PDA

View Full Version : Communication for a better forum.

CeleritéSarah
10-14-2015, 11:10 PM
I've noticed that a lot of anger can be stirred up during forum conversations. This has even happened to me.
The fact is that people communicate differently, and problems in this communication results in the crossing of lines that should be left uncrossed.

In this thread I am going to give you some information about communication in hopes that some of you will retain this information for the future.

People do not communicate the same. Threads are generally not created with you in mind. Some people post for help and some post for support. Some threads are just somebody wanting to feel justified in their beliefs. They need to vent. Everybody needs an outlet, and some people vent their frustration to others.

Imagine this: You're telling somebody about how a cop wrote you a ticket for being parked in a timed spot for more than 30 minutes. Now imagine that the reason you were parked there was because your engine died and you were waiting on a tow truck.
Now while you're telling this person how stupid it was of them to write you a ticket when you couldn't do anything about it, the person interrupts you and says "well maybe you should carry jumper cables."

You're not looking for advice, you're looking to be supported. When somebody makes a post saying "Poseidon is OP nerf please" they are not actually asking that Poseidon be nerfed. They are looking for other people who feel Poseidon is difficult to play against. When you jump in and say something that boils down to "Poseidon isn't OP, you just suck," you may think that you're comment is justified. It is not. This can be seen as a form of trolling. I'll give an example of two responses:

Response A: "No, Poseidon is just fine. You should use beads to escape his 3 and Aegis to avoid his ult."
Response B: "I wouldn't say that he's overpowered, but he's quite annoying to play against with his burst potential."

Response B is the proper response. While you may not agree with the second response, the first one is not what the poster is looking for and will probably be seen as trolling. You may not intend to be trolling, but if you cannot handle using the second response then you probably shouldn't bother saying anything.

Avoid targeting the person

I think this is common knowledge but it must be said anyways. Avoid targeting the person. Do not insult them. This means no saying "get good" or "maybe it's your fault." Another thing to avoid is offensive language. I am not talking about swearing or something, I'm talking about targeting somebody unintentionally. In the responses above, the first one conveyed a message of "You're wrong," where the second response conveyed "I disagree." The difference is that if somebody is a defensive listener, they will interpret something along the lines of "You're stupid" or "shut up." Again, this may not be your intention but the result is the same. Do not use you statements but instead I statements.
"I disagree."
vs
"You're wrong!"

As a final note
I will leave you with my definition of a troll post, as well as some advice for people who struggle with doing that which I have discussed in this thread.

Troll post: A post which is not welcome.
A real life example is at a funeral. Saying "The guy deserved it! He was a drunk and a thief. He even cheated on his wife!" would not be welcome regardless of how true it is.

A piece of advice:
If you cannot determine the intention of the post or cannot attune yourself to the tone of the post, then you probably shouldn't be commenting at all. You simply are not yet ready for mediated communication. There is a time and a place to use facts, and that is not all the time.

Jezereal
10-14-2015, 11:27 PM
Forums are meant for discussing ideas, however when someone is simply unwilling to listen to others, we will evict him verbally. This is proper roman Forum. I'll gladly verbally destroy someones soul, if they deserve it, by their ignorance of other opinions. Thinking you can make us all talk prim and proper with political correctness is folly.

Trisitella
10-15-2015, 12:17 AM
Um, I mean, idk, I would like to think most people on these forums are generally living by a 'dont be a dick' type of code. (for the most part, there is still dickery from people sometimes, in form of snide remarks and sarcastic gifs and the likes)

But theres no way to police how people talk or think. Just like you say there is opinion and there is fact. You give an example of two responses and say option B is the correct response. I just want to know, who are you to be the one to make that sort of judgement? What is even is 'proper' vs what isnt. No one can truly have any sort of judgement on these forums outside of mods. And mods will usually only intervene if a rule is broken.

Can I understand your point of view? Sure. I dont drive, but any time I order food my parents will also order pizza making my order a waste and there is too much food now, and people say "Why didnt you text your mom?" "Im poor and I dont have a phone and neither does she", however in my personal opinion real life scenarios such as parking tickets or food deliveries, arent comparable to Moba balance threads, and what a person means by their post varies from thread to thread. This just feels like to broad of a statment.

However, I am always open to being shown a different point of view, perhaps you can change my mind. However its just my two cents that thinking anyone can police someone's point of view or thinking is wrong.

LoudAndAnnoying
10-15-2015, 08:13 AM
So basically fascist thought policing? I love how the way you act is the right way to act. This thread is just your fascist agenda poorly disguised as a moralistic argument.

Imagine this: You're telling somebody about how a cop wrote you a ticket for being parked in a timed spot for more than 30 minutes. Now imagine that the reason you were parked there was because your engine died and you were waiting on a tow truck.
Now while you're telling this person how stupid it was of them to write you a ticket when you couldn't do anything about it, the person interrupts you and says "well maybe you should carry jumper cables."

