PDA

View Full Version : Morana, the Queen of Sorrow

Aurasai
04-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Morana (also known as Marzanna or Morena) is a Slavic goddess associated with death, rebirth, nightmares, sorcery, winter and harvest.

http://i.imgur.com/mGXNaE7.jpg?1

(Image by Righon (http://righon.deviantart.com/))

Summary:
Pantheon: Slavic
Weapon of Choice: Scythe
Type: Melee, Magical
Role: Assassin
Hit progression: 0.7-1-1-1,2
The second and third attack affect all enemies within a 90 degrees cone in front of her, while the final attack affects all enemies within a 180 degrees cone.

For the kit, I am aiming for a melee magical god, that can fill the role of assassin, that is able to carry a game.

Overall, Morana is a good god you can use both in a lane and in jungle. She has moderate AOE damage, but devastating single target damage from her 3, making her both a good god for dueling and someone that may stand alive in a teamfight. As she lacks a long gap closer and is a squishy melee mage, she depends on lifesteal and on her ultimate.

Call of the Grave (Passive):
Enemy gods who take damage from Morana's abilities, receive a stack of Frost for 5 seconds. Each stack of Frost reduces movement and attack speed. Upon death, affected gods heal Morana. Her passive has a maximum of 10 stacks.

Movement speed slow: 4% per stack
Attack speed slow: 3% per stack
Healing: 5% of your maximum health per stack

Reap (Skill 1):
Morana forms an icy blade at a targetted location, which then moves towards her, cutting down all enemies in its path. Enemies hit take magic damage and enemy gods are also pushed towards her. She also applies 3 stacks of frost to anyone hit.

Damage: 90/135/180/225/270 (+80% of magical power)
Cost: 60/65/70/85/80 mana
Cooldown: 10 sec

Feast (Skill 2):
Morana cleaves with her scythe, sapping the life of all enemies around her, applying a stack of frost, dealing magical damage, healing herself from up to 3 targets. Damage is increased for each stack of frost.

Damage: 60/80/100/120/140 (+50%) +5% per stack of frost
Healing: 30% of the damage done for up to 3 targets
Cost: 40 mana
Cooldown: 3 seconds

Grim Harvest (Skill 3):
Morana dashes forward, performing a vicious strike upon all enemy gods hit, dealing magic damage and applying several stacks of frost. After 3 seconds all of the frost stacks are consumed and the enemies take magical damage for each stack. If an enemy god is killed by Grim Harvest, or while Grim Harvest is active, all of Morana's cooldowns, apart of ultimate, are refreshed.

Frost stacks applied: 2/3/3/3/4
Initial Damage: 50/80/110/140/170 (+50% of magical power)
Final Damage: 50 for each stack of frost (+1 for each 10 magical power)
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 mana
Cooldown: 17 seconds

Winter's Toll (Ultimate):
Morana summons the winter winds upon her enemies, forming a vile blizzard, slowly moving in a chosen direction. While in the blizzard, Morana is invisible and gains additional movement speed. Every time she deals or takes damage, she is revealed for 2 seconds. Enemy gods in the blizzard take magical damage each 0,5 sec and get affected by a stack of frost each sec. The blizzard lasts for 7 seconds, but it's refreshed each time an enemy god dies in it.

Damage: 25/30/35/40/45 (+15% of magical power) per 0,5 sec
Movement Speed self buff: 30%
Frost: 1 per sec
Duration: 7 seconds, refreshed on kills
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 90 seconds

