Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Paladin" - Healers Build To Last And Hurt

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!

"The Paladin" - Healers Build To Last And Hurt

Greetings.

This thread is about a kind of build I have been tinkering on for a little while that is tailored for healers and/or gods with semi decent healing abilities, magical ones to be precise.

As we all know, healers, especially Hel, are having pretty much the time of their life right now in this game, mostly thanks to the nerf to Weakening Curse that has been in the game for quite a while. Even before that, gods that are labeled as "Healers" always have been performing relativly well over the course of time and the reason why is rather simple, because they are just that good, that strong.

This thread will focus on the magical healers more than anything, so no talk about Guan Yu will happen here, even though he is one of my favorite gods in the game.

The gods I will talk about in this thread, for the most part, will be Hades, Hel, Aphrodite, Chang'e, Ra and because I have to, Sylvanus as well.

Why is the build called "The Paladin"? It's simple. The Build turns your god into the archetypal Paladin. You will become very defensive, very supportive but still very damaging to the point where you will become the helm of your party, even though you are just a mage. A real hero to the people, a real annoyance and pest for the enemies.

1. The mindset:
    Magical Gods, both mages and guardians, tend to have very good base numbers on their abilities, which by nature makes them work nicely with cooldown reduction. This is especially true for gods with healing abilities, which the above mentioned ones definatly qualify for.

The scaling on magical gods varies, some have very good, others have very bad scaling and on top of that, not every god has an equal number of damage sources. For example, Aphrodite has two very strong sources of damage, compared to Hel who has 3 pretty good ones. Things like this will be taken into account. The Build(s) I will propose won't utilize the scaling all that much. So bear that in mind.

Next is the Movement Speed. You will find that the Builds I will propose won't actually build Boots. Boots on themselves are pretty price efficient, but you mostly buy them for the Movement Speed, the rest of their stats are pretty weak and the Item spot will be better reserved for other Items.

2. The Build
    This title is a bit missleading since as always, you should never have static builds but instead, reorganize your build in context of your and your enemies teams.

This will be your blueprint:

Breastplate of Valor
    Winged Blade
    Rod of Asclepius
    Gem of Isolation
    A Pen Item of your choice (God dependend mostly, you will have either Voidstone or Spear in here most likely)
    A free Item slot you can utilize as you want (More Power, Mana, Protections, HP, Utility as you see fit)

If you face more magical gods than physicals, you can use the free Item slot and/or Gem of Isolation for more magical protection Items if you feel the need, but in general, physical gods (and the map itself) are much more relevant when it comes to building against, and the Item slot used for pen gives you a convenient slot to utilize for some magical protection as well in the form of Voidstone.

The utility slot is pretty much a wild card you can use as you see fit. If you get ahead and find that you don't need more bulk, get a rod of tahuti and bring Hel(l) over your opponents. Need more penetration for tanky targets, get it. Need more mana because Hel is a mana hungry slut? Get a Book of Tahuti. Need some more support for your team? Sovereignity/Heartward Amulet/Lotus Crown are your friends. The rule for this slot is pretty much "Know your enemy, know your friends, know yourself."

3. How does that mess of a build work?
    Quite good actually. Let us analyse it with the mindset I gave.

Mages, especially healers, have a lot of utility and control in their kits. The best way to increase those things is having cooldown reduction, which this build has plenty of. BOV + WB gives you 35% together, which is close to the cap.

This also increases the damage they deal. To make the most out of that, as with every god in the game, you will want some penetration. The Item you will chose for this slot is highly dependend on the god you chose, but I come back to this later.

The thing that most people probably won't get into their heads is the lack of Boots. If you know your items, you will notice that you just won't need them. Winged Blade and Rod of Asclepius together give you 20% Movement Speed, which is 2 more than Boots would have given you and on top of that, every god I listed above minus Hades and Sylvanus has some form of Movement Speed Buff in his kit. Hades doesn't, but he makes up for it with his jump. Sylvanus is the odd man in the house, but nobody cares about him anyway. Then there is Winged Blades passive. Even against teams that are low on slows, you will find this item useful since you are a healer, and everyone knows how much people love to use Weakening Curse against Healers. You basicly have a natural counter against your natural counter build into your core.

Your damage will still be very relevant. Just with Gem and Rod of A., you will have 140 power, which sounds small but together with high CDR, decent Scaling and the Rod of A. passive, will allow you to put out decent numbers on a regular basis. This will get increased by the additional power coming from your penetration item and, if you utilize it that way, from the flexible Item you chose. In general, you should be sitting at around 200 magical power, which is more than enough for what you need to do.

