Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Geb Is Underpowered

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Geb Is Underpowered

I know there are going to be people who disagree, but I think I've played Geb long enough to say this and he seems without a doubt underpowered.

First I'll start off with a positive, late in the game he's very tanky and hard to kill and usually it takes multiple characters to kill him which is fair enough, but his overall damage output is far too insufficient to the point that often he can simply be ignored and the other team can focus on attacking the rest of my teammates as they know they can handle anything Geb can dish out.

Now looking at his abilities:

Roll Out is pretty much useless. Very easy to avoid and at full speed sometimes you don't even want to land a hit with it as it could help out the enemy team by knocking them out of danger. Now under the right circumstances such as if you can get behind an enemy or on the side of them it can be very useful, but those are far too limited circumstances. I often find it simply better to avoid hitting an opponent all together when at full speed and simply using it as a catch up or escape which is pretty shitty considering it's his most damaging move. It seems most useful when out of battle which I think is bad for what I think is a good support character.

Shockwave is easily Geb's most useful ability, it deals a somewhat decent aoe damage and knocks opponents up which can be a great way of helping out an ally in danger, but even this move has it's problems as enemies are often immune to its knock up effect while performing certain abilities.

Stone Shield, not really much to say about this one blocks a decent chunk of damage and clears CC which is good.

Cataclysm is an okay Ult if surrounded by enemies it does a nice chunk of damage to all those around you, but the short stun time doesn't allow for you to deal out much offense yourself nor time for teammates to follow up. If there's no one blocking the path in front of you it can be a decent escape which often isn't the case. So what we're left with is an Ult that's not so great for set ups and not so great for escapes.

Overall my impression of Geb is while he's a good support character even for a guardian he's far too reliant on teammates for dealing damage and is pretty useless in solo situations. He doesn't need to deal a lot of damage, but at least enough that the enemy team can't ignore him in a fight.

How to fix him:

More damage on Roll Out or make the hit box wider.

Longer stun times for cataclysm or shorter cooldown.

Not a lot of changes I feel need to be made but either of the changes to the above 2 abilities I think would help immensely.
    Last edited by ChaoticP; 11-07-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Senior Member Prestigious BobKetchup's Avatar
    In a Heinz Ketchup Bottle crying because I realized I misspelled ketchup in my location for 6 months
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticP View Post
    I know there are going to be people who disagree, but I think I've played Geb long enough to say this and he seems without a doubt underpowered.

First I'll start off with a positive, late in the game he's very tanky and hard to kill and usually it takes multiple characters to kill him which is fair enough, but his overall damage output is far too insufficient to the point that often he can simply be ignored and the other team can focus on attacking the rest of my teammates as they know they can handle anything Geb can dish out.

Roll Out is probably the most useless move period. Very easy to avoid and at full speed sometimes you don't even want to land a hit with it as it could help out the enemy team by knocking them out of danger. Now under the right circumstances such as if you can get behind an enemy or on the side of them it can be very useful, but those are far too limited circumstances. I often find it simply better to avoid hitting an opponent all together when at full speed and simply using it as a catch up or escape which is pretty shitty considering it's his most damaging move. It seems most useful when out of battle which I think is bad for what I think is a good support character.

Shockwave is easily Geb's most useful ability, it deals a somewhat decent aoe damage and knocks opponents up which can be a great way of helping out an ally in danger, but even this move has it's problems as enemies are often immune to its knock up effect while performing certain abilities.

Stone Shield, not really much to say about this one blocks a decent chunk of damage and clears CC which is good.

Cataclysm is an okay Ult if surrounded by enemies it does a nice chunk of damage to all those around you, but the short stun time doesn't allow for you to deal out much offense yourself nor time for teammates to follow up. If there's no one blocking the path in front of you it can be a decent escape which often isn't the case. So what we're left with is an Ult that's not so great for set ups and not so great for escapes.

Overall my impression of Geb is while he's a good support character even for a guardian he's far too reliant on teammates for dealing damage and is pretty useless in solo situations. EHe doesn't need to deal a lot of damage, but at least enough that the enemy team can't ignore him in a fight.

How to fix him:

Not a lot of changes I feel need to be made but either of the changes to the above 2 abilities I think would help immensely.
    His ult does 35% of someones current health and stuns, one of the best initiations in the game for teamfights, his rollout makes him the fastest thing in the game movement speed wise, and his knockup on his 2 is great and does good damage, hes not too vulnerable to hunters due to crits doing less damage to him and his 3 cleanses all current CC and adds large amounts of health, he's overpowered if anything
    Half of what I say is a joke.
    http://niceme.me/
    Survivor Ullr is Billy Mays
    My Top Warriors: Bellona Ravana Amaterasu
    My Top Assassins: Fenrir Thor Mercury
    My Top 3 Guardians: Ares Xing Tian Sobek
    My Top 3 Mages: Hades Sol Zeus
    My Top 3 Hunters: Ullr Hou Yi Medusa

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKetchup View Post
    His ult does 35% of someones current health and stuns, one of the best initiations in the game for teamfights, his rollout makes him the fastest thing in the game movement speed wise, and his knockup on his 2 is great and does good damage, hes not too vulnerable to hunters due to crits doing less damage to him and his 3 cleanses all current CC and adds large amounts of health, he's overpowered if anything
    35% at max level and honestly that really isn't a whole lot, probably good against tankier characters, but you can easily do more than that much damage against non-warriors and non-guardians. Again except for escapes and catchups rollout isn't of much use for the reasons I pointed out. I agree his 2 and 3 are good which is why I didn't suggest changes to any of them, but those alone don't make him a good character especially when you start comparing him to other guardians who are both tanky and can deal much better damage. Geb is far from overpowered his usefulness is far too limited by circumstance.

