Thread: 2 Months in opinions

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

2 Months in opinions

So I read another post on this thread that made me want to post a few things I've noticed in my first couple months playing. I've posted on the forums before but I'll probably reuse something I've previously said. Overall, the game is very fun. I enjoy it a lot and I've played my fair share of moba's. However, there are some major issues that require fixing that I've seen a bunch of other people post about.

1- Leaving. More people leave matches in this game than anything else I've played. It drives me absolutely nuts how just about every other game, I'm not exaggerated, someone on 1 team leaves. Usually it's in the beginning and they're gone the whole match which shows they made no effort to reconnect. I understand that this isn't a game issue (unless a lot of clients are crashing, mine never did) but they need to enforce much stricter rules regarding this. It ruins a game.

2- Unnecessary powers. Before I provide my point let me preface this by saying any response with "JUST BUY ITEMS" only furthers my point. If you have to buy an item early game just to counter a specific champ, said champ is broken. The first example I'll use is Scylla. I had never played as her until she went on free rotation, however the first game I did I dropped 16 kills. I ended up getting her mastery very shortly, not losing a game and not getting less than 10 kills once. I'm not a MOBA god, it was just insanely obvious to me that she was broken and I was smart enough to exploit it. Her abilities don't need the extra push once they reach max level, they're fine. The theme of adding extra powers that don't belong go to a lot of champs. Chaac has a stupid heal, and a good Thanatos can wreck just about any team (another champ that I went off with my first few games) if he gets even slightly ahead in the jungle. Zeus is wickedly OP if played correctly, and Kumba is just dumb. I don't have time to list off all the champs, but the game can be much more balanced if the SMITE team put effort into changing abilities rather than just putting in an item (laziness).

3- This is a minor one but something I hope can be changed eventually. I wish there was more detail when I look at my in game player card. For some reason it doesn't let me view online, and it'd be cool to look at stats while waiting in the queue.

4- The queue times can be a bit annoying but it's not too big of a deal. Maybe shorten them by about 30 seconds to make it go smoother (for the player, I understand servers can only take so much and smite is relatively new).

5- Not enough variety. Look at the champs and you'll see something that disappoints me: they're basically all mages. 18 mages and the only other one over 10 is Assassins.

6- Spawn times. If I'm 15minutes into a game I don't think a 40 second respawn is necessary.

On a few positive notes.
    1- In regards to #5 I do love that they are always adding new Gods to the game, and the concept of Gods in general is awesome. The fact they add Lore to the story makes it even better. 2 Gods a month is a great way to flood the game with a bunch of gods and make it full of different playable Gods.

2- Rent a god. Short and simple, it's a great idea. I also like how you can practice with any God.

3- Fast matches. We've all been in our fair share of 40+minute games, but for the most part Smite games are relatively quick and action packed. The 3rd person view makes it much more excited than just clicking and watching your character run. Gameplay is awesome, and the item shop is easy to use (although they need more items added, which I'm sure will happen over time).

4- Load times. When I played other MOBA's I had time to use the bathroom while waiting for a match to load. Smite has loaded in less than 10 seconds for me sometimes.

There are more areas that I wish they'd improve, and there are even more areas I'm completely happy with. However, in relation to my last line I have to now use the bathroom (prob why that was the example I used) and am going to end the post. All in all with a little work and time this game can easily overtake other MOBA's as the top dog.

Senior Member Honoured AllknowingWolf's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    1. Yeah, what I hear is people ragequit the first time they die? I don't get it in the slightest, I see people quiting all the time, usually when we're winning..Best thing to do is you can report them which I haven't really done myself because regardless we still usually win, but that happening in things like league or competitive modes would kill my enjoyment. But that's why goodwill/block player exists.

2. I assume this is about strong moves? It's just how the game is. Lots of char's moves can be countered and avoided if you play correctly.

3. What do you mean by this?

4. My roommate doesnt like those either. But all moba's do it, and its so the servers can be at a good speed. Its needed and not something I'd recommend removing.

5. There 51 gods, with more coming and all of them have unique play styles, most in same class have very different movesets. Its far more variety in play styles than other moba's I've seen. I don't think you quite understand how the classes/characters are.

