PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people govern themselves

LelouchLawliet
03-31-2016, 01:50 AM
Very few politicians actually did and stood for what they openly said to the public. So, why can't people abolish that and be independant? We didn't need politics before they existed. And did the one who invented college go to college? (rhetorical question)

RippleApple
03-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Anarchy counterargument:

That's a beautiful home you got there.

It's mine now. Because I want it, and because there's no organized police force there to help you stop me.

Democracy counterargument:

Oh boy I get to vote today to determine whether our community will or won't fill out form 564326121659. An important form indeed. This one determines whether we vote to eat today or wait until tomorrow. Too bad our economy is garbage. If we eat today we won't be able to eat tomorrow and vice-versa. Of course we haven't eaten in about four days now. If only we didn't continually vote to borrow money without any plans to pay it back and then spent it all on frivolous crap, and then got so far in debt that if we didn't pay it back we'd all be starving because other countries refuse to lend us any money... and now because we didn't pay it back we're all starving. DEMOCRACY! The will of the people is absolutely insane!

LelouchLawliet
03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry, but Democracy or any form of politics are just labels with same purpose: Exploiting the citizens.
What i meant, should also include facts ofcourse: i.e about work→ Studies showed that when pople work 6h instead of 8h, they are more happy, less chance of depression and can even work harder and give better ideas.

And about organized police force... i.e if you were abused by a high authority: Rotschilds, they will most likely get away even with all odds against them. So long the money pile adds up, police really couldn't care less about your rights.

In Wildstar game, in terms and conditiones it states that in case of illegal activities, you have no right of defending yourself and the punishment will be decided by Wildstar's game company. It even states the terms and conditions may change even after clicking accept, which is highly illegal and punished by law.

LelouchLawliet
03-31-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm not saying there will never be a mistake, but in any case not so much as going to wars and puting the country (U.S.A) in even more debt than it was. People should vote and after the voting, 1 random smart person in society should say why would it be a bad idea and why good idea, with evidence.

Anyway, thanks for reply.

Sirvanas
03-31-2016, 01:47 PM
People have to remember that politicians are also people. There are some that are corrupted but most of the are up there because they want something to happen. If they say are going to do something most of the time they mean it. The only problem is that they cant do whatever they want. (Im talking about the us.) The us democracy is made so that no person has absolute power. No president can assure you that they will do something. They just dont have enough control over the government.

Agent2090
03-31-2016, 02:05 PM
We didn't need politics before they existed.

Humans are social creatures. More than that, humans are tribal creatures. In each tribe (for lack of a better word), a leader always emerges. Maybe not an official one, but someone that everyone in the tribe looks to for guidance and leadership.

This is the very basics of politics.

Leaderless societies no longer exist today, because leaderless societies do not work.

Najh98
03-31-2016, 04:22 PM
if we didn't have a government, the world would be in chaos. We'd all probably be dead from multiple nuclear bombs. Especially from North Korea.

RippleApple
03-31-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry, but Democracy or any form of politics are just labels with same purpose: Exploiting the citizens.
What i meant, should also include facts ofcourse: i.e about work→ Studies showed that when pople work 6h instead of 8h, they are more happy, less chance of depression and can even work harder and give better ideas.

Do you even know what a pure Democracy looks like?

Time to pass a basic intelligence check.

What are the trademarks of a pure Democracy versus a Democratic Republic?

Aurasai
04-01-2016, 12:49 PM
I actually wrote a huge wall of text here (that I saved in word document just in case :D ) and halfway trough I figured that no one will read it. Have a video instead. It will explain the difference between democracy and a republic, and why dictatorship and anarchism cannot actually exist in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS6fyUIklI
Regardless of the name, this does not apply to the US government alone!

TyrIsOPBruh
04-01-2016, 03:09 PM
A recent Princeton Study concluded that the USA is in fact an oligarchy because a small group of people (Politicians, Businessmen, etc.) control the majority of our lives. The reason I find this to be accurate is that theoretically a normal person can become a congressman or the president, but In reality many of our politicians are come from wealthy families with lots of power.

Aurasai
04-01-2016, 03:29 PM
A recent Princeton Study concluded that the USA is in fact an oligarchy because a small group of people (Politicians, Businessmen, etc.) control the majority of our lives. The reason I find this to be accurate is that theoretically a normal person can become a congressman or the president, but In reality many of our politicians are come from wealthy families with lots of power.

