PDA

View Full Version : Please allow user chosen images for Avatars and Signatures

dafinch
03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Posted in "Off-topic" but rightful place belongs here.User customization needs MOAR FREEDOM!

Dmantakae
03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
I agree. I also have mixed feelings about requiring at least 10 characters to post a reply.

Nyxxie
03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
I agree. I also have mixed feelings about requiring at least 10 characters to post a reply.
Off-topic to the OP but personally I'm fine with this requirement. "This" or "Yep" are boring and useless - they don't add anything to a discussion and is that not the point of having these forums now? ;)

Tokiko
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
i wouldnt mind having a custom avatar. eventhough on that one reddit post where they asked " what should we put into the forums" a ton of people voted against it

Mexican
03-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes, Hate seeing everyone have the same god avatar as me :(

Holified
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree, I was hoping to upload my own avatar today, but I am guessing they will add this soon enough if we are patient.

NinjaSniPAH
03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
As I pretty much said in the off-topic thread, hoping to be able to use my sig + avatar that I used on smiteboards ^^;

(Although I am happy with this lovely Vulcan one)

GloriousToast
03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I would love to offer my god-tier drawings to custom icons, just kidding. I would totally love to have this as my icon http://i.imgur.com/bsm8gnB.jpg

Mexican
03-20-2014, 11:23 PM
I would love to offer my god-tier drawings to custom icons, just kidding. I would totally love to have this as my icon http://i.imgur.com/bsm8gnB.jpg
I bet you'd love this
http://i.imgur.com/NzODG6s.jpg

chubbykittens
03-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Yes please, all of this. Though I'm assuming that they don't want the forums to get cluttered with inappropriate .gifs and whatnot, I sure would like my own. Maybe have users submit images to mod review?

Limyc
03-21-2014, 03:10 AM
How am I supposed to know whose post I'm reading if everyone has the same avatar? It's way easier to glance at an avatar than it is to read a name. Avatars give a sense of personality to the otherwise hollow names.

Ekozz
03-21-2014, 03:11 AM
How am I supposed to know who's post I'm reading if everyone has the same avatar? It's way easier to glance at an avatar than it is to read a name. Avatars gives a sense of personality to the otherwise hollow names.

Don't you call my name hollow, you filthy cupid-face.

<3

speaking of, why the hell is cupid the default avatar? who's decision was that?

EyeIgnite
03-21-2014, 04:17 AM
Would be nice, and it might eventually come, but the forums aren't even official yet, so be patient.

Deumus
03-21-2014, 04:28 AM
Custom Avatars only brings more problems than anything else. It makes moderators having to work more on keeping ppl in line as even if u will behave alot other will put in obscene. provocative etc etc and why waste time for it? U're here for smite and if u don't like the smite charachters faces I'm just lost on words. So what if u get same as some other ppl? Like ppl wouldn't be able to put in same avatar as u anyway if it was custom.

Csquared08
03-21-2014, 04:36 AM
Don't you call my name hollow, you filthy cupid-face.

<3

speaking of, why the hell is cupid the default avatar? who's decision was that?
I don't think it is. When I went to set my avatar, I had no default avatar.

Limyc
03-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Custom Avatars only brings more problems than anything else. It makes moderators having to work more on keeping ppl in line as even if u will behave alot other will put in obscene. provocative etc etc and why waste time for it? U're here for smite and if u don't like the smite charachters faces I'm just lost on words. So what if u get same as some other ppl? Like ppl wouldn't be able to put in same avatar as u anyway if it was custom.
Trust me, it's not a burden as long as the moderators have a way to enforce the rules (directly or indirectly).

CtrlAltDefeated
03-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Yes please, all of this. Though I'm assuming that they don't want the forums to get cluttered with inappropriate .gifs and whatnot, I sure would like my own. Maybe have users submit images to mod review?

Yeah, I think it's best if Avatars and signatures could only support .pngs or .jpgs to prevent a million image macros and memespam. Also significantly reduces the page loading time compared to forums that do allow gifs in their signatures.

I'd still be up for custom avatars, though.

Limyc
03-21-2014, 06:05 AM
Yeah, I think it's best if Avatars and signatures could only support .pngs or .jpgs to prevent a million image macros and memespam. Also significantly reduces the page loading time compared to forums that do allow gifs in their signatures.

I'd still be up for custom avatars, though.
They could just limit the maximum signature filesize to something reasonable. That way if people want gif sigs, they'll need to keep them short.

EyeIgnite
03-21-2014, 06:41 AM
They could just limit the maximum signature filesize to something reasonable. That way if people want gif sigs, they'll need to keep them short.

Yes please. I'd rather not have kids posting in every thread with 10 different gifs in his sig. It's ugly, and it's pointless clutter.

Tokiko
03-21-2014, 07:00 AM
moderating avatars wouldn't be that hard. all they would have to do is frequently brows the forum like mods are supposed to do anyway. if they see an inappropriate avatar then they delete it and send a message detailing why t was deleted. or they put an approval system in effect which i wouldn't recommend due to the high amount of players that will use the forum. People would have less of a reason to have their avatar be the same if they could upload their own. with a small pool of them there will be a huge number of repeats.

Psychevore
03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
The biggest problem with allowing custom images for avatars and gifs is that Smite is still relatively small and Hi-Rez as a company is even smaller and moderating the forums takes manpower. Then you have thousands of people joining the forums and using whatever they like for gifs from a swastika to a pair of naked boobs bouncing and suddenly the moderators are so busy policing custom avatars and signatures that they forget to moderate the actual threads, forums and sub-forums and everything just goes to waste.

Personally, I'm against custom avatars. I come here for information and discussion about smite, I don't really care to know you're propot with an animated 420 Blaze It avatar or to see the same 10 gifs that have been around since the birth of the internet over and over. Stop trying to be a unique snow flake, pick a god you like, rock an avatar of it and discuss smite.

Limyc
03-21-2014, 01:33 PM
The biggest problem with allowing custom images for avatars and gifs is that Smite is still relatively small and Hi-Rez as a company is even smaller and moderating the forums takes manpower. Then you have thousands of people joining the forums and using whatever they like for gifs from a swastika to a pair of naked boobs bouncing and suddenly the moderators are so busy policing custom avatars and signatures that they forget to moderate the actual threads, forums and sub-forums and everything just goes to waste.

Personally, I'm against custom avatars. I come here for information and discussion about smite, I don't really care to know you're propot with an animated 420 Blaze It avatar or to see the same 10 gifs that have been around since the birth of the internet over and over. Stop trying to be a unique snow flake, pick a god you like, rock an avatar of it and discuss smite.
I promise, it doesn't take nearly as much manpower as you seem to think. As long as the rules are made clear, 95% of users will follow them.

Source: I was a HiRez forum mod for 2 years.

JesusHatesYou
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
I think the intent is for your icon here to be the same one of your in game account. (This was hinted at with the release of icons).

HiRez stated that these forums are not yet finished, and given how buggy the list of icons is, I would not be surprised if it changed to only allow you to select those icons you had purchased in game.

Aximundi
03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
I just want my soviet Athena avatar Hirez please!

Otterbatch
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Would love for custom avatars, with the choice of using the god portraits as an alternative.