PDA

View Full Version : Xenophobia and racist in Smite

elDani
08-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Good nights,
I want to express my discomfort for the increasing behavior of the players' community of Smite.

I am Spanish, and am fed up of some players with attitude xenophobia and racist, that begin to flame with insults even before beginning the game.

Please, Hirez, this one is a very important topic. You must solve and begin to ban players with the above mentioned attitude it.

It seems to me to be intolerable that a magnificent game to which I have played more than 1000 hours ends turning into a place in so disagreeably in that to happen my time.

I wait for your opinions and answers. This MUST change. Smite is not a place for racists.

Sorry for my bad english.

LightWolfy
08-11-2015, 06:38 PM
nice bait friend

Fênrîr
08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Good nights,
I want to express my discomfort for the increasing behavior of the players' community of Smite.

I am Spanish, and am fed up of some players with attitude xenophobia and racist, that begin to flame with insults even before beginning the game.

Please, Hirez, this one is a very important topic. You must solve and begin to ban players with the above mentioned attitude it.

It seems to me to be intolerable that a magnificent game to which I have played more than 1000 hours ends turning into a place in so disagreeably in that to happen my time.

I wait for your opinions and answers. This MUST change. Smite is not a place for racists.

I am not in anyway saying being racist is okay but if you are playing on the NA server you should be speaking english.

Racism is not okay and people do get banned for it.

Pokechu212
08-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the internet.

discofleshpot
08-11-2015, 08:18 PM
I find BR and other spanish speaking players to be the most hateful, rude and trolling people in this game. And don't call me racist, I'm PR...

Varaug
08-11-2015, 08:19 PM
i really dont want to be racist or insulting

but there are many spanish speaking people in smite and by that i mean that spanish seems to be their only language
sidenote: not only spanish people but everyone who only speaks a non english language, the majority are spanish tough

smite needs some teamplay and communication at the very least and everyone who is not able to speak english is not able to communicate with his team, only by using the vgs but thats not really the overkill... be careful could be anywhere on the map

the thing is spanish people who can talk english are always speaking english thus creating the false image of spanish people not able to speak english

regmckie
08-11-2015, 09:06 PM
I am not in anyway saying being racist is okay but if you are playing on the NA server you should be speaking english.

Racism is not okay and people do get banned for it.

I'm not trying to sound degrading in any way, shape, or form, but I do think that that particular comment was pretty insensitive and illogical. Using that logic, then people who don't speak English in America shouldn't be in America, which is completely wrong, because America was founded on immigration and we (at least most of us) now accept all of the cultural diversity.

I'm not trying to say that you were trying to be racist, you certainly weren't, but I don't think that comment was an appropriate thing to say.

Luzzio
08-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Maybe we could have our own spanish server, since it's the second (or the third) most spoken language in the world

RippleApple
08-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm not trying to sound degrading in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think that that particular comment was pretty insensitive and illogical. Using that logic, then people who don't speak English in America shouldn't be in America, which is completely wrong, because America was founded on immigration and we (at least most of us) now accept all of the cultural diversity.

I'm not trying to say that you were trying to be racist, you certainly weren't, but I don't think that comment was an appropriate thing to say.

It's about communication. Anyone of any race can learn a language not indigenous to their lands, so it's not about their race. But in a communication-heavy game you want to be able to communicate. It's about their language and how it's not helpful to communicate with someone who speaks a different language. NA is the USA and Canada, both of which have English as an official language, with Canada in particular having French as their second official language. Mexico and such are central america, brazil and such are south america. Those lands have spanish and portugeuse languages as their official languages.

Therefore, if you're in the NA server, you should speak one of the official languages of the NA region. Probably English more than French, though if you're French-Canadian and for some reason only know French then it's understandable why you'd play on the NA servers. But Mexico isn't NA. And Peru isn't NA.