In terms of HP, the build gives you 750 extra HP to utilize. If you want more, you can use the free slot to get you an ethereal rod for another 600 (and a decent MP/Mana boost), turning you into a real battle tank. You may want to watch out for Qin Sais and Soul Reaver, but those should only pose marginal threats anyway.

Protection wise, you get a lot of physical protections out of Breastplate of Valor immediatly and (since this is my favorite choice for this spot), another 50 magical protections out of your penetration slot. As I said earlier, the build isn't set in stone, so you can exchange pieces like the variable slot and/or the Gem of Iso slot for more protections, if needed. My favorite Items for that would be Hide of the Urchin which is a great all purpose defensive item, Lotus crown since it is great with healers, Sov/Heartward since they are all decent as well, pestilence since healing and lifestealing is stupid (strange irony, right?) or for the usual hunter stupidity Hide of the nemean lion or Midguardian Mail.

If you want to be a real pain for the people you wage war against, you could also buy a Mystical Mail. It is a rather great Item on magical gods, on some more than on others, but I will talk about that some more later on as well.

TL;DR, the protections will be as high as you deem them sufficient.

4. Interesting choices for the flexible slot
    In theory, you could treat the Gem of Isolation slot as a flexible slot as well, giving you two of them, but I like gem of Isolation so much that I personally dislike giving it up. Sometimes, the Match up does demand that you do exactly that, so remember to stay flexible and think fast so that you can build in accordance to the situation at hand.

Mystical Mail
    This Item is usually picked up by guardians and warriors. Warriors never will be able to utilize this item as well as mages are because they lack the ability to have magical penetrations (aside from Guan Yu). That being said, as a Mage or a Guardian, you absolutly can do this and seeing how this build promotes a playstyle of being in the field, being tanky yet very damaging, this item is a perfect fit.

Lotus Crown
    This Item is build on pretty much every healer in pretty much every situation, but truth be told, it shouldn't. It is a great Item, but not for every healer. It is a great Item, but not for every situation. In general, I like this Item the most on healers that have cooldowns that clock in at around the 10 second cooldown mark, even with max CDR because then I can depend on the passive kicking in when I use that ability for sure, Ra for example. I also prefer having this item of gods that can heal the entire party quickly, which makes this Item a bad choice for Aphrodite, who only benefits two gods at a time with this. That asside, it is a nice defensive option for the entire team that is definatly worth being picked up if it is needed.

Pestilence
    Pestilence is probably my favorite defensive magic Item in the game. It gives a nice amount of HP and magical protection, but the Aura is just grand. being able to counter enemy healers but also enemy life steal with this makes fighting your enemies a much more convenient and simple thing to do. It is only 25%, but it is 25%, shifting the balance in your favor, and it isn't expensive either. If you go against healers, always buy this over divine ruin giving how bad of an Item divine ruin is. Only get DIvine Ruin on top of this if the enemy healer turns out to have a massive lead and/or your allies are simply pretty bad.

Mail of Renewal
    This Item can make you able to outlast combat forever. You need to shift around your build a little bit more if you want to make work of this since you don't want to overcap your CDR of course. If you intend to pick this up, you exchange it with Breastplate of Valor and use one flexible slot for another CDR Item. Which one you choose for that is up to you and the situation you are in.

Spirit Robe is a great Item to pick up if you go the Mail of Renewal Route and works wonders against CC heavy line ups. Together with Winged Blade and Mail, you will have a substancial amount of HP and protections while also having maxed out your CDR.

Boots
    In general, having Boots in this build is always an option but never a priority. The Build simply doesn't NEED them, but there are situations where still having them can be handy.

Pen Boots you should avoid most of the time.
    Focus Boots can be useful if you passed up on BOV for Mail of Renewal or something else and want a convenient source for CDR while also helping your mana management.

Reinforced Shoes are the true star here though and the only one I initially wanted to mention in here. CC can be a pest to deal with and there are a lot of line ups that have a huge load of that. Reinforced Shoes' passive can help you dealing with that immensly while also giving your survivability yet another boost by increasing your HP again. They are also very cheap, even among boots.

Hide of the Urchin
    Probably the single best defensive Item in the game. 65 magical and physical protections is huge, 250HP are very good and so are 250 Mana. This Item is a great allarounder that helps you stay alive in pretty much every scenario and is in most cases the perfect go-to item if you feel that you need more bulk for everything.

Heartward Amulett
    I mention this Item over sovereignity only because there are less good ways to build magical protections over physicals and because the passive of this Item outshines that of Sovereignity by a lot. MP/5 helps you manage your mana, and mana is life for you. That asside, having a physical protections aura is always more beneficial than a magical protection one.

