PDA

View Full Version : About Smite crowd-control

DesaCr8
03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
First of all, let me say that I posted this on reddit yesterday too, and because of the retarded downvote system, only few persons ever came to see it. What you'll see here is a slightly altered version of what I wrote there.

Also, if you are too lazy to read all, just leave, and don't do anything.

As I said in my older posts on Reddit, I played only 6 LOL matches before getting bored enough and uninstalling. Also, as I didn't say before, I've only played DOTA 2 training, then uninstalled, even though was better as a system, still had the same crappy gameplay, and same boring limited options (Unlike Smite with Arena, Assault etc). So, since I only played few characters, heroes, champions, or however they are called there, I don't know if those games have this problem too. This problem being the ridiculous amount of cc in this game! Root, cripple, slow, stun etc etc. Like it wasn't enough that nearly all melee physical gods have some kind of leap or charge (zero inspiration), now all matches are all about who has the most cc. Wasn't so bad until now, but it seems that every new god adds more ridiculous cc in play (Check Ullr 1, and Scylla 2+many other new gods).

Hi-Rez, when you added so many game modes in your game, you was supposed to have respect for all of them, not just Conquest. This is no longer just a MOBA, is also a 3D brawler. Absolutely all game modes, other than Conquest (some ppls disagree and say Conquest is affected too), are affected by this huge cc amount that you keep adding. Make slight changes to gods based on mode if needed, stop giving every god at least 1 cc ability, just do something! You are a game developer, not me, you know better what the solution is.

I love this game so much, but every match i see more and more peoples complaining about this too. At first i thought is just me, but now every arena match at least, i see at least 1 other person complaining about it (usually 3 or more, not just 1).

Sadly, Smite has become a cc-fest. That's my conclusion.

I wish for this game so much to do well, Hi-Rez is a great company in my opinion, I know they will do something about it if enough ppls ask for it.

If you don't feel like writing your opinion, at least pick something in the poll :)

/EDIT: I posted this in General Feedback because it could be affected by items too, not just god related things.

JesusHatesYou
03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Inukii made a beautiful post describing why CC was limiting the potential for awesomeness in this game. I'm gonna do my best to find it.

Taresh
03-27-2014, 03:49 PM
I would be a liar if I said the CC hasn't increased immensely since closed beta... but the game DOES need CC.

Adden
03-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Hi-Rez's first game was Global Agenda, it was a 3rd person shooter that didn't do so well, for multiple reasons. One being that it was a niche market and the skill level to compete in the pvp was quite high. I have a feeling Hi-Rez is dumbing down the gameplay in smite by using CC to make it more accessible to everyone. I mean how hard is it to shoot someone that can't move? Almost anyone can do it.

Kiaru
03-27-2014, 03:58 PM
I want knock ups to DR and tyrs fearless be countered as CC so that beads and aphro's ult can be used while being juggled, because currently they can not.

DesaCr8
03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm more worried about the potential for game to fail, than for myself. While I can try and find ways to minimize the impact on my playstyle, what's this going to do to the new players? Imagine someone start now and pick Fenrir, and will probably go arena or something first, not Conquest. He keep getting stunned, slowed and so on, and dying. Will end up with 1/12 or something like that, already feeling bad about himself, and his whole team start bm-ing him, and then telling to the other team to report him too, in the lobby. What's he going to do? Uninstall after first match. I can see how pissed off old players are about it anyway, so I can only imagine about the new ones. Yesterday I ended up 3/8 with Rank 5 Loki in arena, didn't have a negative k/d in Arena in months (other than on new gods purchased that i was learning). And why? Because they had Anubis, Sun Wukong, Mercury, and others I can't remember, simply couldn't do anything, when I was attacking anyone, insta cc locked and dead in 2 seconds.

Taresh
03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
I want knock ups to DR and tyrs fearless be countered as CC so that beads and aphro's ult can be used while being juggled, because currently they can not.

Okay let's say that happens... then what? Tyr becomes useless because beads counter him hard. If you take away his juggling, then his unique ability to juggle and what defines him as a god are gone.

Kiaru
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Okay let's say that happens... then what? Tyr becomes useless because beads counter him hard. If you take away his juggling, then his unique ability to juggle and what defines him as a god are gone.
What?

Every single god with CC is countered by beads, except beads is a 90s CD and most CC is 15s or less. Is every god with CC useless? No? Exactly.

Do you seriously want an ability to bypass the rules of smite? Beads is SUPPOSED to counter tyrs fearless, it was changed IN THE OFFICIAL PATCH NOTES, but it DOES NOT. Fearless is bugged and bypasses the rules of smite, it's a BUGGED ability.

jailedpanda
03-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm the minority in thinking that CC isn't that bad. The abillity to lock down people in a skill shot based game is much more needed, and plus recently the amount of CC god's have aren't that bad. Except for Ullr.

Khallis
03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
the problem with CC is that everyone has it, when really they shouldn't. like why do some Warriors have strong CC? why do some carries have stuns outside of their ults?

honestly there should be two roles that have hard CC on non-ult skills and thats Mages and Supports. And even then Mages should have single target only hard CC while Supports have aoe CC. I understand this game is supposed to be based around action, but roles still should have strengths and weaknesses.

jailedpanda
03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
the problem with CC is that everyone has it, when really they shouldn't. like why do some Warriors have strong CC? why do some carries have stuns outside of their ults?

honestly there should be two roles that have hard CC on non-ult skills and thats Mages and Supports. And even then Mages should have single target only hard CC while Supports have aoe CC. I understand this game is supposed to be based around action, but roles still should have strengths and weaknesses.