That being said, just report the people and move on. Racism is one of those things that HiRez takes notice of. If you're speaking spanish and they start calling you, for example, a beaner, then you report them and list racism under harassment. Done.

regmckie
08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
It's about communication. Anyone of any race can learn a language not indigenous to their lands, so it's not about their race. But in a communication-heavy game you want to be able to communicate. It's about their language and how it's not helpful to communicate with someone who speaks a different language. NA is the USA and Canada, both of which have English as an official language, with Canada in particular having French as their second official language. Mexico and such are central america, brazil and such are south america. Those lands have spanish and portugeuse languages as their official languages.

Therefore, if you're in the NA server, you should speak one of the official languages of the NA region. Probably English more than French, though if you're French-Canadian and for some reason only know French then it's understandable why you'd play on the NA servers. But Mexico isn't NA. And Peru isn't NA.

That being said, just report the people and move on. Racism is one of those things that HiRez takes notice of. If you're speaking spanish and they start calling you, for example, a beaner, then you report them and list racism under harassment. Done.

And I do definitely understand that; I understand that in an area that is heavily populated with English speaking people, that it just makes sense to learn the language, but not everyone might not have the time/money to learn something as complicated as that. However, that said, we could reverse that statement and say "Why can't we just learn Spanish?", sure it isn't spoken as much as the English language here, but it's still an important language in our culture and society.

Just as a side note, I'm fairly sure that Mexico is in North America. North America is a continent, which comprises of Canada, United States, Mexico, etc. Then again, it could be a part of the North American continent and the Central American region.

Goobis
08-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way... but if you are queuing NA games you need to know how to speak English and I expect you to know how to speak English if you are in my games, so take it with a grain of salt.

Fênrîr
08-11-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm not trying to sound degrading in any way, shape, or form, but I do think that that particular comment was pretty insensitive and illogical. Using that logic, then people who don't speak English in America shouldn't be in America, which is completely wrong, because America was founded on immigration and we (at least most of us) now accept all of the cultural diversity.

You can not compare something that happened in History to a game that heavily revolves around communication. In America you have people whose job is to help and communicate with those people and in Smite you have what? The only real answer here is servers.

You should not expect people to learn Spanish to communicate in a game that is very heavily English oriented.

My comment was not insensitive it is the truth.

People being racist over this is definitely not okay and as I said they do get banned. I have contacted support and gotten a few people banned over this in the past.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 03:48 AM
And I do definitely understand that; I understand that in an area that is heavily populated with English speaking people, that it just makes sense to learn the language, but not everyone might not have the time/money to learn something as complicated as that. However, that said, we could reverse that statement and say "Why can't we just learn Spanish?", sure it isn't spoken as much as the English language here, but it's still an important language in our culture and society.

Just as a side note, I'm fairly sure that Mexico is in North America. North America is a continent, which comprises of Canada, United States, Mexico, etc. Then again, it could be a part of the North American continent and the Central American region.

When you have the top half of a giant mass of land that speaks english and the middle and bottom half of a giant mass of land speaking portugeuse and spanish, then it's pretty safe to say that in a game about communication, the half that speaks english and the half that don't probably shouldn't be in the same games.

It's nothing against spanish-speakers. I'm half cuban, myself. But I wouldn't want to be put in a game with someone who doesn't speak my language because it can easily mean the difference between winning and losing my match. The side that communicates more wins. The side that assumes things loses.

This game isn't about making people feel good about their culture. It's a competitive game about winning and losing. If you want to make people feel good about their culture, there are plenty of other outlets to do so which actually matter. Go find a charity that helps new immigrants financially. That makes a difference in someone's life. Nothing that happens here does.

