- Their is a set meta you can't diverge much from it. Whether it is in the choice of gods/roles, etc.
    - It is hard to trust team mates bcz you don't know their style of play. Resulting in toxicity 60% of the games. In arena leagues their was hardly any problem of toxicity.
    - Unless somebody makes a terrible mistake, first 10 minutes are a real bore.
    - People hardly attack before level 5 and that too usually with the help of some gank. If you can evade that you are going to be safe in lane for next 2-3minutes, just farming.
    - Solo lane is perhaps the only drawback of this mode. Imagine a solo lane with Ra Vs Sun wukong. Ra can easily farm and push with no mana issues while Sun with stone of gaia can defend the lane for ages. It is a never ending battle and we can't rotate bcz if I leave my lane my tower is gone if he leaves it's his. I played a ranked in which this kept on happening for first 20minutes of the game. Their jungler poked more than ours (Ra side) but we kept on just farming and defending our lanes. Sadly I havn't played a ranked conquest after that.

Agree that Hirez is putting emphasis on conquest too much and rightly so, but why no ranked play for other popular modes: 3v3, assault, arena, siege etc. It appears to be like a class divide. Those who play conquest talk like superiors and they think the other mode guys are inferior. With Leagues Arena gone, the divide has risen in proportions.
    Fun and Heart

IGN:arka222
    My Vulcan Guide:http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...e-of-grit-4029
    Our clan site: www.smitefire.com (SMFG)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    There are a few Arena and Assaults in the Top 5. It's not so much because HiRez doesn't want people to submit plays from other modes (even though it's done by Inuki), it's just that no one knows you can submit plays from other modes.
    TUSKY GO!!!

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by arka222 View Post
    Agree that Hirez is putting emphasis on conquest too much and rightly so, but why no ranked play for other popular modes: 3v3, assault, arena, siege etc. It appears to be like a class divide. Those who play conquest talk like superiors and they think the other mode guys are inferior. With Leagues Arena gone, the divide has risen in proportions.
    I agree with you completely. It seems very illogical to remove Arena mode to me, when I come across so many people who have been training for Competitive Arena since they discovered the game mode. That is precisely what it feels like as well. I believe that there should be greater emphasis on other modes of play. It would make the game more appealing to people who haven't tried it yet, instead of promoting the same, tired standard of MOBA that we keep on seeing.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    You're never going to really balance joust at all until you address certain issues with the map itself as well as map-specific balance changes for it (Phoenix/Titan camping is something that needs to be addressed with the relative lack of contestable objectives outside of buffs, Kali is OP as balls in joust yet is perfectly fine in conquest, etc).

Arena does not add anything new to the game outside of standard gameplay. If it was that much of a different ball game you wouldn't have arena-focused teams get stomped by the ones that mainly just play conquest and don't really do arena much at all. It's just boiled down to teamfighting and has little-to-no other intricacies to it, as compared to conquest, where keeping control of objectives adds much more to gameplay, as does a laning phase.

Assault is a joke game type, for very obvious reasons.

Siege has the potential to be looked upon as a legitimate game mode, but it's still in its early stages and is still a far ways away from being a big thing.
    ▲▲▼▼◄►◄► B A SELECT START