PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater fills a niche that does not exist.

ElricVIII
03-14-2015, 06:55 PM
When I first started playing the game I loved Soul Eater. It seemed like a powerful bruiser item (I wasn't very good at this time) that gave tankiness, sustain, and offense. The reality is that its mish-mash of stats is not very beneficial to anyone. Taking advantage of lifesteal means you're likely playing a hunter or assassin, so you don't care about the health too much (or the aura, for that matter). Taking advantage of the health means you're probably a warrior that cannot effectively use the lifesteal.

Now that pen boots have been removed, warriors are lacking in good penetration items. I think this item should be reworked to add penetration instead of lifesteal. I can think of quite a few warriors that would welcome the combination of pen, health, and attack speed.

Thoughts?

AlexError
03-14-2015, 06:57 PM
This might have to be VERY carefully balanced, but I could see the Soul Eater having some kind of percentage damage buff in an aura, just like DotA2's Vladamir's Offering (http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Vladmir%27s_Offering)

Trubblegum
03-15-2015, 03:12 PM
It's built on Osiris though...

Fênrîr
03-16-2015, 01:48 PM
It's a niche item for a select few gods.

It's a great pick up on Bellona, Osiris and a more Warrior oriented Fenrir build in certain situations.

Basically any Warrior that relies on auto attacks can find use of this item.

McKnightrider
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I think picking Soul Eater takes away to much from what you're trying to build on a god. For Bellona you're either substituting it for a defensive item giving you little to no defensive build on you or your taking away another attack speed item like executioner. I tried it a lot on Bellona and I found having a 3rd attack speed item like executioner or Ichaival better and the added defense of an item like a Hide of the Urchin.
I think Aura items are really bad tbh. the +10% life steal and +10 power really seem negligible especially to the god who has soul eater. I rather see it be:
+200 hp
+15% life steal
+10% attack speed
Each successful attack adds 2% life steal and attack speed for 5 stacks for 2 seconds. Making it +200hp +25% life steal, +20% attack speed. at full stacks with high attack speed you'll have a nice bruiser item.

Enigmatisty
03-18-2015, 01:38 PM
I've been using it on Awilix and it's doing a decent job keeping her stay alive when a gank goes wrong.
It's a nice item to have when I want to build a bit on health and still retain some lifesteal, but the passive could be better than just giving everyone else some lifesteal.

Snikeduden
04-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I would probably compare it to Asi since both are lifesteal items with low/no physical power.

Asi costs 1750 gold, has 30% attack speed, 15% physical lifesteal and 15 physical penetration. The passive gives 25% physical lifesteal (40% in total) for 5 seconds when dropping below 35% health, with a 15 seconds CD.

Soul Eater costs 2000 gold, has 300 health, 10% attack speed and 15% physical lifesteal. The aura grants 10% lifesteal and 10 power withinn 70 units. This includes the owner, so it gives 300 health, 10% attack speed, 25% physical lifesteal and 10 physical power in total for the owner.

This means Asi is a better offensive item for the owner. However the aura can make Soul Eater quite powerful in certain team comps. It could be worth buying late game as a warrior support who is more interested in increasing the teams damage/sustain rather than his own damage. The same goes for a solo bruiser in a team with an AA based jungler in addition to the hunter. Giving the hunter 35% lifesteal instead of 25% will surely make him happy, espessially late game.

As a defensive/sustain item, Soul Eater compliments items like Spirit Robe who has high protections but little health. In summary, Soul Eater is in my opinion a good item on tanks/bruisers who wants to provide a damage/sustain bonus to the team rather than maximising their own damage. If the team is mainly magic damage oriented or kinda 50/50 it would probably be better to buy something else.

Trubblegum
04-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Dude
dont necro the post

CaptainDoomsday
04-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Commenting to complain is necroing.

Soul Eater is pretty good, as many assassins can get a lot out of some tank, but its aura feels wasted pretty much all the time. If it instead gave some passive or simply had higher stats, it could be a phenominal jungler tool.

Trubblegum
04-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Commenting to complain is necroing.

Soul Eater is pretty good, as many assassins can get a lot out of some tank, but its aura feels wasted pretty much all the time. If it instead gave some passive or simply had higher stats, it could be a phenominal jungler tool.

Dude, you just necroed an already necroed post TO COMPLAIN ABOUT NECROING.

I'm just playing the act of the Mages Guild.
Gotta stop all det dere Necromancy.

CaptainDoomsday
04-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Dude, you just necroed an already necroed post TO COMPLAIN ABOUT NECROING.

I'm just playing the act of the Mages Guild.
Gotta stop all det dere Necromancy.

I didn't complain about it; I called you out.
Also, it was on the front page, so it's hardly dead.
Got an opinion here, or did you just want to be a wise guy?

How about that Soul Eater, hmmm? Think it'd be better non-aura/stronger stats? Hmmm?

Fênrîr
04-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Dude
dont necro the post

If the last post in the thread is at least one month old then don't "bump it". Just start a new discussion (if there's not already a similar discussion available)

Hasn't been a month since this thread was made yet.

Trubblegum
04-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Hasn't been a month since this thread was made yet.
If a thread has been discussed and finished, and is essentially dead because nobody posts in it, then it is necroing.

Fênrîr
04-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Except it's not finished. There is still discussion to be had here.

The definition of a necro varies from forum to forum. When a mod says it's a month from the last post then that is the definition here. When you become a mod and can make the rules then we can talk.

AlexError
04-12-2015, 01:12 PM
The debate about who necro'd whom and what, why and how is totally unnecessary, thread locked.