6. That's completely the point, dying is the worst thing you can do. And if everyone is careless on one team, and die. The other team can push and destroy minions, towers and phoenix and titans easier. Its just knowing your limits, its the most important thing to learn. If you spawned right after, the game would take double the time guaranteed.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    1. Leaving: Im not sure stricter rules will fix it. Smite is one of the hardest games out there to play well. Players till are not used to it and dont like to try hard. Personally, i think the solution is to offer a format which is non-competitive, much larger in size (maybe 20vs20) and does not penalise leaving.

2- Unnecessary powers: The first god u tried is Scylla? She can actually be quite easy. The thing is, each Smite God and God type is different. Some people adapt naturally to certain god's skills and find it really easy. Some people will try the same God and find it very hard. That's the beauty of Smite. To become a master of the game, and appreciate its intricacies, you really need to learn Gods which you find hard to play. The easy ones for you are easy, even boringly overpowered. Scylla (and other possibly easier to play Gods like Ao Kuang) at higher rank play is easily countered by more experienced players.

I think you are approaching Smite completely the wrong way. You think Smite is as easy and shallow as LoL. It isn't. I suspect Smite is deeper and harder than LoL and possibly even Dota2.

3- More detail on player card during queue. Nice suggestion. I once thought they should let us browse the God database while waiting in the final queue before the game started. But actually, I now realise the player cards and little detail are there for a reason. You really have to think about the proficiences of the Gods and opponents you face (look at masteries, beta tester etc), and plan your strategy. More stats on cards isn't going to help you. More stats is probably going to distract you. Think about the abilities of the Gods, how you can counter build or counter play. Who you will farm on.

4- The queue times: I also prefer shorter queues. I'm not sure why they are sometimes so long.

5- Not enough variety, all mages: Myabe there are more mages because they are easier to play. In truth even amongst the mages there is a lot of variety. Smite continues to add Gods and the present tableaux is actually already very challenging. Have you tried becoming good in just one assassin?

6- Spawn times: The lengthier spawn times are there for you think cool down and think what you are doing wrong. The longer the game the more challenging it is to turn things around for your team.

What do you think is your player rank compared to the community? You may have a high KDA on Scylla, but I suspect if that is all you have then you are actually very very low. The matchmaking algorithm is waiting for you to prove yourself to get into more challenging games. You can stay in the low ranks if you like. But I suspect Hirez is focussed on esports and is not really interested in keeping players who are a bit shallow-minded.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkpony View Post
    1. Leaving: Im not sure stricter rules will fix it. Smite is one of the hardest games out there to play well. Players till are not used to it and dont like to try hard. Personally, i think the solution is to offer a format which is non-competitive, much larger in size (maybe 20vs20) and does not penalise leaving.

2- Unnecessary powers: The first god u tried is Scylla? She can actually be quite easy. The thing is, each Smite God and God type is different. Some people adapt naturally to certain god's skills and find it really easy. Some people will try the same God and find it very hard. That's the beauty of Smite. To become a master of the game, and appreciate its intricacies, you really need to learn Gods which you find hard to play. The easy ones for you are easy, even boringly overpowered. Scylla (and other possibly easier to play Gods like Ao Kuang) at higher rank play is easily countered by more experienced players.

I think you are approaching Smite completely the wrong way. You think Smite is as easy and shallow as LoL. It isn't. I suspect Smite is deeper and harder than LoL and possibly even Dota2.

3- More detail on player card during queue. Nice suggestion. I once thought they should let us browse the God database while waiting in the final queue before the game started. But actually, I now realise the player cards and little detail are there for a reason. You really have to think about the proficiences of the Gods and opponents you face (look at masteries, beta tester etc), and plan your strategy. More stats on cards isn't going to help you. More stats is probably going to distract you. Think about the abilities of the Gods, how you can counter build or counter play. Who you will farm on.

4- The queue times: I also prefer shorter queues. I'm not sure why they are sometimes so long.

5- Not enough variety, all mages: Myabe there are more mages because they are easier to play. In truth even amongst the mages there is a lot of variety. Smite continues to add Gods and the present tableaux is actually already very challenging. Have you tried becoming good in just one assassin?

6- Spawn times: The lengthier spawn times are there for you think cool down and think what you are doing wrong. The longer the game the more challenging it is to turn things around for your team.