Aurasai
04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
God analysis:

http://i.imgur.com/4pvbyeT.png

Damage - Morana has high sustained damage scaling well into the lategame, with a short cooldown from her 2. She can also deal devastating damage to a single target with her 3. Her skill cooldowns reset upon kills, making her very potent for dealing damage.
Mobility - She has a medium range dash and increased movement speed in her ultimate. Considering she takes advantage of slows, her mobility is average for an assassin.
Utility - Morana has strong sustain and safe clear, so she can be played in both solo and mid lane. She has good gank potential and damage for a jungler, so she is very versatile when it comes to choice of lane. She can provide good zoning, slows and damage into a teamfight giving her above average utility.
Defense - Morana lacks almost any defensive skills apart of an invisibility during her ultimate, which helps her not getting focused when she isn't doing damage. She is quite squishy and she is melee, giving her very low defense.
Healing - Morana has very high sustain, which helps her survive teamfights. While having high sustain, she is unable to heal others, so she has above average healing.
Control - Morana has a strong zoning ultimate, knockback and a sustained slow for both movement and attack speed. She lacks any hard ccs, so she has average control.

Lore:
As the goddess of winter and death, Morana was rarely liked by people and gods alike. Her wrath would bring long cold winters, with disease and famine sweeping all life. During that time, the land becomes her domain, with her being its cruel mistress.

Yet those who gain the favor and respect of Morana, should have no fear, as death itself fights on their side. Countless armies have perished when marching towards Morana's domain, questioning her authority. They are swept by the freezing cold winds or the even colder steel of those she has blessed with victory.

Morana's departure is a time of great joy. This is the time where nature starts to rewaken, and even those who ware not spared by her scythe, leave place for new life to bloom.

Appearance:
Morana's appearance is both beautiful and terrifying. Mixed with her fair feminine appearance and very long black hair, is a pale skin with slightly blue tone, similar to that of a frozen corpse. She has long fangs hiding behind her blue lips and her hands end with long claws able to strip flesh from bone. The determined gaze of her glowing blue eyes can make you blood freeze (litteraly).

She is dressed with a white robe (in Slavic culture, white is the color of death and purity, not black) mixed with white animal fur and dark blue and gold embroidery (signifiying royalty). Her robe would be cut near the legs to allow for fluid, "dance-like" movement when swinging her scythe. Here is picture of historic Slavic clothing for referance. (http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/b2/51/02/b25102fb4e70578c6d6065be84e7283a.jpg)

Design representation:
For Morana being a goddess of winter and death (also sorcery and nightmares), the 2 obvious choices were either a mage or an assassin. I didn't want to go for either a traditional mage or a traditional assassin, so I tried to mix both role aspects into one. As such Morana has both the high sustained aoe damage of a mage and high single target burst damage of an assassin, while having neither of these aspects available instantly, with neither the strong CC of mages and the safety of high mobility of asssassins. To compensate, I tried to introduce a mechanic that would reward you for doing your job as either of the 2 roles, providing increasing sustain for doing AOE damage with your low cooldown skill, and big chunks of health and cooldown refreshes upon securing kills. As such I think the kit, while difficult to pull off, is very rewarding to opportunistic players who can pass her high skill floor requirement.

A big part to the design also came down to Marzanna's aspec of a Polish war god. (http://www.bogowiepolscy.net/gfx/image/09_Marza_Bogurodzica.jpg) The natural resilience of the Slavs to the cold weather has won them many battles across history. As such Morana was often sought to protect and help warriors in cold weather. In her design, Morana passively debuffs her enemies with a stacking movement and attack speed slow, making them weaker and weaker the longer a fight goes on (and Morana remains alive), helping her fellow gods and goddesses in the fight.
The other aspect is Morana's stealth mechanics. The slavic warfare often included hit and run and stealth tactics, which also translates to Morana's ultimate.

P.S. I built most of Morana's character based on this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOvk5gb2OaE&index=9) (Ruyan - The Queen of Sorrow)

KingSarathos
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Quick question: In her passive, you say that "Upon death, affected gods heal Morana," but do you mean upon the enemy god's death, such as Kali's passive, or as a revival passive (similar to Aatrox, from League of Legends)?

Aurasai
05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Quick question: In her passive, you say that "Upon death, affected gods heal Morana," but do you mean upon the enemy god's death, such as Kali's passive, or as a revival passive (similar to Aatrox, from League of Legends)?

