Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: Stop surrenduring

  1. #11
    Junior Member Senior Cupidhead TheSongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40
    5
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaineTog View Post

    Smite is a GAME. GAMES are something you play to have FUN
    THAT'S PRECISELY MY POINT. IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING, IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN, SO IT SHOULDN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE NOT WINNING. When you surrender you remove the fun for you opponents. Even if you aren't having fun doesn't mean you have the right to ruin someone elses fun. Besides, if you can't have just as much fun losing as you do winning, you have a problem.

  2. #12
    Member Follower KeyserSozei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    165
    4
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Rep Power
    6
    i play casuals to have fun too, and when my team surrenders when there's still a chance of winning, you are ruining my fun. which you have no right to. if you don't have the capacity to try till the end and not have fun doing it then i don't see why you play games at all. like others have said, it's a GAME, you play any game in general to have fun.

    league is different being that it is a competitive esport basically. if you surrender then you should just quit the game in my opinion. you are now playing a game on a professional level in order to gain a rank or level of greatness. or to gain something, be it fame or money. for example even if Michael Jordan was losing a game, he didn't just quit, he continued to play his hardest until the end even if he knew he was going to lose the game, because he is a professional that is now playing a GAME (because that is what basketball is) for either fortune, fame, or to be the greatest.

    as for normal matches, the only reason i would surrender is if it's a complete loss and we all vote for it. i'm sure the OP, like many of us, meant that surrendering when there is still a chance is ridiculous. how are you ever going to have an "epic, or actually thrilling and fun" match if you don't try until the end.
    There is no high horse here, it's common sense. why bother starting up the game. queuing and basically devoting yourself to the allotted time for a match to play the game and have fun, if you intend to quit without actually trying? you just basically defeated the purpose of playing a game to have fun. you planned to play a match for 40 minutes but quit at 10 because you suddenly don't have the time because you're not doing so well? rubbish. continue to try, the outcome may change, and your outlook on "fun" may change.
    Last edited by KeyserSozei; 05-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.

  3. #13
    Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BlaineTog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    84
    3
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSongs View Post
    THAT'S PRECISELY MY POINT. IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING, IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN, SO IT SHOULDN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE NOT WINNING.
    First of all, fun is 100% subjective. There are no "shoulds" when it comes to what you find fun: it's totally up to you. How dare you presume to define what I "should" find fun. Get off your high horse.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSongs View Post
    When you surrender you remove the fun for you opponents. Even if you aren't having fun doesn't mean you have the right to ruin someone elses fun.
    I don't have any obligation to my opponents, only my allies. And if my opponents are enjoying the game, they can queue up again and perhaps enjoy that game as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSongs View Post
    Besides, if you can't have just as much fun losing as you do winning, you have a problem.
    Again, fun is subjective. You aren't the Prime Minister of Fun-Having. You don't get to decide how everyone else is to have fun.

    And for the record, I don't like being on the team that's stomping much more than I like being on the team that's being stomped. It's nice and all being able to absolutely annihilate people, but there's very little satisfaction to be had over crushing someone with sheer numerical advantage. I like close games. If the teams are evenly matched, it starts to feel like my skill really matters at every point and I can exalt when I make a successful play and bow to my opponent when he makes the play. If my team is losing by a landslide, I just get frustrated when nothing I do works out. If my team is winning by a landslide, I get bored and kinda hope the enemy team just surrenders to spare themselves the misery of being ground to dust by our giant sack of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSozei View Post
    i play casuals to have fun too, and when my team surrenders when there's still a chance of winning, you are ruining my fun. which you have no right to.
    Let's invert that, shall we?

    "i play casuals to have fun too, and when my team refuses to surrender when there's only a very slim chance of winning, you are ruining my fun. which you have no right to."

    See? Still works. If someone's fun is going to be ruined by the game continuing and someone else's fun is going to be ruined by the game ending, then the only way to resolve the issue is with a vote, with the majority getting their way.

    Oh, look. That's already how it works. Except you need a supermajority for the surrender to pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSozei View Post
    There is no high horse here, it's common sense. why bother starting up the game. queuing and basically devoting yourself to the allotted time for a match to play the game and have fun, if you intend to quit without actually trying? you just basically defeated the purpose of playing a game to have fun. you planned to play a match for 40 minutes but quit at 10 because you suddenly don't have the time because you're not doing so well? rubbish. continue to try, the outcome may change, and your outlook on "fun" may change.
    Because I have the common sense to know when I'm beaten, when I cannot possibly win unless the enemy team starts making massive mistakes. I don't want to win because the enemy team screws up. I want to win because I outplayed my opponents, not because my opponents outplayed themselves.

  4. #14
    Member Worshipper
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    BY ENEMY TOWER!!!!
    Posts
    447
    11
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with OP, there is too much surrendering in this game. Four feeders voting against the one person who knows how to play is pretty retarded. Why should the only player who knows how to play be punished by four people who don't?

