Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Small Definitive Penetration Guide [Updated 3/28/17]

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Is there ever a case where, as a mage, you should get both spear of the Magus and Obsidian shard? I've been doing this for some time now in an effort to get the most out of my damage (usually on gods like Zues and KKK). If it's not really worth it, than i could swap out that slow for another item.
    "A man is at his weakest when he deems himself invincible"

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantkaiser View Post
    Is there ever a case where, as a mage, you should get both spear of the Magus and Obsidian shard? I've been doing this for some time now in an effort to get the most out of my damage (usually on gods like Zues and KKK). If it's not really worth it, than i could swap out that slow for another item.
    Yes, it is good, despite what the majority say. Especially on KKK, you want SotM for your Tornado but you also want Obsidian for your Ult.

The only item that outclasses Spear of the Magus is Spear of Desolation.

If you think you'll get Deso at least 5 mins before the game ends, get Deso. If not, get SotM.

Soul Reaver is an alternative to SotM and they are fairly equal in damage output. Except SR costs more, and if the passive isn't up, SotM will do more.

Hope this helped c:
    What do I put here now?

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    If you want use this build on Conquest then no:
    -you overcap mage defence
    -0 utility like CDR
    -if you want go full damage choose Spear of Desolation instead
    -Magus reduce Shard pen
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ZetoPL View Post
    If you want use this build on Conquest then no:
    -you overcap mage defence
    -0 utility like CDR
    -if you want go full damage choose Spear of Desolation instead
    -Magus reduce Shard pen
    On KKK SotM does more than Desolation most of the time. 45 pen is huge.

Especially on KKK with his 120+ power passive, that means that the 120 power from Deso is kinda diminished.
    What do I put here now?

Achievements:
    On KKK SotM does more than Desolation most of the time. 45 pen is huge.

Especially on KKK with his 120+ power passive, that means that the 120 power from Deso is kinda diminished.
    Surely Magus is perfect for KKK, but not Magus + Obsidian which is whole question about.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead TamedKitsune's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    Surely Magus is perfect for KKK, but not Magus + Obsidian which is whole question about.
    Honestly depends. Shard is better for raw ults, if you hit them with whirlwinds then magus is better, there is an argument for both if you like slapping tanks around but it's a weak argument here. Personally I would just take a magus because a kkk is looking to zone them out rather than blow them up.

So basically, yeah. Don't take both.

Achievements:
    Especially on KKK, you want SotM for your Tornado but you also want Obsidian for your Ult.
    Getting both can be helpful. You sometimes start a fight by blasting your ult.

Also your combo is normally 1-3, with 1 having huge burst, having Obsi is good for that, while SotM is for the shred potential of the tornado.

Dunno but to me KKK synergizes with both very nicely.

I've even seen a quadra-pen build on him before and it was scary AF (he did great) (pen boot-SotM-Obsi-Deso-Thoth-Tahuti)

Both items have different functions, but pen is pen and thus they will do damage regardless.
    What do I put here now?

Achievements:
    Getting both can be helpful. You sometimes start a fight by blasting your ult.

Also your combo is normally 1-3, with 1 having huge burst, having Obsi is good for that, while SotM is for the shred potential of the tornado.

Dunno but to me KKK synergizes with both very nicely.

I've even seen a quadra-pen build on him before and it was scary AF (he did great) (pen boot-SotM-Obsi-Deso-Thoth-Tahuti)

Both items have different functions, but pen is pen and thus they will do damage regardless.
    No, please stop confuse ppl, you buy Magus on gods with multiple ticks abilities or Obsidian on gods with single damage abilities, there can be situations where you should buy Obsidian instead of Magus but never both. There is no room for two items with low power and 0 utility. In normal game you get destroyed before you even unload whole kit with this build.
    Last edited by ZetoPL; 01-11-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Achievements:
    No, please stop confuse ppl, you buy Magus on gods with multiple ticks abilities or Obsidian on gods with single damage abilities, there can be situations where you should buy Obsidian instead of Magus but never both. There is no room for two items with low power and 0 utility. In normal game you get destroyed before you even unload whole kit with this build.
    Kuku has both.

110 power from 2 items is admittedly low but you get 45+33% pen which shreds everyone, especially tanks.

You shouldn't always build the two (unless in arena and you're me and it makes sense logically but whatever) but there are times when you need both the benefits of both items.
    What do I put here now?

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Buying Magus and Obsidian its just silly and not good at all they just counter each other you only need one of those penetration items
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*