PDA

View Full Version : Can someone suggest something about something they're not an expert about?

JustRun175
06-08-2016, 07:58 PM
On another forum for another game, someone was criticizing me because I wasn't an expert on a very simple topic that a toddler could understand. Do you have to be an expert to have a valid opinion on something?

RippleApple
06-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Basic thought experiment.

A person circa 1000 BC thinks "The world is round."

Prevailing wisdom at the time is "The world is flat."

He's not an expert, or a scientist, or anything of the sort. He thinks it's round based on absolutely nothing but his gut feeling.

Is he correct? Yes. Does he have enough proof to make his case? No.

Azilo
06-08-2016, 11:29 PM
On another forum for another game, someone was criticizing me because I wasn't an expert on a very simple topic that a toddler could understand. Do you have to be an expert to have a valid opinion on something?

Expert? No. If only experts counted for opinions the world would be way worse than it is now. Experience is usually the best, but people can still become hella biased with it.

Bad experience = negative view
Good experience = positive view

And since some people are better at smite than others, it's going to skew those views, etc.

Whoever it was is just an ass.

AcidTheWarlock
06-09-2016, 05:33 AM
I do it all the time here. I'm literally Bronze V in Duel (cuz I tried not to be a metawhore and lost) but everyone takes my advice pretty seriously.

It's cool as long as you aren't wrong.

JustRun175
06-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the answers guys