Upon an enemy god's death.
For example, Morana kills an Anhur. Before dying, Anhur had 15 stacks of Frost. The moment Anhur dies, Morana gains 30% of her max health. This also works on assists, so it doesn't matter if Morana gets the kill or not.

Kenyar
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Hmm... A little OP that passive, but i think it's difficult (a little :D) to assemble so many.
i love your concept... and yes, i want it to my account. Now! XD Where is the vote button?! O.o

Aurasai
05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Hmm... A little OP that passive, but i think it's difficult (a little :D) to assemble so many.
i love your concept... and yes, i want it to my account. Now! XD Where is the vote button?! O.o

The stacks are easy to make on a specific target, but hard to maintain on multiple. Hitting a gods with your 1 gives 5 stacks, your 3 gives 10 but just on 1 target. Your 2 gives 1 on all gods hit, and it is a big aoe on a very short cooldown (5 sec). It's a good skill to maintain the stacks on the gods who are still in combat with you. Without your ult you cannot keep make more then 16-17 stacks on 1 target where the cap is 25, but even with the ultimate you cannot get full stacks without killing at least 1 god with your 3 (for cooldowns reset).

Once gods start dying, Morana starts healing for more and dealing more damage.

Kenyar
05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
The stacks are easy to make on a specific target, but hard to maintain on multiple. Hitting a gods with your 1 gives 5 stacks, your 3 gives 10 but just on 1 target. Your 2 gives 1 on all gods hit, and it is a big aoe on a very short cooldown (5 sec). It's a good skill to maintain the stacks on the gods who are still in combat with you. Without your ult you cannot keep make more then 16-17 stacks on 1 target where the cap is 25, but even with the ultimate you cannot get full stacks without killing at least 1 god with your 3 (for cooldowns reset).

Once gods start dying, Morana starts healing for more and dealing more damage.

Oh! I'm understand now! :D Thanks for informations. I'm approve this! :D

KingSarathos
05-01-2014, 09:56 PM
:) Thank you for the quick reply. You absolutely have my vote for this one, as well as all of the others on your superlist. :) I'll read them all more in depth momentarily.

BaconCider
05-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Definitely an amazing concept. You have my vote. But really I love any kind of mythology. :) Very specific and detailed. Keep up the great work!

Kenyar
05-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Definitely an amazing concept. You have my vote. But really I love any kind of mythology. :) Very specific and detailed. Keep up the great work!

I wouldn't have said it better. :)

Aurasai
05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Update: the cooldown, scaling and damage on Feast are reduced. The healing, healing from frost stacks and damage from frost stacks is doubled. This is to make Feast more of a sustain skill, and make it easier to maintain the frost stacks (previously you only had 1 second to put a new stack of Frost).

Damage: 60/90/120/150/190 (+50%) +2% per stack of Frost from 70/105/140/175/250 (+70%) + 1% per stack of Frost
Healing: 50% of the damage done + 2% per stack of Frost from 25% of the damage done + 1% per stack of Frost
Cooldown: 4 from 5

Aurasai
05-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Update: Balance poll added.

Aurasai
09-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Update:
improved the text formatting to be a bit less overwhelming
some balance changes:
Hit progression is now .7-1-1-1.3 to make hits more reliable
Passive: max stacks are now 20 from 25, increased attack speed slow to 2% per stack from 1, and healing for 3% from 2.
Reap: cooldown reduced to 10 seconds from 12
Feast: reduced mana cost to 45 mana at all ranks (from 35 to 55), healing is now capped to up to 3 targets

Aurasai
09-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Radar chart added as part of the concept formating. It is showing the pros and cons of the gods.
http://www.onlinecharttool.com/graph/image/blank?antifreeze=1410698422

XXVII
09-16-2014, 04:53 PM
I like Icy, frosty Gods/characters. She is risky, but definitely worth the risks. I love all your concepts but this one...I don`t have what to suggest. Keep on, you definitely do a great work! :3

Aurasai
09-16-2014, 04:57 PM
I like Icy, frosty Gods/characters. She is risky, but definitely worth the risks. I love all your concepts but this one...I don`t have what to suggest. Keep on, you definitely do a great work! :3

Thanks. As Hel is my main mage, I wanted to keep that same feeling of having a god that is really hard to play properly, but very rewarding if you manage to do so.

