PDA

View Full Version : Racial Discrimination/Race Issue (Read CoC Before Posting)

MiyobiKumagawa
04-04-2015, 07:23 PM
I will be treading the line with this thread and with good reason as seeing some racial discrimination/prejudice lurking around the community and in real life.

Before posting and I do mean before posting read these fine lines I've put up from the Forum's Code of Conduct of the thread:

Racial / Ethnic
This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites or content containing such language or images which:

Promote racial/ethnic hatred
Are recognized as racial/ethnic slurs
Allude to a symbol of racial/ethnic hatred

National
This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites or content containing such language or images which:

Promote national hatred
Are recognized as national slurs
Allude to symbols of national hatred

On the start of the matter and I would love to see some interesting viewpoints from this community. I also hope to see some mature and descriptive responses because any and I mean ANY breaking of the CoC and promoting national/racial hatred in this thread I will not hesitate to issue severe infractions at your disclosure.

Now racism is a term regarding an individual/group that believes his/her/their race is/are better than other(s) which its roots can be traced to early ages since the time of the Romans to the rise of Egypt and early onward.

What causes such behavior? Learning and influence of others can cause erratic behavior, but it's also the choice to support such behaviors is a big factor.

Why bring this up now? Frankly I've gotten sick of friends, family, and even members of this community being racially and nationally attacked because of certain conditions. It's rude and disrespectful towards a group of people that stand the same ground as the attackers.

Examples? Myself during middle school after the events of 9/11. Why? Because I apparantly resembled residents of the Middle East Society.

I have friends that were Muslim in faith attacked and labeled as terrorists because a group of radicals decided to hijack the culture of Allah/God and commit acts of disgusting violence.

More examples? Just recently in this community itself has shockingly have had threads discriminating towards an ethnic group of players because the minority of said group decided to troll and ruin games for others. Why? Because it's the Internet and because we have anonymity, we can do such which frankly is ignorant and shameful.

Ever since I became an adult and a volunteer moderator I've seen things that people do and I've read what people type. It's disgusting to how and why people in general are allowed to get away with this.

People in this day and age have not seemed to mature and it gets worse with every generation and our habit of grouping people together has worsened. On par I've been severly disappointed on how things are and hoped people would have learned by more than thousands of years of experience sadly we are just to slow to grow to fit a perfect world in our ideals.

RippleApple
04-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Let me talk a bit about different groups of people and where I believe stereotypes come from. Since you brought up the middle east, I'll start with that.

The middle east is a chaotic place, in part due to the west's actions.

Their world isn't as technologically advanced as ours. So, what did we do? Spread our technology there, spread our ideals there, and effectively spread our culture there. Their world is and has been for a long time a place where religion is dominant, specifically Islam. So much so that its ideals are ingrained into their politics to a degree the west may be uncomfortable with, especially the USA, which was built on predominantly christian historical figures and relatively libertarian ideals.

Because their religion has such a strong presence and western culture and philosophy is largely ignorant of Muslim sensibilities, that lead to a divide between those who are pacifistic in nature and thus accept the libertarian, agnostic and largely pacifistic philosophy of western countries and those who take their religion very seriously and don't accept that way of looking at things.

Those people are at the center of the middle-east's stage. Those who view western philosophy as good for their nation and those who view it as a decadence which gives them the right to defend their faith and wage war. The USA having a huge hand in middle-eastern politics also helped facilitate this divide.

I don't think it's accurate to disavow what those who choose violent means do as simply fringe when they hold so much power in politics in the middle east and have such numbers on their side. The USA, for example, doesn't have a rampaging pack of confederates murdering people for being different and trying to start a war and claim land. The KKK isn't a big political figure any more, after all. The most we have are a bunch of grumbling conspiracy theorists who think Obama and George Bush are the same person and also cthulu at the same time somehow.

I don't think it's accurate to say the USA has nothing to do with those problems. We helped create those problems, as did the rest of the western world. But the Muslim world had that festering, rotting wound in their faith for a long time and never chose to do anything about it. It's equally their responsibility.

I don't think it's necessarily Islamophobic to be wary of the Muslim faith or those in the Middle East in general because of the issues of this century. Rather, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. What's bad is the way a person might direct their energy. Do they try and help others understand these things so we can deal with the threat together? Do they try to go off and join the Islamic State because they don't fully understand the whole picture? Do they discriminate against Muslims and try to do harm to them even though they personally have nothing to do with those kinds of politics? It's all about a choice as to how you direct your energy. And I don't think denying that those violent people are Muslims actually solves the problem.

If you live in America or the Middle East, you created the problem, and you need to help deal with it. Even a place like Canada has had a small hand in Middle Eastern politics. Instead of fighting, we need to deal with the problem before it becomes so big and out of control that we can't deal with it any more.

Disquieted1
04-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Racism exists because of three things.

a) Stereotyping/Generalizations (and subsequently, hypocrisy)
b) Learned behavior
c) Superiority/Supremacy complexes

a) This is the largest factor in racism. People take something that applies to individuals and small groups, and apply that to everybody. The example that comes to mind is Islam and terrorism. After the September 11 attacks, people saw Muslims differently, and in a bad way. They made Muslims hostile to other people (even though the non-Muslims are the hostile ones themselves). They labeled all Muslims to be terrorists. Terrorists is now a term used only for Muslims that attack innocent civilians (no one called the Germanwings crash an act of terrorism -- granted, people drew out the race card). And now, it's embedded in the youth that "all Muslims are terrorists, and all terrorists are Muslims" (I do not agree with this).

b) Learned behavior... no one is born racist. Racism is something that has to be learned from someone else, whether it be from parents, or peers, or teachers. That's really all I have to say about this.

c) Superiority/Supremacy complexes. Place two orangutans in a room with one piece of fruit, and they'll share. Place two humans in a room and they'll make up reasons to kill one another, regardless of if there's 1 Euro sitting nearby or not. One of those reasons is skin color, or race. Humans, with their frail egos and brittle personalities, must, for some reason, be better than the other person. Why? No idea. Human nature, likely.