Midguardian Mail/Hide of the Nemean Lion
    The classical anti-Hunter/assassin Items. Never be afraid to pick them up since no one likes having to deal with their horseshit. They will also be on your behind quite hard since nobody likes squishy mages either and likes to squash them. Little do they know that you won't make it that easy on them.

5. Actives
    There are actually only two actives I want to talk about here since most other actives and their uses are commonly known by now.

1. Heavenly Agility
    We all know it, we all love it, probably the best active in terms of teamfight support. This active is especially noteworthy and important on healers since the danger of Weakening curse is ever present. This active counters the slows weakening provides but also counters the healing debuffs of this game since they work additivly, not multiplicative. Having this Item on a healer can be vital to success.

2. Salvation
    This may be somewhat suprising for some people to see. For the most part, gods like Hel or Chang'e promote very spammy playstyles, especially with close to max CDR. Spammy playstyles mean that mana is a very precious resource that can and will rund dry relativly quickly if you do not play careful. This can be counteracted by either building more mana items like ethereal rod or Book of Thoth, but Salvation is an underappreciated that deserves another look at, especially when talking about healers, especially when talking about healers using this build.

People undervalue Salvation, yet it is better than greater Meditation (which apparently is the still awkward, yet occassionally accepted part of this active). Greater Meditation only gives you, and only you, 35% of your MISSING health back. That makes it very awkward to use and forces you to wait for dire situations to really make a difference with the healing this provides. Salvation gives every ally in range, you included, a heal worth 15% of your MAXIMUM health. Together with all the HP/Bulk you build, lets say you sit at around 2500 HP. A free 375 heal (more since you also have rod of asclepius) in the mid of a teamfight, especially if combined with a real heal out of your kit, can easily turn the tides in a battle while keeping your mana alive and kicking.

6. So let us look at the gods themselves

When I came up with this build I was thinking about Hel and Aphrodite for the most part, so I will focus the building of this on those two at the start.

Hel
    Hel is probably the goddess this build works best with. She has 3 damaging abilities, all on very short cooldowns naturally, her passive boosts her numbers and her ultimate even gives her a bunch of free power, which is neat. She has the heals, she has a slow and she has the cleanse, making her immediatly useful for every line up, which people just realized after the weakening curse nerf. The reason why this build works especially well on Hel is the fact that she is the only healer with build in penetration though.

Her Hinder ability reduces the enemy protections by up to 25. Remember that Mages only have 30 base magical protections while all other gods clock in at 48. This ability rips unprotected enemies to shreds all by themselves and an additional penetration Item will simply do the trick. This also makes Items like Mystical Mail, Hide of the Nemean Lion and Shield of the Underworld very worthwhile since they boost your damage while benefitting from your build in and build penetrations.
    Paired with the afforementioned low CDs, the small surge in power this build gives and you are free to dance through your enemies, bringing havoc over them while healing and supporting your teammates.

Her only weakness with this build is that she can run low on Mana remarkably fast because of her spammy gameplay.

Aphrodite
    Aphrodite with this build is very interesting to play. You shift away from the all out damage hel provided towards a more supportive approach, providing a huge load of CC and utility. Aphrodite is a more exclusive character in that she is great at supporting herself and one ally with great success unlike Hel who supports pretty much everyone, but being able to be in the middle of things together with your hard carry instead of just being a distant admirer has a lot of worth going for it. Since her abilities aren't as spammy, she won't run into as many mana problems like Hel, which can give you a little more freedom in building. In general, I advise against building Lotus Crown on her for the reason of said exclusiveness I mentioned earler. She is a great healer, but only for two people. The Item slot is better utilized for something else.

Chang'e
    The girl with the bunny is infamous for being impossible to box thanks to her floaty playstyle. Looking at her numbers, you will notice a theme of low cooldowns, low scaling and semi decent base damage, in short, she is pretty much perfect for this build. Her heal is pretty much more of a novelty, always has been, unless you go really mad with power (and even then, it is pretty weak), but you make up for this lack in power with persistance and durability. Chang'e with this build makes the phrase "Annoy your enemies to death" a very true statement. She is also one of the best Anti Healers in the game, which by now should be common knowledge. Don't ever build Divine Ruin on her unless the rest of your team is absolutly unable to play like humans. Pestilence gets the job done just as much while also providing you with more bulk against those pesky healers.