Aurasai
10-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Did some number tweaks. The most notable on the ultimate as I reduced the damage by about a half. Her ultimate is more of a defensive/utility skill instead of an offensive skill, so it was dealing way too much damage (staying in the full 7 sec duration can still outdamage most ultimates in the game).

Aurasai
11-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Added a lore, appearance and design representation sections on the 2nd post of the thread. It also includes some info about Slavic culture as a whole and what helped me design the concept, so some of you might find it an interesting. It also gives a better look on Morana's general gameplay idea, so it will be easier to give feedback on her kit with that in mind.
So you don't have to search for it, here is a link: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?2918-Morana-the-Goddess-of-Icy-Death&p=17590&viewfull=1#post17590

Keep in mind that I am not very good at writing, and it will likely contain a metric ton of grammatical errors :D

Duplicatename
12-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi there!

First off, passive. I don't necessarily like the 3% health per stack part- I'd change it to flat health. It feels far overpowered- she doesn't have a target system like Kali does. Kali has to dive in and pray she gets her target, while Morana doesn't. I would change it to somewhere between 10 and 20 health per stack.

I like the first ability, new take on a pull, and I like it!

As far as Feast goes and Grim Harvest go, I'd watch the healing here; it again brings up the passive. Two self heal on top of a passive self heal gets to be a lot. No other god has three self heals, and having those could get a little out of control. I'd strongly suggest picking on over the other, or weakening them all.

I like the ultimate, sorta like a Nu Wa Fog. I like it.

Now, back to the healing portion. She can heal herself to hell and back. I would strongly suggest hitting them with a metal nerf bat, or picking a one over the others. I definitely agree she should have a self-heal, as she is the goddess of harvesting, but not that much DX

Aurasai
12-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Hi there!

First off, passive. I don't necessarily like the 3% health per stack part- I'd change it to flat health. It feels far overpowered- she doesn't have a target system like Kali does. Kali has to dive in and pray she gets her target, while Morana doesn't. I would change it to somewhere between 10 and 20 health per stack.

I like the first ability, new take on a pull, and I like it!

As far as Feast goes and Grim Harvest go, I'd watch the healing here; it again brings up the passive. Two self heal on top of a passive self heal gets to be a lot. No other god has three self heals, and having those could get a little out of control. I'd strongly suggest picking on over the other, or weakening them all.

I like the ultimate, sorta like a Nu Wa Fog. I like it.

Now, back to the healing portion. She can heal herself to hell and back. I would strongly suggest hitting them with a metal nerf bat, or picking a one over the others. I definitely agree she should have a self-heal, as she is the goddess of harvesting, but not that much DX

All healing passives have a % healting, as you often get into situations where you need to counterbuild with protection items which also have health. Giving it flat health also means that the passive will be OP at low level, but almost useless at high, when the teamfights happen the most often. As for the values, while you do have a 60% potential heal, if you don't use your ult you will never be able to get 20 stacks on a target. You can get 11 by using your 1-3 and 1 more every time you use 3, while you have a limited time to make use of them. Target would usually be dead after the 12th or 13th stack, giving you a 36% or 39% heal.

As for the healing on her 2, note that she is a magical assassin and not physical. That means she lacks the sustained damage and lifesteal from her basic attacks and needs it elsewhere. Physical gods generally do 3 to 6 times more damage with their basic attacks then magicals, which also gets reflected on their lifesteal. The healing here is to complement her otherwise easy to ignore basic attack lifesteal.