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticP View Post
    Not really. He's very strong and has been top pick for a very long time.
    First I'll start off with a positive, late in the game he's very tanky and hard to kill and usually it takes multiple characters to kill him which is fair enough
    He is a guardian, that's what they do, but alright.
    , but his overall damage output is far too insufficient
    Geb is a devensive guardian, more of a support than a bruiser.
    to the point that often he can simply be ignored and the other team can focus on attacking the rest of my teammates as they know they can handle anything Geb can dish out.
    This goes for a lot of guardians, however Geb has stronger CC and his shield more than makes up for it

Roll Out is pretty much useless.
    Not true.
    Very easy to avoid and at full speed sometimes you don't even want to land a hit with it as it could help out the enemy team by knocking them out of danger.
    Again, it's not useless because it DOES slow the enemy and, when used properly, can knock an enemy in the opposite direction of where they want to go. Not to mention its the best guardian movement ability in the game.
    Now under the right circumstances such as if you can get behind an enemy or on the side of them it can be very useful,
    Yes.
    but those are far too limited circumstances.
    Again, it's situational offensively, because Geb is a defensive guardian. It's mostly used for mobility, though.
    I often find it simply better to avoid hitting an opponent all together when at full speed and simply using it as a catch up or escape
    That's one of the uses.
    which is pretty shitty considering it's his most damaging move.
    Most damaging does not mean most offensive. Many ults do more damage than their respective god's movement abilities but it is used a different way, making comparison foolish.
    It seems most useful when out of battle which I think is bad for what I think is a good support character.
    It IS most useful out of battle but that doesn't mean it isn't useful IN battle.
    Shockwave is easily Geb's most useful ability,
    Arguable.
    it deals a somewhat decent aoe damage and knocks opponents up
    Knockups are actually a very effective form of cancelling channeled abilities, by the way. Making him very strong against a few other guardians.
    which can be a great way of helping out an ally in danger,
    Or, like I said before, stopping enemies from using abilities.
    but even this move has it's problems as enemies are often immune to its knock up effect while performing certain abilities.
    Very few abilities are knockup immune and the ones that are aren't very intimidating.

Not to mention it has a low cooldown.
    Cataclysm is an okay Ult
    It's about a 7.7/10. It has devastating effects when used in conjunction with other abilities, but can still be used properly against smaller groups.
    if surrounded by enemies
    Or if not, using it to secure a kill for your ADC is not a bad idea.
    it does a nice chunk of damage to all those around you
    35% Of current HP is a pretty large hit.
    , but the short stun time
    Most stuns are in the 1 second range, so the stun time is average.
    doesn't allow for you to deal out much offense yourself
    Again, defensive guardian.
    nor time for teammates to follow up.
    This is more a situation of team coordination than stun time.
    If there's no one blocking the path in front of you it can be a decent escape
    It's best used as a set up, not an escape.
    which often isn't the case.

So what we're left with is an Ult that's not so great for set ups
    It's amazing for setups. You just need to be coordinated with your team.
    and not so great for escapes.
    I'll give you that one.
    Overall my impression of Geb is while he's a good support character
    Geb is the top support in the game. Athena is an offtank, Geb is a support.
    even for a guardian he's far too reliant on teammates for dealing damage
    Congratulations, you have described all guardians excepting Hades and Cabrakan!
    and is pretty useless in solo situations.
    Supportive gods generally are.
    He doesn't need to deal a lot of damage,
    Exactly my point.
    but at least enough that the enemy team can't ignore him in a fight.
    A good Geb is not ignorable.
    How to fix him:

Even MORE damage?
    Cataclysm is perfectly fine.
    And would lead to reddit burning down HiRez HQ in a heartbeat.
    Geb is one of my favorite guardians.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Achievements:
    Thanks for that lengthy response, but I'll just highlight a few points I particularly disagree with.

Just Hades and Cabrakhan? Almost every guardian in the game aside from maybe Khepri can deal more damage than Geb.

Yeah I understand Geb is intended to be primarily a defensive guardian and I like a defensive guardian, but that isn't really addressing the issue. I'm sure there's some amazing Geb players at a high level and teams that do great with Geb, but again that's all circumstantial. Let's be realistic in a team with randomly selected players you can't expect everyone to be playing in sync, but even in those cases you have guardians who can do what Geb can do but better. Bacchus has more mobility Kumbhakarna has better CC, etc.

I like Geb as well as his playstyle as it's fairly simple and straightforward, but at the same time I'd gladly see him lose some defense in favor of versatility.
    Last edited by ChaoticP; 11-07-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Achievements:
    You know what actually I realize is what I'm saying is not that he's underpowered, but he's just not a versatile character as in strong in some situation, but not very many.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    he's my number 1 support always has been he isn't up to date for the current hyper carry meta he is defense was fit for back when farming was more important than rushing kills like the new meta is pushing for warrior and more aggressive supports. Geb shield is the most op item in the game and his biggest asset and can blink in to initiate a fight but more of the old school way i see him more as undervalued rather than underpowered just my opinion

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    One of the best counters to the CC heavy guardians. But I think he does need a team built around him now

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead badboy1235's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    so true so underpowered needs buffing
    i hope no more guardians get the Khepri treatment lmao!!!!!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I fair pretty well with Geb. You can't play a guardian without being able to accept that your kills aren't going to be very high man. We are the unsung heroes of this game.