LokiWildfire
08-12-2015, 05:04 AM
When you have the top half of a giant mass of land that speaks english and the middle and bottom half of a giant mass of land speaking portugeuse and spanish, then it's pretty safe to say that in a game about communication, the half that speaks english and the half that don't probably shouldn't be in the same games.
SO in Europe we shouldnt have a server, because that logic is impossible to apply in here. This argument is illogical. something tells me that this argument is just the product of some spoiled mentality where "we are special and we don't mingle, and whatever arbitrary group luck has made me be born into is far less flawed than everyone else". Hmmm, where have I seen similar way of thinking. Maybe it isn't, maybe it just sounded like it is.

----------------------------

And I find it most funny with you guys (not just the guy above, but the others saying similar stuff) is that A) OP never said he queues for NA. He is Spanish, he very likely queues for EU servers. B) Last I checked, Mexico is still NA (oh wait, maybe in 'Murica they have different maps), the French speaking part of Canada is in NA, the de facto bilingual states of Louisiana (French and English) and New Mexico (Spanish and English) are all in NA (not even counting immigrants here to keep to the "not xenophobic" crew's standards of localness). And in the US you dont even have the excuse of being "official", because it has no official language. It has a majority language, but that is different.

Sorry, if people are not interested in communicating with you, no mater how think the bubble of self entitlement you exist in, they will not bend to your desire for them to communicate with you and not talk with you. It is the same as if they were mute the whole match. Funny enough, the guy who is silent 100% of the time, at most vgs, that guy gets waaaaaaaaaay less crap from the types of you guys, but the guy that is clearly trying to reach at least one or maybe two team members in a way he can effectively play gets all the fucking crap in the world.At wost scenario, his attempts of communication are equal to a mute - which happens, we are used to, we deal with them, move along. At best, one or a few team mates will get what he is saying. How in the fuck is that worse?

You know guys, you claim not to be racist, but your inner defensiveness about your server (which is more logical to assume the OP DOESNT play in, so it doesn't really apply to you at all), and your inconsistent behaviour (several behaviours result in lack of better communication, but the form that gets most of the flack is the only the one that has a CHANCE to actually lead to some degree of communication - just because it involves a language you dont speak or is not used to), these behaviours of yours don't go well with the idea of being unprejudiced. You can tell yourselves you aren't prejudiced, you can tell us, but your reactions and behaviours aren't helping to convince anyone.

Fl3shpound
08-12-2015, 06:23 AM
1.If you queue for online games(which mainly focuses on universal english language or/with in-game systems to communicate) then you should

accept that some people do not know some languages. Fine,if you whisper to the friend during it or just use voice chat like curse,ts3 etc. while

playing with friend,buddy etc.

2."I want to express my discomfort for the increasing behavior of the players' community of Smite. "=In other words,you do not like any community at all(since all video games have same problem).

3.I am Spanish, and am fed up of some players with attitude xenophobia and racist, that begin to flame with insults even before beginning the game. " It depends not only as you only use spanish which confuses and makes teamplay more harder(and even more when you do not use at least VGS etc.)

4.I have looked into your profile(Yeah,i like to live dangerous to see a FULL phoenix truth) and i do not want to say that maybe team thinks that you feed sometimes(but i said it,you see).

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 07:29 AM
SO in Europe we shouldnt have a server, because that logic is impossible to apply in here. This argument is illogical. something tells me that this argument is just the product of some spoiled mentality where "we are special and we don't mingle, and whatever arbitrary group luck has made me be born into is far less flawed than everyone else". Hmmm, where have I seen similar way of thinking. Maybe it isn't, maybe it just sounded like it is.

This game isn't about making people feel good about their culture. It's a competitive game about winning and losing. If you want to make people feel good about their culture, there are plenty of other outlets to do so which actually matter. Go find a charity that helps new immigrants financially. That makes a difference in someone's life. Nothing that happens here does.