Ra
    Ra is an interesting god for me because I usually look down on him a lot, yet I really want to like playing him because of how awesome Ra-Merica is. With that being said, this build is actually rather perfect for Ra. His 3 gives Ra somewhat decent space control and changes the battlefield into his teams favor, especially with Gem of Isolation, this becomes a huge advantage. Together with his 2-3 and some HP/Defenses, boxing Ra is pretty much impossible. Meanwhile, his damage stays more than relevant thanks to the semi short cooldowns on his 1, 2 and ultimate. Gods like Hel are/were great when it comes to bringing the fight to the enemies, but Ra is a very nice god to have if the fight comes to you.

Hades
    Hades is probably one of the nicest guys from the greek pantheon we have in this game so far, yet his playstyle makes him look like a dick. This build uses this concept and puts it on a whole new level. Hades has a lot of underappreciated utility in his kit.

His 1, aside from being a jump is also a heavy slow, if the target is blighted. Together with Gem of Iso, the target is slowed to a crawl, together with CDR, this will be the case constantly.
    His 2 is a very long silence effect on a very short cooldown. With Max CDR, you can silence enemies for 2 seconds every ~6.6 seconds. Especially against ability heavy line ups, this is crippling, and that is before you take the actual fear into account.
    His 3 is a nice heal and huge damaging ability, but utilizing the actually healing on your allies can be hard to utilize in an actual battle, but I still like that it is there and watchful teams that are communicating well with one another will be able to make use of this.
    People look at his ultimate and only see it as a flashy way to get kills, yet it is actually that much more. It provides Hades with a huge protection boost, it reduces enemy protections and either forces them to blow their escapes, use their actives or stick in one place. This ability can be used as an initiation tool, a mid-fight tool, a kill secure or even as a peeling tool for your allies. Focussing on the killing aspect makes you turn a blind eye to all the ways you can use this to support your team instead of just using it for damage, which is a bad thing.

TL;DR, Hades has a lot of good things going for him that are underappreciated. This Build on Hades takes all these things and helps you utilize them to be a great source of help for your team while still being the damaging scumbag everyone loves to hate.

Sylanus
    Poor old Sylvanus is at least for the moment a lost cause. He has no damage, no worthwhile healing, his CC is mediocre for the most part and the only redeeming thing he has going for himself is his ultimate. Since he still does qualify as a healer, I had to include him to this list and mention that this build does make a lot of things he has better. Max CDR on him is a must since his abilities work pretty much with nothing else. Thanks to him having two high area over time effects in the form of his 2 and his 4, items like spear of the magus and gem of Isolation can make teamfights for his team a much more simple task and the protections he provides can help squishy targets stick in the field longer. Still, there is no real reason to bring Sylvanus over pretty much every other Guardian if you want a tank nor a real reason to bring him over pretty much every other healer asside from his ultimate.

7. Weaknesses
    Weakening curse
    No suprise for anyone and I have been talking about this a couple of times already. The bane of healers, still a present threat even in his nerfed form. Your best counters to this counter are Winged Blade, Sprint 2 and Heavenly Agility and of course Rod of Asclepius. As you can see, two of these are core in this build with Heavenly Agility being a popular item to build in a lot of match ups. You will do fine.

Anti Healing in general
    The good thing about Anti Healing in this game (from a healers perspective) is that there isn't that much truly good and always viable/available anti healing effects spread over the god pool. Odin is one of the best, but he is a walking ultimate asside from that. Sobek, Chang'e and Bacchus have strong consistently available anti healing effects in their kits, for those you should really watch out for. Ah Puch can ruin a healers day quite efficiently, but he is also very easy to take advantage off.

Crowd Control
    Another thing that shouldn't suprise anyone, but CC'd targets are sitting ducks. Asside from having Beads and the occassional Aegis, be watchful for your enemy line ups and always have an eye out for enemies who can CC you into meaninglessness.

Hunters
    Even if you are pretty bulky and defensive, Hunters, especially when fully build, are a hazard to your or everyones health. You can outbox them, depending on your build and if you play carefully, but they do hurt a lot and their life steal can make fights against them a real marathon as everyone who played some games of Joust 1v1 can tell. In general, it is better to approach Hunters not in an open 1v1, but if you must, play your cards very carefully and know when it is smart to play the fight out more passivly instead of aggressive.

8. Small gameplay advises when playing this.
    Rod of asclepius is a somewhat pricey item, but you don't need to finish it immediatly. Stage 2 of it gives you a nice amount of power, HP and movement speed, 7% in fact. Together with Winged Blade, you are just 1 percent shy of what Boots would have given you, which can be enough until you reach later stages of the game.

The order in which you build should always be dictated by the enemy line ups you face, the gamemode you play and the current stage of the game. If you are getting well ahead, chances are that building more protections isn't necessary and that more power can help you end the game faster. If you play Arena or Clash, you will finish your build much sooner than you would in Conquest, so you can plan accordingly to that and have more flexibility. In return, you have have to pick your items a lot more carefully in conquest because of how limited gold is in there.

