PDA

View Full Version : Criticism on gods

Tingon
07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Saw another thread that criticized a specific god's looks. That is far from the only god that doesn't live up to it's source material though.

Hercules needs his lion skin to be on his head and hanging down on his back as a cape, head needs to be larger.
Thor needs to have a much much larger beard and no armor at all as he should be walking around in simple cloth as vikings did.
Ymir is made of flesh, he's called a frost giant, but giant should be emphasized not "made of ice".
Chronos seems a bit unbelievable, not that there are many statues of him but he appears to have wings and be quite naked.
Freyas wings should have feathers and not be futuristic.
Loki should like Thor be less armored and not wear funny hats.
Odin should look like Gandalf, not like some world of warcraft character.
Same with Tyr, far less armor, vikings wore no armor.

Flareb00t
07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Artistic license. Literally applies to all of these. Chronos is generally depicted in lore as a titanic 3-headed dragon with a human/serpent/dragon head.

Demystificator
07-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Chronos should eat Zeus when he kills him.

But I agree with that Ymir should be made of flesh and look less humorisitc.

For Thor and Odin, even if vikings wore no armor, I understand why they're so heavily armored : ppl who don't know or care about gods see warriors. Appearances of gods in Smite are clues to their style of play. If Tyr was in simple cloth, no begginer would pick him to tank.

I guess greek gods should be naked too. But can't be in a rated T game. And for some reason, girls are almost naked and caress their ass like Freya and it's okay, nobody complains.

Aurasai
07-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Chronos should eat Zeus when he kills him.

That is Cronus, not Chronos. Cronus is a titan, Chronos is a primordial.

Tingon
07-31-2014, 04:19 PM
What's wrong with Thor wearing something like this, still looks impressive to me now that's a god.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/M%C3%A5rten_Eskil_Winge_-_Tor%27s_Fight_with_the_Giants_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
instead of this:
American and ummm...smite's version.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140410210822/marvelmovies/images/e/e3/Thor-TDWpromo.png

Demystificator
07-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Doesn't look like a warrior for occidental 21st century codes.

My bad about Cronus and not Chronos.

Kaseda1027
07-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Personally, I would MUCH rather have Ymir be a giant ice cube instead of a person. Why? Heres why:
Human-like Gods:
Aphrodite
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Athena
Chronos
Hades
Nemesis
Poseidon
Scylla
Thanatos
Zues
Bastet
Osiris
Isis
Bastet
Neith
Serqet
Freya
Hel
Loki
Odin
Thor
Tyr
Ullr
Chang'e
Guan Yu
Hebo
Ne Zha
Nu Wa
Zhong Kui
Agni
Kali
Kumbhakarna
Rama
Vamana
Bacchus
Cupid
Hercules
Janus
Mercury
Vulcan
Ah Muzen Cab
Chaac
Xbalanque

Non-Human like Gods:
Arachne
Anhur
Anubis
Geb
Ra
Sobek
Fenrir
Ao Kuang
Sun Wukong
Bakasura
Hun Batz
and, Ymir

Notice the considerable difference between the lists. I would much rather have the next god not have a human-like model in-game, and changing Ymir's to flesh would attune to lore, but it would just be boring. Also, about Hercules, read the lore. He defeat a lion with impenetrable fur, and afterwards used it's own claws to skin it's fur off. Now he wears the hide as armor, and I wouldn't want a dead lion's head on my head. Plus, moving to the head will make people think that Hercules is a tiger-god or something. He's not, which is why it's on his shoulder.

Demystificator
07-31-2014, 06:02 PM
Why you list Ra as non human and Bastas as human ? And Ah Muzen Cab ?

Janus is a robot btw.

But a lot of gods do have human form in mythology... So why they don't have in the game ? As long as Smite wants to stay close to the mythology by giving the lore and try to more or less grants abilities related of gods' traits, it is absurd to have non-human Ymir.

I assume it's because he's a giant and not a true god.

Blame the humanity for thinking that gods are humanoid.

You're right about Herc. On the shoulder it is a trophy, on the head it will reminds Xbalanque.

Shaman
08-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Personally, I would MUCH rather have Ymir be a giant ice cube instead of a person. Why? Heres why:
Human-like Gods:
Aphrodite
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Athena
Chronos
Hades
Nemesis
Poseidon
Scylla
Thanatos
Zues
Bastet
Osiris
Isis
Bastet
Neith
Serqet
Freya
Hel
Loki
Odin
Thor
Tyr
Ullr
Chang'e
Guan Yu
Hebo
Ne Zha
Nu Wa
Zhong Kui
Agni
Kali
Kumbhakarna
Rama
Vamana
Bacchus
Cupid
Hercules
Janus
Mercury
Vulcan
Ah Muzen Cab
Chaac
Xbalanque

Non-Human like Gods:
Arachne
Anhur
Anubis
Geb
Ra
Sobek
Fenrir
Ao Kuang
Sun Wukong
Bakasura
Hun Batz
and, Ymir

Notice the considerable difference between the lists. I would much rather have the next god not have a human-like model in-game, and changing Ymir's to flesh would attune to lore, but it would just be boring. Also, about Hercules, read the lore. He defeat a lion with impenetrable fur, and afterwards used it's own claws to skin it's fur off. Now he wears the hide as armor, and I wouldn't want a dead lion's head on my head. Plus, moving to the head will make people think that Hercules is a tiger-god or something. He's not, which is why it's on his shoulder.

This list needs to be corrected

Furry:
Bastet
Anubis
sun wu wong
hunz
hunz

also exactly how do you define human and you would be better off ssaying humanoid; when you toss bastest in the human category, but she has less human features then Ra. Yet ra is labeled none human? And there is nothing human about janushe is just humanoid which isn't the same thing.

Tingon
08-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Something like this for Ymir would be more appropriate.
http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lohl6e6Wn21qho0ulo1_500.jpg

IrishPotato
08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Saw another thread that criticized a specific god's looks. That is far from the only god that doesn't live up to it's source material though.

Thor needs to have a much much larger beard and no armor at all as he should be walking around in simple cloth as vikings did.
Odin should look like Gandalf, not like some world of warcraft character.

I could point out flaws in the others as well because as others have posted above, Video game with cartoony characters != Realistic and HiRez has something called Artistic License. Also for the ones I quoted above you may want to speak with Marvel

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130430201409/marvelmovies/images/4/41/TDW_Thor_and_Odin.jpg

Tingon
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
If marvel would put Jesus in their comics and give him a diaper that wouldn't mean that's Jesus. ;) Same goes for vikings and pretty much all the other gods from different parts of the world. I'd enjoy more seeing an Odin and a Thor true to the mythology.