PDA

View Full Version : Skype?

Shorlong
05-31-2014, 10:47 AM
When the hell did Skype become the number 1 program used by gamers to communicate? My clan uses Mumble, there is also Ventrilo, Teamspeak and others. Why would you use skype? I was in a match where there were three people from my clan, and I was asked "Are you three in a call together?" Took me FOREVER to understand what the hell he was talking about.

Then, a match where I called jungle, one clan mate called solo and one called mid. The other two asked if they could take jungle and solo because they were on skype together and could have better communication. I told them teh three of us where on Mumble and our communication was fine. They then berated us telling us that they could communicate way better with a call program than some chat program (what?!)

So yeah, when did Skype become the go to program for gamers?

Tokiko
05-31-2014, 11:37 AM
i dont know. vent and teamspeak have always been the top imho. gsc is a good free alternative also. skype is shit because you cant tweak things to they way you need it and no push to talk

Zahaele
05-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Because Skype is the most popular VoIP and most people can't be bothered to download two different programs that do almost the same thing.

Ijee
05-31-2014, 04:21 PM
i dont know. vent and teamspeak have always been the top imho. gsc is a good free alternative also. skype is shit because you cant tweak things to they way you need it and no push to talk

It is possible to use push to talk. Just take a look at the settings --> hotkeys.

Dmantakae
05-31-2014, 05:00 PM
I never liked Skype. Mumble imo will always be the best, although my outfit/agency/clan/friends recently switched to TS due to having issues with Mumble.

Imo I'll rank these as Mumble > TS > Ventrillo > Skype . I haven't tried any other programs.

Caspied
06-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Skype uses a lot of memory, I don't really use it. But I guess most people don't have medium-low PCs like me T_T

AllknowingWolf
06-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Because Skype is the most popular VoIP and most people can't be bothered to download two different programs that do almost the same thing.

^ what he said, exact excuse many people give.

Skype is the most popular communication, but usually not for gaming purposes. Though I've used Skype before to game. Teamspeak and mumble are better suited for it. Also Oovoo is a better free chat program than Skype.