Sorry, if people are not interested in communicating with you, no mater how think the bubble of self entitlement you exist in, they will not bend to your desire for them to communicate with you and not talk with you. It is the same as if they were mute the whole match. Funny enough, the guy who is silent 100% of the time, at most vgs, that guy gets waaaaaaaaaay less crap from the types of you guys, but the guy that is clearly trying to reach at least one or maybe two team members in a way he can effectively play gets all the fucking crap in the world.At wost scenario, his attempts of communication are equal to a mute - which happens, we are used to, we deal with them, move along. At best, one or a few team mates will get what he is saying. How in the fuck is that worse?

You know guys, you claim not to be racist, but your inner defensiveness about your server (which is more logical to assume the OP DOESNT play in, so it doesn't really apply to you at all), and your inconsistent behaviour (several behaviours result in lack of better communication, but the form that gets most of the flack is the only the one that has a CHANCE to actually lead to some degree of communication - just because it involves a language you dont speak or is not used to), these behaviours of yours don't go well with the idea of being unprejudiced. You can tell yourselves you aren't prejudiced, you can tell us, but your reactions and behaviours aren't helping to convince anyone.

Don't call me racist, you jerk. Just so you know, I'm reporting you out of principle. Don't like it? Don't be a jerk.

Boatmurdered
08-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.

rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If you're going to rail against "the man", or "the oppressors" try, and use the correct words. People are not Xenophobic, nor are they racist in the way you're describing. They do not fear you because you are foreign, or speak another language.

They are being discriminatory based on the use of language, but that's it. And it's because they want to win, and if you don't speak the language it's harder for them to do so. They have a word for that it's:

Linguistic discrimination (also called linguicism and languagism) is the unfair treatment of an individual based solely on their use of language.

I have to go to work, but if this is still somehow full of misinformation when I get back I'll type something up.

MiyobiKumagawa
08-12-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm moving this to Serious Discussion and I'll be watching over this thread.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Xenophobia is the unreasoned fear of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.

rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

If you're going to rail against "the man", or "the oppressors" try, and use the correct words. People are not Xenophobic, nor are they racist in the way you're describing. They do not fear you because you are foreign, or speak another language.

They are being discriminatory based on the use of language, but that's it. And it's because they want to win, and if you don't speak the language it's harder for them to do so. They have a word for that it's:

Linguistic discrimination (also called linguicism and languagism) is the unfair treatment of an individual based solely on their use of language.

I have to go to work, but if this is still somehow full of misinformation when I get back I'll type something up.

Yeah, but it's justified. Like being discriminatory toward people who go 0/20 every match. They make it nearly impossible to win, and being frustrated at them is justified. So if you'd prefer not to have 0/20 feeders on your side, wouldn't that be a form of discrimination? Because if it is, I gotta tell you, 99.999% of the playerbase is discriminatory.

Fl3shpound
08-12-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm moving this to Serious Discussion and I'll be watching over this thread.

http://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarmwsuR9sDRObyU/giphy.gif

Yeah, but it's justified. Like being discriminatory toward people who go 0/20 every match. They make it nearly impossible to win, and being frustrated at them is justified. So if you'd prefer not to have 0/20 feeders on your side, wouldn't that be a form of discrimination? Because if it is, I gotta tell you, 99.999% of the playerbase is discriminatory.

It is actually funny for me to look on his stats and his statement(with 1st post) to see his not yet bright thinking(which confirms your statement).

Boatmurdered
08-12-2015, 10:47 AM
I didn't say it wasn't. I just said that if we're going to be talking about it then we need to go with the correct terms.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Anglospeak.svg/800px-Anglospeak.svg.png

This is a map of English speaking countries, or rather where English is the de facto language. The dark blue is where English is the main spoken language, or recognized as the de facto one. Light blue is for English based creoles as the main language.