I don't agree with this at all to be honest. I've heard this argument for a very long while now, and I personally think the way SMITE handle's the roles are all pretty good. Making it so that only two roles have CC (Mages and Supports) is a very bland thing to do.

Flareb00t
03-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Nobody should get to break the laws of CC just because it's 'their niche'. Knockups are a crappily designed mechanic and Tyr is just an abomination.

jailedpanda
03-27-2014, 06:40 PM

I would hardly say if Tyr's one counter was a 90 second active it would make him useless.

Taresh
03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
What?

Every single god with CC is countered by beads, except beads is a 90s CD and most CC is 15s or less. Is every god with CC useless? No? Exactly.

Do you seriously want an ability to bypass the rules of smite? Beads is SUPPOSED to counter tyrs fearless, it was changed IN THE OFFICIAL PATCH NOTES, but it DOES NOT. Fearless is bugged and bypasses the rules of smite, it's a BUGGED ability.

First off, Calm down. You getting angry doesn't help anyone.
Secondly, It does counter his fearless. You just need to use it before he uses his ability... so it does counter, just not during.

Kiaru
03-27-2014, 06:57 PM
First off, Calm down. You getting angry doesn't help anyone.
Secondly, It does counter his fearless. You just need to use it before he uses his ability... so it does counter, just not during.
Yes, which means it's broken and not working as intended.

Taresh
03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes, which means it's broken and not working as intended.

Did you report it in the bug section then?

Aximundi
03-27-2014, 07:05 PM
i think CC on warriors is fine. i think some of the CC on ADCs and Assassins can be a bit much right now is a bit much but honestly unless they went and changed the whole skill set of some Gods they game is not going to change any time soon.
The game really is based around the CC and the burst.

rainnbowdash
03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
It doesnt have enough CC. need more CC. CC is best. CC!@

seriously, have you guys even compared the abysmal amount of CC in this game compared to Dota or HoN even?

JesusHatesYou
03-27-2014, 09:26 PM
I posted earlier about finding a post from Inukii regarding this topic. And find it I did. Here (http://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/1yw4ur/a_cry_for_help_and_the_true_reasons_we_play_games/cfocasf)it is. It's long, but worth every minute. Here's an excerpt I particularly enjoyed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Forget for a moment that we live in a world of limitations. What would you like to see in a game that would look freaking awesome to be a part of? I want to see swords clashing and grinding against one another. two players are in a fight. Epic blocks, parrys, people being knocked down on the ground and then they roll to avoid a lethal blow. Hyper martial arts kick-back-ups. blah blah.

I wanna see magic doing the same thing. Full particle physics. You throw a fireball against a wall it smushes out. Magic colliding with each other and really showing their elemental prowess against other elements. Water going against Fire the water would win, perhaps if the fireball was strong enough it'd burst through and there would be a lot of steam but the attack would be less powerful thanks to the water ball

In this world, win or lose, you know you are going to have an awesome experience. Theres so much which 'can' happen. Theres so much interaction.

Of course this is completely fantasy but what can be taken from this is, in a game such as SMITE, the combat needs to be exciting.

People hear me complain about Stuns and Crowd control a lot. That is because it takes away so much potential for things to happen when one player is locked out of combat. Lets take that crowd control to the fantasy world we just created. Suddenly that fireball vs waterball magical encounter could not happen because one player is stunned. Suddenly one player can no longer produce the epic evades from lethal sword blows because he is slowed. Suddenly the one player is taken out of control from this interactive game world and he can't enjoy the experience because he is no longer in the experience..unless the experience is what it would be like to be a statue."

Pentargonite
03-28-2014, 02:46 AM
There is a good amount of CC, if there wouldn't, gods like Thanatos would be very hard to counter (good ones at least).

Chernobog3
03-28-2014, 03:08 AM
I don't really have an issue with the idea of CC being present, it's more that so much of it is HARD CC. Stuns and knock-ups are absurdly common.

Zàngétsu
03-29-2014, 05:22 AM
I would be a liar if I said the CC hasn't increased immensely since closed beta... but the game DOES need CC.

While we do need CC, having someone like Isis with how much CC? A stun, a slow and a silence on the one god, plus her movement speed increase and damage reduction, that is a bit much.

What you need are gods who just hit hard and have some fun with, it is too much as it is.

seras32
02-11-2015, 06:48 PM
well i would say a lot of characters have something like that, but this can add some challenge to the game so it isn't just a point and click.
like what would smite be without cc moves or just less severe cc's.
and then you have to think about what smite would be if smite had only a couple of characters with cc's. the characters with the cc's would be the only good ones

smite has done a great job about how long the crowd control lasts, like most stuns will last for no more than 2 seconds, it can allow people to shoot them for only 2 seconds worth of time or launch an ability or combo of abilities, but most characters who have them are not the easiest things to hit enemies with in the first place. meaning one player cannot stun the entire team at once without them being huddled up in a tight circle with the enemy just perfectly placed to stun them all (exept xbalanque but all you have to do is just not do anything at the last bit of it so its very easy to avoid the stun from it).
come on guys stop complaining and just use the items in the game to avoid them.

Dralek
02-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Believe me, the CC in this game is just fine. Sure, it might need a bit of a tone-down, since literally every god gets at least some sort of a stun, but as you had said you hadn't played the other MOBAs, the stuns in the other two are far worse, especially Dota. At least in Smite, you can pop Beads while under CC to get away from it. In Dota 2, the stuns are actually divided into two categories; reliable (targeted) and unreliable (kinda like skillshots in Smite). Some of the unreliable stuns actually give the longest stuns in the game, with 4.5 seconds being the longest from what I can remember. Heck, there's even one Hero that has a Reliable stun that has a chance to stun for 4 seconds flat.