You're not looking for advice, you're looking to be supported. When somebody makes a post saying "Poseidon is OP nerf please" they are not actually asking that Poseidon be nerfed. They are looking for other people who feel Poseidon is difficult to play against. When you jump in and say something that boils down to "Poseidon isn't OP, you just suck," you may think that you're comment is justified. It is not.

Oh, I'm not justified? But the person who thinks they're entitled to burden me with their frustration, and generally be an annoying little prick is? So I have to support someone for basically being a whinny little bitch because I always have to say whatever the fuck they like? You're literally telling me the only just thing to do is lie and support behavior that is annoying and totally unjustified. You know what no one wants to hear? Someone bitching about Poseidon.

RippleApple
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
So basically fascist thought policing? I love how the way you act is the right way to act. This thread is just your fascist agenda poorly disguised as a moralistic argument.

Oh, I'm not justified? But the person who thinks they're entitled to burden me with their frustration, and generally be an annoying little prick is? So I have to support someone for basically being a whinny little bitch because I always have to say whatever the fuck they like? You're literally telling me the only just thing to do is lie and support behavior that is annoying and totally unjustified. You know what no one wants to hear? Someone bitching about Poseidon.

You know.

You could just.

I don't know.

Leave the forums?

Isolate yourself?

Then you wouldn't be burdened by other human beings.

That's all I wanted to say.

Jezereal
10-15-2015, 02:58 PM
You know.

You could just.

I don't know.

Leave the forums?

Isolate yourself?

Then you wouldn't be burdened by other human beings.

That's all I wanted to say.

Ripple, he's right about though policing though, he may have used some over the top ideas, but the premise behind his thought train is correct. I agree with him.

Jezereal
10-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Somone derepped, me on this thread, but it gave me no de-rep points... Whats funny was I was defending loud and annoying, the guy who de-repped me :(

LoudAndAnnoying
10-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Really? Must have de-repped the wrong person, sorry.

CeleritéSarah
10-15-2015, 08:47 PM

To be honest I find your behavior annoying and totally unjustified, but thanks for the examples.

The person above is a perfect example of why you should read and understand the intention of a thread before commenting on it. He feels as if everybody should act in accordance to how he feels. Notice how he bends my post to say "You're literally telling me the only just thing to do is lie and support.." when I never once said anything like this. I said that it would be best not to comment if the thread isn't intended for the purpose you want it to be.

As for Jezereal. I'm not "making" you do anything. I'm just giving you advice to not sound like a troll. You're an idealistic thinker. I was like this too.

In fact I disliked that during my sophomore year of high school everybody started "feeling bad" about someone in our grade who died in a car accident. I felt that only the people closest to him had any rights to be upset about his death. The difference was that I never went up to someone and said "Shut up. You didn't know him at a personal level so stop the act." I understood that it was not my time and place to speak on the topic.

The issue is that online, some people feel like these rules no longer apply. They will comment on a thread just because they normally wouldn't be able to.

LoudAndAnnoying
10-18-2015, 07:06 PM
I love how the op thinks he is taking the moral high ground as he tries to make an example of me.

AcidTheWarlock
10-18-2015, 07:29 PM
-removed image-

Glances
10-18-2015, 07:35 PM
-removed image-

AcidTheWarlock
10-18-2015, 07:40 PM
One does not simply get the truth without going through hell.

Very true, my friend. Adding to sig.

CeleritéSarah
10-18-2015, 10:39 PM
I love how the op thinks he is taking the moral high ground as he tries to make an example of me.

I love how you think I don't know that you're trolling. I mean how else do you have such a low rep?

LoudAndAnnoying
10-19-2015, 08:43 AM
I love how you think I don't know that you're trolling. I mean how else do you have such a low rep?

Yes anyone who doesn't love you and agree with every stupid thing you say, is clearly lying to be perverse, there's no way anyone could not agree with you, you're the greatest person on the planet.

MiyobiKumagawa
10-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Alright I'm warning all of you that if you can't be civil in a serious discussion then do not post at all. Keep your behavior in check. Anymore and this thread will be locked along with an infraction.

SpitefulOne
10-19-2015, 02:08 PM
It's s good post outlining the basics of communication and interpreting the purpose of that communication.

The forums are not about communicating though. The forums are for aggressively lobbying for changes to the game that benefit things the poster likes or conversely lobbying against things they don't like while using only anecdotal evidence/flawed logic/animated gifs to support their argument.

Virtually all replies are done out of fear that another poster is lobbying harder for something they don't like so they have to counter lobby even harder.

CeleritéSarah
10-21-2015, 09:07 AM
The forums should be like the March on Washington protests, not the Ferguson Riots.
It doesn't help that somebody comes in swearing like a sailor and I taking the heat for it.