For the Grim Harvest healing, well... it is called Harvest :D I guess I could mix the healing from it with the passive and give her double healing upon a killed target, while removing the healing from the passive.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback!

Bhullar1
05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
I love this concept, its an ice based assassin(reminds me of killer frost), she can heal(i specialize in healing gods), and it has such a cool kit, plus the radar chart was a good touch.

Just 1 question, how long till i can play her? :p

Aurasai
05-06-2015, 01:38 PM
I love this concept, its an ice based assassin(reminds me of killer frost), she can heal(i specialize in healing gods), and it has such a cool kit, plus the radar chart was a good touch.

Just 1 question, how long till i can play her? :p

Glad you like it :)

As for playing her, right after she becomes my main :D

Aurasai
07-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Update: I made some changes to the way of how Morana's 3 works. As you didn't had any skill you could prioritize at a lower level, you were at a disadvantage when laning if you are leveling up your 3, and at a disadvantage when ganking upon leveling up your 1.

The change I made was to remove the delayed damage's scaling per rank and instead make the amount of frost stacks scale per rank. The scaling was doubled, but the ability damage was reduced to a value close to rank 4 of the ability. The new change is similar to how Nu Wa's Clay Minions ability works, where gain a boost at rank 2 and 5, but the difference between rank 2,3 and 4 are minimal. Additionally, most of the mid-game damage now comes from your scaling and not the ability rank. As the trigger damage no longer scales with rank, you can put more points into the other skills, and still benefit from high damage.
Additionally, now this skills triggers on all gods hit instead of just the first.

Bhullar1
07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
i hope, when they start the slavic pantheon that they make morana first, and make her kit based of this concept.

Aphrodituss
07-07-2015, 11:01 PM
she looks fun to play + more female gods

Najh98
07-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Elsa.
/10char

vDeschain
07-08-2015, 05:46 PM
So how does her ult work, is it just cast in a very large radius around her, circumference shown by a circle on the map?

I love her kit. I'd hope she came with some interesting banter against Thanatos and vice versa.

I think it would be cool if the player saw ghosts of some sort, maybe the main character in the blizzard. Just my opinion though.

Aurasai
07-09-2015, 12:39 AM
So how does her ult work, is it just cast in a very large radius around her, circumference shown by a circle on the map?

I love her kit. I'd hope she came with some interesting banter against Thanatos and vice versa.

I think it would be cool if the player saw ghosts of some sort, maybe the main character in the blizzard. Just my opinion though.

It works pretty much the same way as Nu Wa's fog.

Bhullar1
09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
She would be banned in every mode cause this kit is AMAZING, she is a great asset for team fights and can fend for herself, might actually get me to use assassins other then Arachne in conquest :D.

Aurasai
10-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Gonna change Morana's title to "the Queen of Sorrow". Sounds less corny and I did base her character based on a song by the same name :D

AcidTheWarlock
10-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Doesn't she have to be a melee mage to be Magical?

Bhullar1
10-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Doesn't she have to be a melee mage to be Magical?

Not really in the forums a lot of people make a concept with assassins and warriors and Title them magical, the contest for last month actually asked for it.

AcidTheWarlock
10-11-2015, 07:14 PM
OK, sweet. Expect a magical warrior after my next ranged guardian concept.

Aurasai
10-15-2015, 04:13 AM
OK, sweet. Expect a magical warrior after my next ranged guardian concept.

I actually made this concept very long time ago (it was posted on the first Smite forum, before the release of Thanatos). Since then she has received several reworks (first one due to being very similar with Thanatos) and back at the time class archetypes were not certain to be exclusive to 1 damage type (if I am not mistaken, she even used to scale from both physical and magical power initially).

If you ask me Ao Kuang is just as much of an assassin as Loki is, so the class archetypes should be based on the god's kit and not the damage type they do.