We all are humans. We all rock 23 pairs of chromosomes, We all are the same living beings, in the same environment, under the same sky.

RippleApple
04-05-2015, 05:22 AM
That's an extremely pessimistic view of human beings. As a note, I always cringe when someone on the internet drops the term "human nature". Myself included. Any time I write it down I think "What the hell do you know about human nature?"

MiyobiKumagawa
04-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Human nature isn't a factor, it's how we were bred, grown, influenced, and how we perceive the world through the eyes. Basically experience is what I'm trying to say.

Ripple brought a lot of fine points of antagonistic views on the Middle East that it's not the fault of one set group of people, but a little of everyone else which adds to the experience factor.

Do we blame ourselves? No, because in the mental state of things we hate being wrong so the replies originally become, "Screw you" or "Yeah, but..." It peeves me off that some people are like that and I feel they need to shove off their corrupt moral values. Except that everyone has a different set of morality and there is no set guideline except no murder, no rape, no stealing, etc.

No racial discrimination didn't come into effect until around the time of JFK for the U.S. and some other places even longer or some just adopted it faster.

Aurasai
04-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Going to quote my comment from the Bullying thread, as I think it fully applies here also:

The fault is only ourselves and our choice of how we look at the world. We have sources of foreign ideas and morals everywhere around us, just pushing out what we need to like, what we need to hate, what is good and what is bad in order to fit into this huge, complex beast called society. It's always easier to copy the ideals of others then forming our own. We have our media vomiting hatred all over us. Hatred towards russians, hatred towards muslims, hatred towards poor people, hatred towards rich people, hatred towards other races... We seek security, trying to avoid discomfort and as such we avoid our real enemies and build fake ones in their place. We prey on those we see "beneath" us, as that is how we can more easily fill our primal addiction for success. We have build a giant fucking monument of prejudice that overshadows our own rational thinking.

Disquieted1
04-05-2015, 08:16 AM
That's an extremely pessimistic view of human beings.

What did you expect?

Aurasai
04-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I also wish to add something else. I would be a hypocrite if I say that my previous comment does not apply to some extend to myself, and to many other people who are valiant defenders of social justice. While some of my best friends are Turkish muslims (I am personally an atheist, influenced by pagan beliefs and ideals), through meeting people at protests and rock bars I've talked with some ultraists (some you'd call neo-nazis and skinheads) even becoming friends with some. As such, I have seen both points of view on this subject. Every problem has multiple points of views and you should never focus on one, ignoring the other.

Personally, I think all people should be born equal, regardless of gender, nationality or race. However, I do not think that people remain equal, based on their education (and by that I also include self education), self improvement and their own willingness to cooperate with people who are different from them. As much as we can wish that conditions for education and wellfare were equal for everyone, this is simply not the case.

Some time ago I used to be an anarchist (even if I still keep the end goal of that ideology). I believed that the corrupt authoritarian power that governments had, heavily outweights their benefit. I believed that people had the intelligence to simply work out their differences, based on their own moral code. But damn, was I wrong...
I highly recommend watching the 45 min documentary "Syrian diary" by Rossia 24 (the footage can be heavy to stomach for many people, so don't ask me for links. It is violent so watch at your own risk). It shows how harmful stupidity and ignorance can be, and it shows the origin of what we now call ISIS/ISIL.

Now before going totally out of topic, the point I wished to make here is that racism (and other -isms) comes from generalization of a large groups of people over the characteristics of a few individuals. People should not be measured as a nationality/race. It is the duty for both our governments and ourselves to provide an equal chance in life for happiness for everyone, but it is up to them for what kind of a person they become.

DynamicMoves
04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
There is a difference between groups of people, this much is clear.
Thus there are behaviors that, aren't exclusive, but more probable if one belongs to certain group of people. Stereotypes don't just appear out of thin air.

Looking from the outside, what does one decide to do with this information?

AllknowingWolf
04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
I wrote a very long post about this but I deleted it not sure, how politically incorrect it may of been but here's some videos on the most popular topics of 'racism'

White and Black Violence/Cops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTUcS-yQtQ

Muslims and 'all being judged as terrorists.''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1l4gGkPziA

Races and getting jobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKqp_wk-EE

As my in general opinions. Does it exist? Sure. But not only is it not how most people spin it. Most people really do not care. Most stereotypes exist for a reason, and people blaming or consistently making issues racial when they are not does not help anyone. As someone who went to a ghetto high school, and lived in a ghetto neighborhood and most of my friends have grow in poor/in lived in ghetto schools. I think I see the opposite side of the spun lines the media likes dishing out daily. I could make hundreds of points in my favor but I really hate discussing this topic as I've heard about it enough.

BraidMyButtHair
05-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Stupid people are stupid. Race doesn't mean anything because stupid people aren't one race. If I don't like you, it's not because the color of your skin, it's because you did something I don't like. Simple.