Well the person who wins the presidential election is usually the one who had the most expensive presidential campaign. And unless you happen to have a quarter to half a billion (or perhaps even more in 2016) to spend on PR, even if you become a president you essentially work for your creditors, as they were the ones to put you in that position in the first place. For that reason, there is absolutely no way a person outside of the Democratic or Republican party (both of whom seem to represent pretty much the same thing) can ever get a position of power outside of those 2 parties. Also that makes it impossible for a new political party to be created and to hold any power whatsoever.

A democratic parliament requires several conflicting ideologies. This must also include a nationalist party and a communist party. While the majority of them have no actual purpose, having multiple conflicting political parties means that they mutually try to screw each other and that keeps everything from falling into a total oligarchy.

RippleApple
04-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Well the person who wins the presidential election is usually the one who had the most expensive presidential campaign.

Usually.

Marco Rubio got shit on big time though.

AcidTheWarlock
04-01-2016, 10:13 PM
I want to run for office some day and get into politics. Most people where I live don't come from rich families; they're ordinary people with ideas.

TyrIsOPBruh
04-05-2016, 02:16 PM
i want to run for office some day and get into politics. Most people where i live don't come from rich families; they're ordinary people with ideas.

just do it! Don't let you're memes be dreams!

EpicWinnar
04-06-2016, 01:55 AM
People can't govern themselves, because then we get shit like patch 3.6

Edit: Rage aside, humans as a species crave structure. We like things that are routine. Having a system of government in place whether it be parliamentary, monarchy, it provides a semblance that there is a strict order that the world adheres to.

ImmortalMoose
04-06-2016, 07:19 PM
To abolish the government you would essentially be stagnating many as yet untenable, for private companies, technologies and advancements. While it might sound good to not be "oppressed", I air quote that because you're not in any extreme sense. You'd be giving up vaccinations, such as the one for polio, and nuclear energy, and space exploration, and GPS, and standardized education requirements, and the myriad of other advancements that can really only come from a government due to private citizens and companies generally being solely about profit and these ventures being unjustifiably costly. All of which to be without would be detrimental.

While I don't subscribe to the idea that people will start stealing houses, because a society would still exist with norms and self regulation because we are an innately social species, so morals and norms will still exist. Now there will always be mental illnesses which can lead to harming others in which case I would almost always prefer a trained officer's interference than some bumpkin's. And while police brutality is a problem I guarantee that the brutality of an autonomous body that sought justice with no oversight, which would inevitably form; as will government again because that's what historical evidence dictates.

Now, working 6 hours instead of 8. I find it hard to see how that could be implemented without government.

Aurasai
04-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Now, working 6 hours instead of 8. I find it hard to see how that could be implemented without government.

The 40 hour workweek is a fairly new concept. Many companies would be glad to pay you less, for you to work just a few hours at your maximum productivity, but at the moment the 40 hour workweek is a standard imposed by governments and much less by the place you work at.

EpicWinnar
04-07-2016, 02:04 AM
The 40 hour workweek is a fairly new concept. Many companies would be glad to pay you less, for you to work just a few hours at your maximum productivity, but at the moment the 40 hour workweek is a standard imposed by governments and much less by the place you work at.

Isn't that mostly a US thing, though?

From what I hear, over in EU it's a lot more lenient towards that, and there's also much more paid time off as well.

ImmortalMoose
04-07-2016, 02:18 AM

Fair point, though to be considered a full time employee, where I am at least, you're required to work 30 hours. There is however no overtime until over 40 hours.

Edit: Occurred to me after I posted, but the requirements for a certain amount of hours required being higher potentially benefits companies. Now of course this completely changes based on there being no government. But once you work for a certain amount of hours companies are required to give you certain benefits. If you have to work more for those benefits then that potentially is more beneficial to the company. Now with no government you can say the companies could lower 30 hours, were I am, to say 25 and hire more workers to fill in extra time that you're not working. But then couldn't a company potentially withhold any benefits because potentially it could cost less to simply train a new employee if you're out of commission, especially with low skilled jobs?

On another note there are other societal detriments that could occur as a result of no government regulation, such as slavery. It's 1:38 am I will ponder this more tomorrow.

Aurasai
04-07-2016, 02:23 AM
Isn't that mostly a US thing, though?

From what I hear, over in EU it's a lot more lenient towards that, and there's also much more paid time off as well.

Depends on the country.

TyrIsOPBruh
04-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Depends on the country.

I know that Germany doesn't have the 40 hour work week and that it's pretty great actually.