PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a better forum

Aethaste
03-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Hello whoever might read this,

So after looking at the forum for a bit, I do have a few things that I would like to suggest / put to attention.
In every game that I play I always enjoy being active on the forum, because it gives a nice in-depth view of other people their perspective and you can always find neat stuff there. But let's continue to what I would like to see added;

1. The header "SMITE" Logo should be clickable to lead back to the main page of the forum. I know that there's a "Forum" button like 100 pixels away from it, but I am quite sure it wouldn't hurt to make that clickable and it would save people some time. (Or implement a more visible forum button, because this one blends in too much with the top bar which doesn't take much of the attention.)

2. The site is responsive, yay, but though this one's a bit annoying:
http://250kb.de/u/140324/p/AQIHKcW5fje0.PNG
As you can see, the "Welcome Aethaste" is put over the "Support" and "Store" button. (This is at +- 960px width)

3. I would love to have some sort of "Team" tab where I can see who are the moderators of the forum and who is in charge, etc. Also, a "General" section or something containing both the forum rules and game rules would be nice, as for me the forum would be the first place I would go look for the game rules. (And with that comes the forum rules, of course)

4. Overall, I do think the forum matches the design of the site, that's pretty nice, but it does not fit as a design for a forum. it generally gives me the feeling it's too messy and hard on the eye. I hope there could be a design that would fit both the game style and is more pleasing to the eye.

5. I am going to presume that this is already a work in progress, but I would like to be able to pick my own avatar, also an "Edit avatar" when browsing your own profile would be a nice simple addition.

6. Something that shows me if there are new posts in the section or not (different image than the smite logo if there are new posts or something).

That's all for now, if there's more that I find to be improved as suggestions, I'll be sure to post it in this topic. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you do/do not agree, feel free to let me know ^^

baddwolf
03-24-2014, 05:10 AM
6. I'd like that also. Just infuse the lightning bolt with some energy and make it glow if someone posts something. :D

Aethaste
03-24-2014, 05:32 AM
What I have just noticed is that this is already implemented as the smite logos have 2 states (you can hover over it and it it says "Double click to mark its content as read" (something along those lines)) and if you double click it you can't click it again. Which means that it just needs a new image and no actual coding there, so I presume this was already a work in progress :3

baddwolf
03-24-2014, 06:22 AM
What I have just noticed is that this is already implemented as the smite logos have 2 states (you can hover over it and it it says "Double click to mark its content as read" (something along those lines)) and if you double click it you can't click it again. Which means that it just needs a new image and no actual coding there, so I presume this was already a work in progress :3

Well that's good, makes sense since it's still in development. Oops.

Kenshiku
03-27-2014, 04:32 AM
Add in that if you change your name that you should have the option to keep your name the same on the forums.

HeavensWolf
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
A spoiler option for the chat as I suggested earlyer: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?249-quot-Spoiler-quot-option

Firellius
03-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Significantly better text formatting. Blank lines added in to improve readability of long posts are cut out when posted. I can understand that a series of three or more blank lines would be removed, but why can't we put in even one?

Also, the forum seems to pseudo-logout on me from time to time, where when moving from one section or thread to the next, it will suddenly state that I am no longer logged in, but clicking on login will instantaneously log me in without asking for any identification. This should get fixed.