    Surrendering is the worst thing you can do. It makes you a horrible player, because you end up learning nothing. You need to learn how to fight under leveled, how to defend under leveled and how to catch up in levels if you fall behind.
    Last edited by Luzarius; 05-15-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    I used to play He bo, then they nerfed He bo. What now?

  5. #15
    Junior Member Cupidhead BloodySall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    19
    4
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Rep Power
    0
    It does not matter there is a chance of winning or not. If the current game is not fun to me, I surrender.
    It is a pity that you can not surrender in the first 10 minutes of the match. Sometimes, I press f6 after three minutes.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Honoured Aximundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    West coast
    Posts
    658
    5
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSongs View Post
    It's not about the importance of anybodies time, and chances are all 5 of us will use that time after the surrender for the same thing, which is the same thing we are already doing. The only difference is that we'll be doing so after being total buzzkills. Your point doesn't even connect to my point. The amount of time involved is irrelevant, the action simply should not be done.
    yea they should take out the option to not be stuck in a losing match for longer then you should be!
    Who cares about having a balanced and fun game not me i want to leave my base only to die and listen to people whine complain and bitch about anything to make sure they don't take responsibility themselves that the match was bad.


    That just sounds like sooooo much fun implement it now hirez................................

    honestly every topic i see is about not having a surrender or some BS i look at home many are come backs that i have had and how many are just.... that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luzarius View Post
    Surrendering is the worst thing you can do. It makes you a horrible player, because you end up learning nothing. You need to learn how to fight under leveled, how to defend under leveled and how to catch up in levels if you fall behind.
    Yea those pros... those guys who play for money and make it their life what do they know surrendering bad matches they are horrible

    Last edited by Aximundi; 05-15-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    Color my life with the chaos of trouble

  7. #17
    Junior Member Cupidhead VeraaCoba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12
    3
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlamydia1 View Post
    Four. That's how many people need to agree to a surrender for the motion to pass. The time of four other people is more important than your own time and you need to realize that.
    This^ and this again stop being selfish.
    You can run you can hide but you can't escape my doves!

  8. #18
    Senior Member Honoured Aximundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    West coast
    Posts
    658
    5
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    7
    Actually here solves the problem everybody who doesn't want to surrender go make premades..., problem solved go play 5 man premades.
    Dont get stuck with us casual scum who surrender obviously losing matches.
    Then you dont have the flood the forums with this BS and have better games...

    its like i used my brain or something =O
    Color my life with the chaos of trouble

  9. #19
    Senior Member Chosen Dalzaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,180
    7
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Luzarius View Post
    I agree with OP, there is too much surrendering in this game. Four feeders voting against the one person who knows how to play is pretty retarded. Why should the only player who knows how to play be punished by four people who don't?

    Surrendering is the worst thing you can do. It makes you a horrible player, because you end up learning nothing. You need to learn how to fight under leveled, how to defend under leveled and how to catch up in levels if you fall behind.
    Sorry to burst your bubbles but even a single feeder can easily cost you the game and you presume that people surrender because they are bad players,sorry but no,people surrender for many reasons and as pointed out the most common one is that they are not having fun,either the enemy is far ahead of them or they have a toxic fella on their team that is ruining the hopes of an "epic comeback" with his attitude and horrible plays.

    Surrendering does not make anyone a horrible player.If you want to surrender because your whole team is getting stompped,thats a wise choice,if you wanna surrender because you just lost your lane while the rest of your team is doing OK,that shows that your a sore loser.

  10. #20
    Member Follower Allakim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153
    3
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    6
    There's a lot of fake macho crap going on here. I NEVER surrender. You're a bad player if you surrender. You don't learn anything if you surrender.

    Firstly, there's neither shame nor weakness in saying "this game is at a point where it is not fun, I want out." The never surrender philosophy is a level of fanatacism that means you are completely incapable of making a sensible decision. People who have this mindset also probably believe that they should finish reading every book they ever start, finish watching a TV series even if it's terrible, or eat a burnt meal simply because they started it. It's illogical and it's selfish.

    Surrendering doesn't make you a bad player. A bad player is simply a bad player - surrendering doesn't come into the picture.

    You don't learn anything if you surrender is, again, false. You've learnt everything up to that point in the game. The best way to learn to come back from being down is to be down, true. But if you can't learn when to call something quits, you're learning far less.

    Surrender is there for a reason, and that reason being that for a lot of people it's simply not fun to know a game will last an extra 20-30 minutes because it isn't working out. You have 2-3 games like that a day and you've wasted an hour to an hour and a half playing with Captain Braveheart who's charging around being a capslock champion and generally lowering your will to live.

    It is the absolute worst kind of person who inflicts their fanatacism on others. If you don't like to surrender, ask yourself why. Are you really that much more important than your team?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •