PDA

View Full Version : What is your current opinion on the Smite Leagues?

SinisterTales
03-21-2014, 10:56 PM
This can be anywhere from a person's rant time to someone's constructive criticism to the current state. I am not going to go into detail about my thought, because if you've played League I am quite adamant about my opinions.

Jailßird
03-22-2014, 04:09 AM
It's all about lucky win streak.

OblivKnight
03-22-2014, 04:11 AM
Glorified solo queue. I literally only play to stay and not drop down to lower ranks.

I would have a much greater desire to play ranked if they introduced duo queue.

NorsteinBekkler
03-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Glorified solo queue. I literally only play to stay and not drop down to lower ranks.

I would have a much greater desire to play ranked if they introduced duo queue.

So you want them to implement the most toxic aspect of Solo Queue from League of Legends?

OblivKnight
03-22-2014, 04:36 AM
So you want them to implement the most toxic aspect of Solo Queue from League of Legends?

The most frustrating aspect of ranked or at least from what I see it is simply the lack of control a player can feel on the impact of the game and players will get frustrated over players who underperform or don't play up to their expectations. In a duo queue system, two friends would have more impact on the game and therefore feel less frustrated, also playing with friends is also more fun than playing alone and a similar case would be on the enemy side.

I'm just going to say that I've never played LoL and I never plan to, so I might be missing something here, but I really find Smite not having a duo ranked queue silly when both league and Dota 2 have one.

NorsteinBekkler
03-22-2014, 04:53 AM
The most frustrating aspect of ranked or at least from what I see it is simply the lack of control a player can feel on the impact of the game and players will get frustrated over players who underperform or don't play up to their expectations. In a duo queue system, two friends would have more impact on the game and therefore feel less frustrated, also playing with friends is also more fun than playing alone and a similar case would be on the enemy side.

I'm just going to say that I've never played LoL and I never plan to, so I might be missing something here, but I really find Smite not having a duo ranked queue silly when both league and Dota 2 have one.

The merits never seem to outweigh the vices, sad to say.

Because if League taught anyone anything it's that having a Duo system in a Solo-based queue is all the more detrimental to ranked.

1. Players who play together rarely play in the same skill brackets, so you have friends carrying worse-talented friends into higher brackets and dumped into teams that are going to regret how badly they perform compared to the rest of the players in the match.

2. Players will pay other players to do exactly that for Season rewards, Rank-requirement rewards, boasting rights, etc...

3. Duo Players will often times use their 'majority vote' against a single, particular person in a game to condescend and treat said person like shit and get away with it because by default they hold more opinions than someone would alone, not to mention bullying picks for placement on the team.

Solo Queue is meant to be a rating system for people who choose to play alone and how well they can adapt to accommodate new teams at random.

Full Premade Queues are for friends.

Jokahine
03-22-2014, 05:15 AM
1v1 joust league needs 5 bans per side!

CAPSLOCKFURY
03-22-2014, 05:30 AM
The merits never seem to outweigh the vices, sad to say.

Because if League taught anyone anything it's that having a Duo system in a Solo-based queue is all the more detrimental to ranked.

1. Players who play together rarely play in the same skill brackets, so you have friends carrying worse-talented friends into higher brackets and dumped into teams that are going to regret how badly they perform compared to the rest of the players in the match.

2. Players will pay other players to do exactly that for Season rewards, Rank-requirement rewards, boasting rights, etc...

3. Duo Players will often times use their 'majority vote' against a single, particular person in a game to condescend and treat said person like shit and get away with it because by default they hold more opinions than someone would alone, not to mention bullying picks for placement on the team.

Solo Queue is meant to be a rating system for people who choose to play alone and how well they can adapt to accommodate new teams at random.

Full Premade Queues are for friends.

As someone who came from LoL - all of these were pretty minor problems and/or had fixes in place for them. Definitely not as big a deal as you're making them out to be.

____

That said, I have tons and tons of problems with the league queue which could make its own feedback thread honestly and I don't really have the time to put it all together now anyway. Basically, though, I feel the current system is a sad one with almost no real feeling of progression and what little feeling there is is quickly wiped in a month. On top of that, it doesn't promote new competitors or reward talent in any way and just feels awful as a result.

NorsteinBekkler
03-22-2014, 05:43 AM
As someone who came from LoL - all of these were pretty minor problems and/or had fixes in place for them. Definitely not as big a deal as you're making them out to be.

____

That said, I have tons and tons of problems with the league queue which could make its own feedback thread honestly and I don't really have the time to put it all together now anyway. Basically, though, I feel the current system is a sad one with almost no real feeling of progression and what little feeling there is is quickly wiped in a month. On top of that, it doesn't promote new competitors or reward talent in any way and just feels awful as a result.

Name the fix for Elo Jobs and people in brackets they don't belong in.

Mexican
03-22-2014, 06:20 AM
I feel its pointed towards people who play it more, with a slight of luck.

Onrak
03-22-2014, 06:35 AM
I just started leagues games and i have to ask a question : how can you show you real level when you start playing with bronze players. I really never lost my lane, (3wins/5 loss) and i have to carry the game to win. When there's not a feeder, there is an afk or a troll. Big problem : matchmaking !

Ràvén
03-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Whatever everyone suggests, all I know is that the current system needs changing. A good win streak is all it takes to rank up and a bad lose streak will simply ruin your month.

While you can recover from a bad start and also drop down from a good start, it has nothing almost nothing to do with skill. The only queue that has to do with skill is Joust, but a blind pick is more about luck than anything. So really none of them have much to do with skill sine you can have a bad match up in Joust and simply lose because they counter picked you, and in Arena or Conquest if you have retarded team mates you will lose and there is nothing you can do.

Onrak
03-22-2014, 06:58 AM
When we leave lobby's in league, is there a punition ? Cause with a ~8min queue, when there's a leaver it's very annoying ! last night i got 3 leavers. I really hope they get punished

Scylaxius
03-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I think ranked brings out the worst in people sometimes. I tried it once, failed, and never went back because I don't wanna deal with some of the jerks that play. Granted, we lost, but I have noticed how unforgiving people in the ranked community are for ever little thing you do wrong. My thoughts? It's fun, and it feels like I'm in a championship! Only with spoiled brats.

I'll stick to casuals, where I'm less likely to be yelled at and cussed at for doing one thing wrong thank you.

Onrak
03-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Game #51915695 to illustrate what i meant !
Playing sobek, was 3/1/9... i fed my xba, and what a matchmaking with this anubis and thanatos. When you start league you can't show your real level and have to deal with those people/feeders.
Like someone said before, the real problem of league : Luck = win / unluck = loss

Bluechacho
03-22-2014, 09:32 AM
It sucks that your team can bring you down, but I honestly cannot think of a good fix. As previously discussed, Duo queue is an awful idea riddled with problems.

Keihou
03-23-2014, 03:56 AM
I'd like to be able to q with a friend.

MikalMirkas
03-23-2014, 05:52 AM
This can be anywhere from a person's rant time to someone's constructive criticism to the current state. I am not going to go into detail about my thought, because if you've played League I am quite adamant about my opinions.

ELO is essentially RNG-based, especially in this mode where it's all about winstreaks.

I dislike League because I hate having to play with asshats. This being said, I either play with bads or I play with dicks. Welcome to mobas.

the 1% of people that are tolerable and aren't asshats won't put up with my bitching so yeah

Renita
03-23-2014, 07:55 AM
My opinion on league is: why is the "most competitive" mode in the game only available for solo queue? Wouldn't full premade groups give a better idea of how well you are performing? There are so many tournaments. Even the launch of the game is boasting a huge tournament. But the only way to practice for these tournaments is to play in the casual queue or create a custom game where you must find on your own another full team of people to play against.

Also, why do so many people surrender at ten minutes or rage quit a game in league in bronze( maybe in other leagues too but I only hit level 30 this month)? Because there is not really an incentive not to. The system looks at your ten best wins. Well in bronze you don't really have much to lose especially if you are not in the middle of a win streak so the theory is often just move on to the next game and hope to get better matchmaking next time. Why spend 45 minutes trying to actually win a game when maybe next time my team will be up at ten minutes and the other team will surrender. >.<. FYI these are not my opinions but rather the opinion of most of the people I seem to end up in groups with.

I wish there was an incentive to finish games in league. Especially since you are queuing solo, why not earn some sort of points even if you lose if you were playing well. Perhaps look at kills, deaths, assists, towers, and objectives taken.

Lastly of course there is matchmaking. I know everyone complains about matchmaking in the game. In casuals the issue tends to be people of differing elo queuing together and or a high elo person queuing alone being paired with low elo people because the system is trying to create two teams that add up to the same elo. These don't really apply to ranked so much yet it still feels like matchmaking is off. Perhaps the problem all along has been the formula that is used to create elo in the first place. Or perhaps it's the fact that when you start bronze everyone artificially has the same elo until proven otherwise. This seams ridiculous to me. Why not use your casual elo artificially until proven otherwise? The game would use the elo you have in casual when you start ranked. This will put you with and against the same skilled people to start. Then as you continue to play ranked and casual. You would still earn separate elo from playing ranked or casual but you will just have started at a better place.

All this said, I suppose if there was only one thing I could change about ranked, I would like to ban the rage quitters from league. I am not entirely sure how to do this. Perhaps if you leave say 10 percent ( or whatever number seems fitting) of your matches you should not be allowed in ranked again until next season (or for whatever amount seems reasonable here).

NGDragon
03-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I don't like the fact that it's based on winstreaks, i think it just be based on your win/loss rating.

dafinch
03-23-2014, 08:23 AM
i Used to play it, i could give a fuck less now. i don't care for some imaginary rank when there's no current reward as advertised and when lucky win streaks dominate the scene. the second you lose, enjoy sitting in the same spot until the new season. Its not like im bad when following the meta, whatever it is now, i just cant be told what to do game in and game out when ive played the game for over a year and a half and know what the fuck to do. Either i play my way or its the highway.

pieface
03-23-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't play league because I don't have that kind of time.

GreeneKnight
03-23-2014, 09:23 AM
It seems like there is not nearly enough of a penalty for losing in Leagues. The system seems to strongly favor those that play the most, over those that are actually the most skilled. Time played != skill. This post (http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2014/1/18/the-psychology-of-learning.html) by David Sirlin has a great discussion on how false that idea is (and also includes a fun podcast with a researcher about the science of learning).

As someone that works with systems for a living though, I would not envy the person tasked with designing any MOBA matchmaking system. Determining a player's actual skill in a game such as this is a nightmare due to the abstract ways in which players find success. It's also very possible that I don't know about hidden variables in the existing system that help to create matches.

Unfortunately, the design of this system appears (to me at least) to be intentionally focused on getting players to play as much as possible. If that is indeed the case, it's very unlikely that it will changed in any way that would correct my perceived problems with it in the future.