PDA

View Full Version : More magical protection + CDR items?

Enigmatisty
10-17-2015, 01:18 PM
As of now, the item trees for magical and physical protection are not very symmetrical, as in they don't have equivalents for every item.
One lack of an equivalent is magical protection + CDR items.
The only items that give CDR and magical prots are Ancile and Spirit Robe. Ancile's health stacks only add up to 250 and doesn't turn out very useful in the end compared to better items like Runic Shield or even Stone of Gaia, whose passive and high magical defense is better. Spirit Robe is costly and is usually purchased mid to late game and isn't seen very commonly (which is weird as it's a wonderful item against CC-heavy teams).
And the most notable examples are BoV and Mail of Renewal. Both are popular items against physicals and give CDR at differing prices. BoV supplies mana and a large amount of physical defense along with 25% CDR for abilities, and Mail of Renewal has 15% CDR for some health and less defense with a passive that helps sustain out.
It'd help expand build diversity against magicals if there were opposites of these items that give magical protections along with CDR, instead of using a slot up for a magical prot item from the magical defense/health tree and having to buy another item with CDR.
So do you think there should be more kinds of these items?

LoudAndAnnoying
10-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Why exactly do you need a cdr magical item?

The problem is it doesn't necessarily help with balance to add equivalents to other items, for instance if you added a melee protection equivalent to gaia stone, I could then easily stack it with bulwark while maintaining balance, and the combination would be way to potent defensively.

Lagministrator
10-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Honestly Ancile in its current rendition isn't very good. Old Ancile was absolutely amazing in every way. More CDR, same protections, and 50 power.

Enigmatisty
10-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Why exactly do you need a cdr magical item?

The problem is it doesn't necessarily help with balance to add equivalents to other items, for instance if you added a melee protection equivalent to gaia stone, I could then easily stack it with bulwark while maintaining balance, and the combination would be way to potent defensively.

Mainly so I don't have to waste one slot on magical protection and dedicate two more for CDR-based items. More costly and takes up a half of my build.
While that is true, I find it odd that there's not many items for magical protection that don't have health as a secondary stat. I'm not saying that every defense item for both physicals and magicals needs to have an identical counterpart, but that there needs to be more of a variety for defense items without relying on health as a secondary stat.

BorneBlood
12-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Yes, there needs to be a f*kn magical protection 25% CDR item already, preferably with HP.

xVIPx Superb
12-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Yeh I hate how there is no magical equivalent of breastplate of valor...

Enigmatisty
12-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Yeh I hate how there is no magical equivalent of breastplate of valor...

It's so hard to build against mages because of that. They get BoV and all physicals have are Stone of Gaia and Spirit Robe. Using Bulwark and Heartward on anyone other than guardians is uncommon and gimps out on utility. Pestilence needs to see the sunlight and have better healing reduction.

SeventhArchon
12-03-2015, 02:54 AM
Or a buff to Chronos' overrated pendant.

Enigmatisty
12-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Or a buff to Chronos' overrated pendant.

I'm talking about physicals needing more varied magical defense items with stats other than health.

Bulldogz4Life
12-04-2015, 12:25 PM
The problem I see with a magical defense + CDR item is that this would further nerf mages into the ground. Every guardian would pick this item up to further counter teams with magic damage, while also supplying themselves with reduced ability wait time. I do agree that we need more magic damage oriented CDR items though, rather than just Chronos' Pendant.

It's already bad enough that mages usually do little damage vs guardians but I feel this would only make them worse. Maybe if you included a penetration + CDR item to further cut through guardian protections, that I could support. Something like:

+20 Magic Power
+20 Magical Penetration
+15% Cooldown Reduction

or

+40 Magic Power
+11 Magical Penetration
PASSIVE - If your ability hits an Enemy god, reduces the cooldown of that ability by 3 seconds or 25%, whichever is less

Enigmatisty
12-07-2015, 12:34 PM
The problem I see with a magical defense + CDR item is that this would further nerf mages into the ground. Every guardian would pick this item up to further counter teams with magic damage, while also supplying themselves with reduced ability wait time. I do agree that we need more magic damage oriented CDR items though, rather than just Chronos' Pendant.

It's already bad enough that mages usually do little damage vs guardians but I feel this would only make them worse. Maybe if you included a penetration + CDR item to further cut through guardian protections, that I could support. Something like:

+20 Magic Power
+20 Magical Penetration
+15% Cooldown Reduction

or

+40 Magic Power
+11 Magical Penetration
PASSIVE - If your ability hits an Enemy god, reduces the cooldown of that ability by 3 seconds or 25%, whichever is less

You raise a good point, but try Spear of the Magus on bursty mages like Nox or Ah Puch against a guardian and see if then they deal bad damage.
If physicals gain magical protection, then it'd make sense if mages were given more options for penetration.

sabwa
12-11-2015, 04:00 PM
I honestly don't mind building physical cdr against magical comps too much because the physical prot is going to help me tank minions and towers anway. Assuming there's at least one physical enemy on the enemy team it's probably worth getting.

If we're talking about symmetry for item choices I would absolutely love an attack-speed reduction item (other than witchblade) for guardian/mage's. I keep finding myself searching through the item menu for runic shield when I play guardian :(