Now let's go even further than that:

Countries where English is a de jure official language
Country / Primary language?
Antigua and Barbuda /Yes
Bahamas /Yes
Barbados /Yes
Belize /Yes
Botswana/ No
Burundi /No
Cameroon /No
Canada /Yes (ex. Quebec)
Cook Islands/ Yes
Dominica /Yes
Eritrea /No
Federated States of Micronesia /No
Fiji /No
Gambia / No
Ghana /Maybe (currently under debate)
Grenada /Yes
Guyana /Yes
India /No (but official and educational)
Ireland[ / Yes
Jamaica/ Yes
Kenya/Yes
Kiribati/No
Lesotho/ Yes
Liberia/ No
Malawi/No
Malta/No
Marshall Islands/No
Mauritius/No
Namibia/Yes
Nauru/No
Nigeria/Yes
Niue14/No
Pakistan/No (but Official and Educational)
Palau/No
Papua New Guinea/No
Philippines/No
Rwanda/ No
Saint Kitts and Nevis/Yes
Saint Lucia/No
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines/Yes
Samoa/No
Seychelles/No
Sierra Leone/No
Singapore/Yes
Solomon Islands/No
Somaliland15 / No
South Africa/Yes
South Sudan/ No
Sudan/No
Swaziland/No
Tanzania/No
Tonga/No
Trinidad and Tobago/Yes
Tuvalu/No
Uganda/Yes
Vanuatu/No
Zambia/No
Zimbabwe/Yes

Countries where English is a de facto official language
Country /Primary language?
Australia /Yes
New Zealand/Yes
United Kingdom /Yes
United States North America /Yes

Countries where English is a de facto official, but not primary language
Country
Bangladesh
Brunei
Israel
Malaysia
Sri Lanka

Non-sovereign entities where English is a de jure official language
Akrotiri and Dhekelia
American Samoa
Anguilla
Bermuda9
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Christmas Island12
Curaçao
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Guam4
Hong Kong2
Isle of Man8
Jersey6
Norfolk Island
Northern Mariana Islands7
Pitcairn Islands13
Puerto Rico3
Sint Maarten
Turks and Caicos Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands5

Non-sovereign entities where English is a de facto official language
British Indian Ocean Territory
Guernsey10
Montserrat
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

Non-sovereign entities where English is a de facto official, but not primary, language
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Tokelau

If I went to Mexico, and somehow got a job, and spoke 0 Spanish you'd probably be rightly upset at me for making your job much harder than it needed to be especially if you had to work with me. The same principle applies to Smite. If you can not speak English, or at least understand enough to use the VGS system then you shouldn't be on US servers as you're making our lives harder having to work with you when we need you to do a job to win a game.

Smite launched servers just for you guys down there so that everyone would be able to communicate with each other.

Again if you can speak English, and want to play with us then have at it, but if you can't communicate then what are you really doing other than making everyone else's game more miserable? I'm being sincere here what do you gain from it, and why do you want to play on our servers when you have your own if you can't even speak the language?

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 10:57 AM
This is why you're amazing, boatmurdered. That, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-uadMmuSiE

Mmmm, tasty.

MiyobiKumagawa
08-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Boatmurdered brings up a solid argument on the matter.

LokiWildfire
08-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Don't call me racist, you jerk. Just so you know, I'm reporting you out of principle. Don't like it? Don't be a jerk.

Did I call you a racist? No. I said that people are being biased, or maybe prejudiced. If you want to equate being prejudiced with racism, be my guest. Or if the racism boots actually fitted your feet, then that is on you, not on me. And yes, please, I am a jerk for disagreeing with you and calling you on what I perceive as inconsistent and hypocritical behaviour. Great logic, disagrees with your behavoiur = being a jerk. I guess I stroke a nerve, go figure. Anyway, that is sorta funny, I almost laughed. Except it is sad.

And please, if you gonna quote people to "contest" what I said, quote things that actually address my points, not just general points about ideas you happen to like that at most addresses strawmen of what I said (u.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Did I call you a racist? No. I said that people are being biased, or maybe prejudiced. If you want to equate being prejudiced with racism, be my guest. Or if the racism boots actually fitted your feet, then that is on you, not on me. And yes, please, I am a jerk for disagreeing with you and calling you on what I perceive as inconsistent and hypocritical behaviour. Great logic, disagrees with your behavoiur = being a jerk. I guess I stroke a nerve, go figure. Anyway, that is sorta funny, I almost laughed. Except it is sad.

And please, if you gonna quote people to "contest" what I said, quote things that actually address my points, not just general points about ideas you happen to like that at most addresses strawmen of what I said (u.

Please stop posting. You're raising my blood pressure and that's the entire point of you continuing to post here. If you don't have anything else to say, just move along.

LokiWildfire
08-12-2015, 02:12 PM

rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.

You're technically correct, but good luck getting people to get and use the right terminology.

LokiWildfire
08-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Please stop posting. You're raising my blood pressure and that's the entire point of you continuing to post here. If you don't have anything else to say, just move along. You know, playing the stereotypical behaviour of though redneck is not helping your case. This is a public forum, stop reading if big though guy's poor pressure raises with the mere notion that people disagrees with him.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
You know, playing the stereotypical behaviour of though redneck is not helping your case. This is a public forum, stop reading if big though guy's poor pressure raises with the mere notion that people disagrees with him.

This comment is so stupid I don't know what to say.

So I'm not going to say anything.

Fênrîr
08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
We can all come to an agreement that being racist is bad and should be punishable by a lightning bolt to the face from Zeus. (banned)

I personally have never had a game where a non english speaker single handily lost us the game but it is insanely frustrating to play with those people in a game where communication is a top priority. If you are going to BM someone don't bring stuff like death, race and sexual orientation into it.

Actually don't BM people at all problem solved.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
We can all come to an agreement that being racist is bad and should be punishable by a lightning bolt to the face from Zeus. (banned)

I personally have never had a game where a non english speaker single handily lost us the game but it is insanely frustrating to play with those people in a game where communication is a top priority. If you are going to BM someone don't bring stuff like death, race and sexual orientation into it.

qft /10chars

LokiWildfire
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM

But if it was an English speaker who cost some people the match single handedly, he would get less flack from said people. It would be the same exact same result, for the same primary reason - he/she is a bad player and possible can't even respond to simple vgs - but these people would react far less emotionally to it, and would hardly suggest that they move to their own server of bad players. That is, by definition, bias, whether people want to admit it to themselves or not, this is bias. Strong, weak, depends case by case. but that does not make it non existent.

RippleApple
08-12-2015, 05:25 PM
But if it was an English speaker who cost some people the match single handedly, he would get less flack from said people.

I'd tell them "It's okay man"

And then the english speaker will say "Sorry"

And the spanish speaker will say something about my mother's vagina because they think I'm complaining about them.

Fênrîr
08-12-2015, 05:35 PM
But if it was an English speaker who cost some people the match single handedly, he would get less flack from said people. It would be the same exact same result, for the same primary reason - he/she is a bad player and possible can't even respond to simple vgs - but these people would react far less emotionally to it, and would hardly suggest that they move to their own server of bad players. That is, by definition, bias, whether people want to admit it to themselves or not, this is bias. Strong, weak, depends case by case. but that does not make it non existent.

I have played on the spanish servers (other games like dota 2 and LoL) before and your statement is 100% false. They are just as bad as the english players are. I do know enough spanish to understand if people are BM'ing or not.

regmckie
08-12-2015, 09:23 PM

It's nothing against spanish-speakers. I'm half cuban, myself. But I wouldn't want to be put in a game with someone who doesn't speak my language because it can easily mean the difference between winning and losing my match. The side that communicates more wins. The side that assumes things loses.

I, again, understand what you're saying; however, I just think it's irrational and illogical to think that everyone in the NA or even EU servers needs to speak a certain language. Yes, this is obviously a very competitive game, which requires a lot of communication; however, requesting that everyone speak the same language that you do for your self benefit doesn't seem right. It may not be what you're trying to say, but that is how I am interpreting it.

If, in a hypothetical situation, were in a match where all of the other players spoke Spanish (you being the only one who doesn't) on the EU servers, are you going to expect them to speak in English? No. I have encountered numerous matches just like those, sometimes we win, and sometimes we don't. It's a matter of how that particular person knows how to play a certain god and what they know about other gods.

RippleApple
08-13-2015, 01:24 AM
I, again, understand what you're saying; however, I just think it's irrational and illogical to think that everyone in the NA or even EU servers needs to speak a certain language. Yes, this is obviously a very competitive game, which requires a lot of communication; however, requesting that everyone speak the same language that you do for your self benefit doesn't seem right. It may not be what you're trying to say, but that is how I am interpreting it.

If, in a hypothetical situation, were in a match where all of the other players spoke Spanish (you being the only one who doesn't) on the EU servers, are you going to expect them to speak in English? No. I have encountered numerous matches just like those, sometimes we win, and sometimes we don't. It's a matter of how that particular person knows how to play a certain god and what they know about other gods.

EU is like fishing in a pond with many different kinds of fish. It's unrealistic to think you're going to get the same fish every time.

NA is like fishing in a pond with 90% of the fish being the same kind of fish, and the other 10% being a kind of fish you can't eat.

Naturally you want fish you can eat. It's not wrong to want fish that you can eat. You're hungry. You want food. In EU, it's unrealistic to demand you get the same edible fish over and over. In NA, it's unrealistic to demand you get the inedible fish over and over.

There's that fundamental problem with your logic that isn't going to go away no matter how much postulating and hypothesizing you do.

Being able to say "Enemy missing left" is SO fundamental to the very basics in this game that it's completely unrealistic to say that someone who doesn't know what that means is going to be able to play as well as someone of similar skill who does know what that means. One is more likely to call missing. That's just factual.

It's less about their language and more about communication. If they speak spanish but use the VGS as well as anyone else, why should I care what their native language is? I want to win. I don't care how. If they know VGS that's as good as knowing english insofar as communication is concerned. And communication raises the chances of success. And again, no matter how much postulating and hypothesizing you do, this is a fundamental truth.

Please stop trying to overcome truth with fancy words. It's insulting to the very concept of debate.

RippleApple
08-13-2015, 01:31 AM
I have played on the spanish servers (other games like dota 2 and LoL) before and your statement is 100% false. They are just as bad as the english players are. I do know enough spanish to understand if people are BM'ing or not.

I've met some amazingly fun spanish players that have made a big difference in how I see Smite, and I understood enough of what they were saying to know that they were having a really good time, and they were being really friendly the entire time.

Your language doesn't determine your personality or how well you handle a god, just whether you're able to communicate. And most of the time they're bad at communication. They stick in their lane, never call missing and tend to feed. Because they don't know how to ask for help with the vgs, and can't type it out because they don't know the word. I imagine it's the same for an english player in a spanish-speaking server.

EmmaMye
08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Good nights,

I mainly noticed and word racism here and since I'm in no possession of male genitals, I think I'll share some rather nasty experiences I've gotten for being a female, which is a race, so I guess it sort of goes under this topic. I sometimes encounter people, now I don't know if they're males or females IRL, that do gender discrimination and it is just annoying and unacceptable. Yes, I do report them and have no idea if anything is done to those people (I don't really like stalking my offenders.) There's a discussion on the forum about feminism and just to clarify, it's not my rights or anything being trampled, it's just uncomfortable getting in to a league match and getting told off for being top elo.

On another note, Spanish players have a reputation of flaming a shart ton, espeically on EU servers and rage quitting and/or generally being bad players. I'm not generalizing here, just stating the fact that it's how the majority of the players perceive Spanish players. But you can be one of those good people that ups their reputation and are nice. And, no offense, ranting about it here won't make the players who needs to be less judgmental stop being it. Some things, you just have to live with, like the fact that people think all Chinese people eat dogs, and I have to live with my female discrimination.

A simple advice is not to give up your nationality when entering new games, it's not like EU uses Curse anyway. Also, there's a mute button. And if your friends have a problem with your nationality then they're not friends.

Maybe we could have our own spanish server, since it's the second (or the third) most spoken language in the world

Spanish is probably the 3rd most spoken language worldwide, but not everybody understands it e.g. in Denmark we learn German as our third language. Well, some schools offer French too, but that's not a story for now. If you want to communicate: Learn English, it's the most widespread language in the world and almost every player understands it to some extend or form. Plus, America is a superpower, Spain is not, yet another good reason to learn English.

IrishPotato
08-13-2015, 10:17 AM
I think I'll share some rather nasty experiences I've gotten for being a female, which is a race,

No, it isn't. Male/Female discussion like that is for a sexism argument.

Plus, America is a superpower, Spain is not, yet another good reason to learn English.

It has nothing to do with Spain itself. It's Spanish speaking players in the NA region.

ImAeternalis
08-13-2015, 03:33 PM
I am not racist. I have very good friends who are Hispanic, Black, and Asian.

However, what triggers my bullshit meter is that spanish speaking players in smite are the most annoying, rude, and horrible people I've ever met. I have not met a single spanish speaker in smite that doesn't feed, and they always complain about their teams and never see the fact that they're the ones going 1-10.

They swear at you in Spanish (Drinking game: Take a shot every time someone calls you 'mierda' in smite. I'd be more drunk than Bacchus) and never know how to play.

Basically, the only time I'm racist is when I'm playing this game.

There is no excuse for not seperating languages. I've never once been matched with a Spanish speaker in any other game.

I think I'll share some rather nasty experiences I've gotten for being a female, which is a race,

Please tell me that's not serious.

This is not the 1800s. Females are not any lower than males.

Racism has nothing to do with the sexes.

Goobis
08-13-2015, 05:24 PM
If the Spanish community of this game ever improves maybe I will change my views on them and their actions, however until then, I keep my thoughts and views the same on these kids and pathetic Hispanic trolls that occasionally side-winder into my games.

LokiWildfire
08-14-2015, 08:20 AM

My statement is not false. Might be false regarding you as an individual, and that is why i didn't even address you individually (or anyone), because you're not in the "said people"'s group (defined by behaviour, thus if the behaviour is not present then you're not in the group) which I was talking about. I didnt even fully disagree with your point (I used it to introduce and expose another issue, but I didnt actually comment on your post per se).

EmmaMye
08-14-2015, 09:21 AM
No, it isn't. Male/Female discussion like that is for a sexism argument.

I did say "I think". I'm not from an English speaking country, I apologize if it was offensive.

It has nothing to do with Spain itself. It's Spanish speaking players in the NA region.

I said: "Besides it can be a good idea to learn English yadda yadda."

Please tell me that's not serious.

This is not the 1800s. Females are not any lower than males.

Racism has nothing to do with the sexes.

I already said it has nothing to do with my rights and I'm not crying about it. I think you misunderstood me.

I repeat: I did say "I think". I'm not from an English speaking country, I apologize if it was offensive.

IrishPotato
08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
I said: "Besides it can be a good idea to learn English yadda yadda."

I already said it has nothing to do with my rights and I'm not crying about it. I think you misunderstood me.

I repeat: I did say "I think". I'm not from an English speaking country, I apologize if it was offensive.

You said you think you will share some experiences...But "which is a race" is a certainty.....

MiyobiKumagawa
08-14-2015, 11:23 AM
All right this thread is a mess especially against the Hispanic community again. My lineage is part Hispanic and everyone deserves respect regardless in this game. I'm locking this thread under nationalism. If we can't come up with a more respectful and constructive thread then it's banned to be speaking about nationalities/races...EVER!