PDA

View Full Version : Request for a "Damage Log"

Palisade
03-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Before you ask yourself, "Hey haven't I read this before?", yes I did post this on the reddit a few weeks back with a lot of positive responses/feedback. However, as it is my most wanted feature out of Smite, I will brave the dreaded re-post to get someone at Hi-Rez to at least acknowledge my suggestion.

Pretty simple concept, I believe we've all barely limped out of a fight w/o dying and wondered to ourselves "What the hell just happened". Because Smite is such a fast paced game it is pretty common for a team fight to only last 5-10 seconds, and a lot of information can come at you very quickly making it difficult (sometimes) to know which enemy hit you for what.

It could be much like the "Y screen/death recap" in design only instead of telling you what contributed to your death, it has a list of all incoming damage sources over the past X minutes.

Open to discussion as to whether or not this is even a good idea. Thanks in adv.

OxyGenius
03-22-2014, 03:49 PM
I would really, really like this, sometimes it is very difficult to tell how much damage you are taking and from what source unless you die.

Firestarters
03-22-2014, 03:49 PM
How would it be delivered to us? .txt file on a game folder? "chat" box tab in game?

The principle is great, not only for matches but for theorycrafting but how would/should they do it?

OxyGenius
03-22-2014, 03:50 PM
How would it be delivered to us? .txt file on a game folder? "chat" box tab in game?

The principle is great, not only for matches but for theorycrafting but how would/should they do it?

The same way they do the death recap, either another panel of it or a seperate button.

Firestarters
03-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Having the death recap with 2 tabs, 1 as it is now and another as a detailed text analysis of all that happened would be good. Also having a button on that detailed view to save the log for that game/time so you can review later would be nice.

Palisade
03-22-2014, 04:08 PM

My general thoughts were that it could be a screen bound to a key much like the current "Y" "DeathRecap", and if that was well received they could even go so far as to have it as another end game screen that you could scroll through. I believe such information could be useful to Theorycrafting/More advanced Counterbuilding, considering it's difficult to recreate real game situations in a fabricated custom match.

Tokiko
03-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I recall Bart using a command in the patch notes stream that did a damage log in the chat box. If we could have an option for that it would be nice. Would prefer minion damage be filtered out tho

HiRezStew
03-22-2014, 04:19 PM
In the latest release, there is a tab on the chat dialogue called COMBAT LOG. That gives you damage information (you can also toggle using the PAGE UP command).

Tokiko
03-22-2014, 04:27 PM
In the latest release, there is a tab on the chat dialogue called COMBAT LOG. That gives you damage information (you can also toggle using the PAGE UP command).
Serious? Damn goes to show how much I look at the chat box tabs

Palisade
03-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Wow, if this was in the notes and I missed it I feel like a dolt. Stew, thank you very much for your prompt response, you're a credit to your company. I just checked it out and it's verbatim what I had in mind. If I could make one suggestion it would be for filters for the information streaming in, if only to jump to the information that's vital/what you're testing.

LordNur
03-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Wow, if this was in the notes and I missed it I feel like a dolt.

Not to try and make you feel that way, but it's was actually added two patches ago, and adjusted this last one. Sooo, you kind of missed it twice. :rolleyes: >_>

ST33P
03-23-2014, 05:40 PM
This is a good idea.

Psych0pathic
03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I gotta agree that it's useful. But you really need to be able to filter out stuff like "Psych0pathic dealt 65 damage to Roman Melee Minion" or whatever.

SLeePYG
03-23-2014, 06:59 PM
This has been in the game several patches now, and I would like to have some customization as to what we see in it.

Tokiko
03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
This has been in the game several patches now, and I would like to have some customization as to what we see in it.

agreed. it would be nice to not have minion damage or gold gains and stuff in it. level ups are also unneeded

Barkay
03-23-2014, 08:50 PM
also if you spec someone, there info as HP5, mystical plate damage and other things get appended to the log so you have to scroll a while before you even find the fight that killed you.

its not all that usefull atm but its a start.

i would like it if the customizing of the UI in general and especially the logging would take notes from MMORPGs.

why no settings tab for UI customization where i can pick which one i like better.
why cant i move the UI elements around or change their size individually?
at least the chat^^

the "never add, always replace" approach when it comes to certain features is bugging me.

why is the screen so dull while one is dead now? doesnt make sense to have a high fidelity graphic and when you have time to really look at it, you cant.

why not put a select in a "customization" tab in the settings for Ward sounds rather than just replacing them?
the new one is... well, muted.

etc.

Nooneyouknow13
03-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Well, Hirez Stew beat me to pointing out that it was added int he last patch, so instead, I'm going to suggest that you be able to control it's scrolling speed. it tends to fly by pretty quickly and give you only a limited amount of back scrolling from what I've seen, I may have missed some customization options.