What do you think is your player rank compared to the community? You may have a high KDA on Scylla, but I suspect if that is all you have then you are actually very very low. The matchmaking algorithm is waiting for you to prove yourself to get into more challenging games. You can stay in the low ranks if you like. But I suspect Hirez is focussed on esports and is not really interested in keeping players who are a bit shallow-minded.
    You completely misread what I said about Scylla. She was like the 16th god I played and again was using as an example. It's not just Scylla I have a high KDA in, it's everyone. In the majority of the games I play I lead the team in some way. I'm usually "that guy" on the team giving instructions to everyone else that doesn't listen and gets mad.

I've noticed a trend in the forums. Anyone who points out a flaw is regarded as a noob by the people who've played for a while. I don't think Smite is easy or shallow, I can definitely tell the Gods (take a shot everytime I say champs) have a lot more to them than other games. But it's still a bit much in a few cases. I have no problem with the matchmaking algorithm, that was the other guy that made another post.

I do think your idea of a massive game mode would be awesome, however 20v20 would be pure chaos (the amount of stuns/etc would be crazy) but a 10v10 or something of the like would definitely be cool with a massive map. I have faith Smite will do it, Seige is already my go-to gamemode (I don't always have time, or want to spend time, playing conquest).

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by AllknowingWolf View Post
    1. Yeah, what I hear is people ragequit the first time they die? I don't get it in the slightest, I see people quiting all the time, usually when we're winning..Best thing to do is you can report them which I haven't really done myself because regardless we still usually win, but that happening in things like league or competitive modes would kill my enjoyment. But that's why goodwill/block player exists.

2. I assume this is about strong moves? It's just how the game is. Lots of char's moves can be countered and avoided if you play correctly.

3. What do you mean by this?

4. My roommate doesnt like those either. But all moba's do it, and its so the servers can be at a good speed. Its needed and not something I'd recommend removing.

5. There 51 gods, with more coming and all of them have unique play styles, most in same class have very different movesets. Its far more variety in play styles than other moba's I've seen. I don't think you quite understand how the classes/characters are.

6. That's completely the point, dying is the worst thing you can do. And if everyone is careless on one team, and die. The other team can push and destroy minions, towers and phoenix and titans easier. Its just knowing your limits, its the most important thing to learn. If you spawned right after, the game would take double the time guaranteed.
    3: I mean if I'm in the game client I want to go to my player page and view my stats for each God and stuff like that. If they showed what % of my kills were with each ability that'd be even cooler.

5: There are just a ton of mages, I know there's a ton of variety with them and that's one thing I mentioned in the positives (everyone always reads the negatives lol). I fully understand the classes, I'm not new to this, I just want a few more hunters to choose from rather than the flood of mages.

6: I'm not saying spawned right after, I'm just saying the spawn times are a bit excessive for early game. The scaling of death times doesn't really make sense to me.

Achievements:
    Also I'm so upset they made Cthulu a skin and not his own God, lovecraft gods are the most badass things I wish they brought in that Pantheon.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime0709 View Post
    You completely misread what I said about Scylla. ...

I've noticed a trend in the forums. Anyone who points out a flaw is regarded as a noob...

I do think your idea of a massive game mode would be awesome, however 20v20 ...
    um yea i looked at your profile -- you should be going into league matches right? i mean if you don't enjoy the game at that point, then maybe you should look for another game. Suggestions are always welcome though.

sry if i dissed u. i thnk ur quite good at smite. if u have worked out so many gods and can see how they are OP, then ya, i think u shud be playing in ranked matches.

About calling people noobs on forums. Happens all the time :/ This is a pvp game :/ players usually are bitches.

Ya-- in large scale wars stuns can freeze a lot of things. But i think the durations are ok. Ive played in big wars with similar duration effects (DAOC) and it *should* ok for smire (i hope, maybe im wrong). Players learn to counter it.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class! Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    1) You must have low elo to see lots of leavers....
    2) In a moba for higher level play you need to know god's weak points. It also set ups a way to build a team that combos. It also to have more then one build all the time.
    3)fair point
    4)If you hate leavers lower que time would make it worse. I would like it even to be a bit more long but balanced.
    5)They still adding gods.
    Don't get get !

Bug Connoisseur Prestigious Flareb00t's Avatar
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Guide
    The respawn timers in Conquest are based on Level x 3, then half a second for every minute after 30.

Create a support ticket here!

Bug Reporting Forums

If you have any questions about the game, feel free to PM.