Know the god you play. You can't just pick any of the above gods, slap this build on them and expect to rock your teams world if you have no idea on how to actually play said gods. Take your time to get familiar with them, their playstyles and their mechanics before you try this out.

You are still no guardian. Don't plan on replacing a Guardian when playing this (unless you are Hades). You will be much more comparable to a Warrior in terms of damage and impact, but will lack the heavy CC and control most Guardians posess to make a difference. In return, playing healers like this makes them amazing wingmen(and women) for your guardians, so be mindful.

The general rules of good gameplay still apply. Be mindful about:

Your Farm
    Your Map
    Your Wards
    Your Team
    Your Positioning
    Your Enemies
    Your allies and enemies Builds
    Your Build
    Your Cooldowns
    And all the other things that are meaningful

9. And thats it.
    No more interesting, helpful or, in the eyes of enough as I can already see, stupid things left for me to say right now.
    If you have questions or incentives you would like to share, please do so and I will respond whenever I find the time.
    If you just want to tell me how stupid I am for proposing such an abomination of an build, feel free to share that and reasons why as well, you are the people I am looking forward the most.

Thanks for reading, thanks for your time, remember to like, share and subscribe and I will you in the next vide.....ah, sorry, I'm not on youtube here.

*shrug*
    Last edited by PapaRodin; 11-25-2015 at 05:29 AM.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    6:20... Too tired to read.. Too long to skim... But it's so damn organized and spaced out.. I.. Must.. READ IT!!

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    31 days registered Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Party Person
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Damn.. o.o
    Last edited by Zelvios; 11-25-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Zelvios, please don't quote the whole thing since it is very long.

Take it out and/or put it into spoilers, for the sake of other readers.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    31 days registered Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Party Person
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRodin View Post
    Zelvios, please don't quote the whole thing since it is very long.

Take it out and/or put it into spoilers, for the sake of other readers.
    Kk

/10char

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelvios View Post
    Kk

/10char
    Appreciated. Any feedback?

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Party Person 1 year registered Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points
    As we all know, healers, especially Hel, are having pretty much the time of their life right now in this game, mostly thanks to the nerf to Weakening Curse that has been in the game for quite a while. Even before that, gods that are labeled as "Healers" always have been performing relativly well over the course of time and the reason why is rather simple, because they are just that good, that strong.
    Cause healers are simply OP.But you can't remove healing then the whole game would change and it wouldn't be a good idea...but you can't nerf them to hard or they are worthless...I hope in S3 there are just simple more anti heal items/actives.
    You don't understand.Edgar is the one in the hole.

"Tell me again little Lamb.What is mine to take?"
    "All things dear Wolf.

"Never one."
    "Without the other."

Jing Wei is the best goddess in, SMITE, in everything. <3 #Notbiased

Jing Wei stats: 15 Godlikes 2 Penta's 4 Quadra's <3

Senior Member Honoured HuperSuman's Avatar
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeC9 View Post
    Cause healers are simply OP.But you can't remove healing then the whole game would change and it wouldn't be a good idea...but you can't nerf them to hard or they are worthless...I hope in S3 there are just simple more anti heal items/actives.
    Just make sure a few people have weakening curse and someone has beat stick and that Hel will die in seconds.
    With a top hat!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeC9 View Post
    Healers would be a lot more tame if magic gods had a better option to build against them than Divine Ruin at the moment is.
    But yeah, Healers can get away with a lot of things right now.

I think that more physical gods with anti healing in their kits would also be very helpful. We have Odin, Serqet and Osiris, but Osiris is the only one who has anti-healing outside of his ultimate (on top of the anti healing on his ultimate). We have next to no physical gods (or actually, I don't think we have any) with Anti Heal in their main kit asside from that.

I forgot about Medusa. She has a (single target) healing reduction which scales from 10-50% at max rank. It is also the last skill you rank up in her kit.

Very big.....
    Last edited by PapaRodin; 11-25-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Healers would be a lot more tame if magic gods had a better option to build against them than Divine Ruin at the moment is.
    But yeah, Healers can get away with a lot of things right now.

I think that more physical gods with anti healing in their kits would also be very helpful. We have Odin, Serqet and Osiris, but Osiris is the only one who has anti-healing outside of his ultimate (on top of the anti healing on his ultimate). We have next to no physical gods (or actually, I don't think we have any) with Anti Heal in their main kit asside from that.
    Where does Osiris have anti-heal outside of his ult?
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature