06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I think these videos will speak for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH7g53NX1Rc&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4JCFONptk&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acgxPlB7Jrc&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=19

Especially this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrbgdf7UFE&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=35

Praise Jim Sterling!

What do you guys think the issues are in the current AAA gaming industry?

Agent2090
06-10-2015, 01:07 PM
This right here is what I believe is one of the main issues of the gaming industry today:

(Click for larger image)
http://i.imgur.com/7TepC2Y.jpg (http://imgur.com/7TepC2Y)

Seriously, when did it become okay to sell an incomplete game?

BhastetKurza
06-10-2015, 01:09 PM
This right here is what I believe is one of the main issues of the gaming industry today:

(Click for larger image)
http://i.imgur.com/7TepC2Y.jpg (http://imgur.com/7TepC2Y)

Seriously, when did it become okay to sell an incomplete game?

The moment sheep were okay with buying whatever CoD game came out.

I mean look at Asura's Wraith. If you want the real ending you have to pay an additional 20 dollars. That literally means that this game is making you pay 80 dollars just to watch cutscenes.

The nerve...

Agent2090
06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
The moment sheep were okay with buying whatever CoD game came out.

I mean look at Asura's Wraith. If you want the real ending you have to pay an additional 20 dollars. That literally means that this game is making you pay 80 dollars just to watch cutscenes.

The nerve...

Then there's fighting games (looking at you Capcom...) that have characters already on the disc you buy, but are locked behind a pay wall. You aren't even buying DLC in this case, you are buying more of the game that you already purchased.

BhastetKurza
06-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Then there's fighting games (looking at you Capcom...) that have characters already on the disc you buy, but are locked behind a pay wall. You aren't even buying DLC in this case, you are buying more of the game that you already purchased.

Video gaming has turned into a business. Only indie devs have the heart that the big boys did back in the day.

I cannot even count how many damn times I've seen Nintendo release a "New" super mario bros...it's so pathetic.

Agent2090
06-10-2015, 01:47 PM
I cannot even count how many damn times I've seen Nintendo release a "New" super mario bros...it's so pathetic.

I was all excited for the new Super Smash Bros. Never got a chance to play one since the original on the Nintendo 64. Finally got around to playing it and I could shake the "..I've done this before..." feeling.

Franchises aren't inherently bad. It's when companies stick to the same exact formula over and over that things start to become stale. Super Mario Bros being one.

I can think of a few great series that I love every time a new one comes out like Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy. The thing that makes them great is that they're trying new things, telling new stories, changing things up in their games that makes them feel fresh again.

Super Mario Bros doesn't do that. They pander too much to the nostalgia factor of "remember doing this when you were a kid? Now do it again with better graphics!"

RippleApple
06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
I gotta tell you the gamecube/ps2/xbox era was the golden age of gaming, in my opinion. It was past the point that the games kind of looked like crap but before the point that the internet created a new age of dlc and nintendo went full moron with gimmick consoles.

I still maintain that Super Mario Sunshine is one of the greatest Mario platformers of all time no matter who you ask, Wind Waker is the best Zelda game insofar as gameplay is concerned, Double Dash is by far the best Mario racing game, Monster Hunter is one of the most influential series in Japan of all time (it debuted on the ps2), and .hack//GU is the best action-rpg series of all time.

Even if you hate Microsoft and halo, you also have to admit Halo revolutionized its entire genre past the Doom and Goldeneye styles of gameplay.

AllknowingWolf
06-10-2015, 04:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxR9ek176LQ

I think stuff like this sums it up pretty well. And yes Jim sterling is also very accurate.

MiyobiKumagawa
06-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Even with refining gameplay like Super Marios, sometimes it's bad to make changes to too much of the gameplay like Sonic 06 and...Sonic Boom.

RippleApple
06-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Even with refining gameplay like Super Marios, sometimes it's bad to make changes to too much of the gameplay like Sonic 06 and...Sonic Boom.

Well we all know Sonic is a very bad thing that sonic team should feel ashamed of since sonic advance 2.

ImAeternalis
06-10-2015, 06:18 PM
sonic adventure 2 is ace

RippleApple
06-10-2015, 06:39 PM
sonic adventure 2 is ace

Yep and it came out before sonic advance 2.

KFire
06-10-2015, 09:14 PM
No smash bros like n64 smash bros. right bros?

I dont have any thoughtful comment now

Pokechu212
06-10-2015, 09:53 PM
I perfectly understand why F2P games would have exclusive content, as long as it's done well. However, why should I have to pay for features on a game that I already paid 40 bucks for? It's just plain stupid. Why can't we go back to 2000 when games were sold as games (Even though I was born in 2001, Crash bandicoot and Spyro will always be my childhoods.)

MiyobiKumagawa
06-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Though when it comes to F2P nothing is more sinful than the mobile game industry. Hell, Square Enix is dead guilty of this with their Final Fantasy something that was mobile. They are coming out with another mobile game called, "Final Fantasy Mobius". Oh god just stop it!

Fênrîr
06-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Both the producer and the consumer are to blame for how things have become.

If companies weren't making money off of DLC etc.. it wouldn't be a thing. problem is people bought into it en mass and now it's considered the norm.

If you do not like something a company is doing then do not support it.

Grimfortress
06-15-2015, 03:13 AM
If companies weren't making money off of DLC etc.. it wouldn't be a thing. problem is people bought into it en mass and now it's considered the norm.
If you do not like something a company is doing then do not support it.

And that is the major truth. When companies realized they could release half a game for a console or PC, and players were desperate enough to just throw money to get the rest, that became the business model.

Laylines
06-20-2015, 03:17 AM
DLC's are a perfectly fine business model as long as the base game is playable.
There's people playing a game for 1000+ hours, doing every mission and having every outfit or whatever.
And there's people playing 20h tops and be done with it. Why should the latter be forced to buy a mission he never plays?
Given the huge differences between gamers having everyone pay only for the content he actually uses is the fairest way. Companies are ofc doing it because it generates more revenue but as long as there's no fradulent behaviour involved and you know what you get, that's nothing bad. You could complain that DLCs are comparatively higher priced but this isn't surprising, as only a fraction of the game owners will also get the DLC and thus they have to ask a higher price per manhour.

Ofc there's rotten eggs there, but eh...
The problem in the end are all the people who care not a bit about creating a quality product, and all about profit. And that 99% of people fall for clever/dishonest marketing. Welcome to capitalism, bitches.

Myrkulyte
06-20-2015, 06:39 AM
When everything falls, piratebay is your bae.

Now, I love buying games. And I promised miself that with my first salary I will buy a premium account in Dragonfable, and a premium account in Mechquest. Those 2 browser games deserve my 40$(20$ each) they are just that good. They are ofc playable without premium account as a free player get like 65% acces to the game, but the 35% is so cool. And, the big AND they are for a lifetime. LIFETIME.

I'm all pro giving money to good games(when I'll get a salary that is), but I'm against paywalls in singleplayer games. Mafia 2 for example and I said everything.

Fênrîr
06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
DLC's are a perfectly fine business model as long as the base game is playable.
There's people playing a game for 1000+ hours, doing every mission and having every outfit or whatever.
And there's people playing 20h tops and be done with it. Why should the latter be forced to buy a mission he never plays?
Given the huge differences between gamers having everyone pay only for the content he actually uses is the fairest way. Companies are ofc doing it because it generates more revenue but as long as there's no fradulent behaviour involved and you know what you get, that's nothing bad. You could complain that DLCs are comparatively higher priced but this isn't surprising, as only a fraction of the game owners will also get the DLC and thus they have to ask a higher price per manhour.

Ofc there's rotten eggs there, but eh...
The problem in the end are all the people who care not a bit about creating a quality product, and all about profit. And that 99% of people fall for clever/dishonest marketing. Welcome to capitalism, bitches.

Problem is a lot of the games today come out incomplete or you have to buy DLC to complete a specific storyline. Extra missions and outfits is something completely different and doesn't really tie to the main game as much.

Cyrillic
06-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Problem is a lot of the games today come out incomplete or you have to buy DLC to complete a specific storyline. Extra missions and outfits is something completely different and doesn't really tie to the main game as much.

Agreed. DLC such as those in Super Smash 4 (I know it's still annoying but it's a good example) is perfectly fine by me. Don't want to use your money on the game? Don't buy it. Really, things like those are fine. It's an extension that is the consumers choice.